Cycling directions on Apple Maps

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonineaston

Cycling directions on Apple Maps

Post by simonineaston »

Does anyone know why cycling directions aren't available around, say, Bristol, UK currently? Other forms of direction are.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Re: Cycling directions on Apple Maps

Post by Jdsk »

Not this problem?
viewtopic.php?p=1688123&hilit=apple+maps#p1688123

Do you get cycling directions elsewhere OK?

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

No, not that issue, but another. Walking guidance does nearly as well, but estimated journey times obviously out. Clicking Learn More simply shows a list of locations where cycling routes are available eg London, United Kingdom - Bristol is absent from the list.
screenshot of iPhone
screenshot of iPhone
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I get the same on iOS 15.3.1

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

"Cycling directions not available"

Don't make me laugh! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Loadsa routes from here at home ........... main roads, back roads, and even a cycle track for much of the way.
Can't say I have considered using my iPhone for working out a route. I wouldn't bother if I were you.
IMG_1229.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 16 May 2022, 4:23pm "Cycling directions not available"
What Apple means by cycling directions:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/i ... ac5856/ios

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Done that.
It's rubbish.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It works for a car though! :wink:
IMG_1230.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

The message says "Cycling Directions Not Available" NOT that there are no cycling routes available. When introducing many features it will take time to develop and test the regional specifics and for a pretty well worldwide product Apple would be daft to withhold functionality until everyway has been sorted, tested, etc.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 16 May 2022, 3:49pmWalking guidance does nearly as well, but estimated journey times obviously out. Clicking Learn More simply shows a list of locations where cycling routes are available eg London, United Kingdom - Bristol is absent from the list.
Psamathe wrote: 16 May 2022, 4:43pm The message says "Cycling Directions Not Available" NOT that there are no cycling routes available. When introducing many features it will take time to develop and test the regional specifics and for a pretty well worldwide product Apple would be daft to withhold functionality until everyway has been sorted, tested, etc.
I can't find an official announcement of when the coverage will increase or any discussion in the Apple support forum or any rumours.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The message says "Cycling Directions Not Available" NOT that there are no cycling routes available.
While it's kind of you to remind us, I had in fact worked that out for myself, not least by having cycled the route-of-interest last week and self-evidently managed to cycle not only there - but back again ! :wink:
I can't find an official announcement of when the coverage will increase or any discussion in the Apple support forum or any rumours.
No, I couldn't either. Long gone, too, are the days when one could post on the Apple support pages and expect any sort of coherent answer...
S
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Android everyday!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonineaston wrote: 16 May 2022, 6:22pm
The message says "Cycling Directions Not Available" NOT that there are no cycling routes available.
While it's kind of you to remind us, I had in fact worked that out for myself, not least by having cycled the route-of-interest last week and self-evidently managed to cycle not only there - but back again ! :wink:....
I appreciated that. I got the impassion some others hadn't appreciated the distinction.

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Cheers :-)
I think the issue has been around for a while, and it seems to revolve around whoever Apple have chosen to work with for mapping services. Some map features, like "transit" ie public transport, are listed as 'United Kingdom', which implies they are country-wide; others, like cycling routes, are limited to London.
The pinch point is almost certainly with the service provider as opposed to Apple's hardware or phone os...
Thank goodness for cycle.travel, eh?!
screenshot of Apple cycling map by region
screenshot of Apple cycling map by region
S
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 16 May 2022, 10:01pm I think the issue has been around for a while, and it seems to revolve around whoever Apple have chosen to work with for mapping services. Some map features, like "transit" ie public transport, are listed as 'United Kingdom', which implies they are country-wide; others, like cycling routes, are limited to London.
The pinch point is almost certainly with the service provider as opposed to Apple's hardware or phone os...
Apple's maps and Apple Maps both have a complicated history:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Maps

Jonathan