Pan Verses Kettle

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Nearholmer

Re: Pan Verses Kettle

Post by Nearholmer »

And. the guarantee that the self-appointed leaders who forcibly depose the elected leaders will serve the people, rather than their own interests, where does that come from?

From pots to Pol Pot, and kettles to kleptocracy, in one simple step.
Wenagade

Post by Wenagade »

Oddball said have a little faith , whats with the negative vybes ! ...

Everest isn't actually complicated when you add up three 8s.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Polypill
Whoo-Hoo - something to manage my hypertension, high cholesterol, alcohol dependency, stiff shoulder, greying hair, memory loss, guard against Covid and Lassa, Dengue & Yellow Fevers, toothache, astigmatism and a runny nose - and finally maybe even fix the inescapable tendency to bore my friends, all at once - brilliant !!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Tim Holman

Post by Tim Holman »

Yes! Gimme some of that Polypill. Do you get it from somewhere near Stac Pollaigh? I've been there.
Tim
rjb

Post by rjb »

The older members know it as medicinal compound. Available here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2x8D4T--0v4. Enjoy
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Tim Holman

Post by Tim Holman »

Good Old Lily. I knew her in the village.
Tim
richards

Post by richards »

I’m assuming everyone else has noticed Wenegade’s self-described location. I hadn’t and thought he/she/it meant what he/she/it was saying. I’m a bit slow these days. In brain as well as on bike.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Is Wen a-one o' them anti-trolls - a poster apparently so loopy i' the opinions that all and sundry are induced to vent their spleens, thus feeling better than when the bile caused by consumption of news from the mad-world has built up to intolerable levels? If so, I offer thanks, despite having already found other anti-bile-buildup mechanisms, such as the 300M climb up to the masts on Mynydd Llanllwni with eyeballs out, to settle the restless organ.

The Wen's language seems to be "obscure-poetic" which is also a useful thing since it encourages one's imagination to flex and stretch as the mysterious utterances hove into one's eye-brain demanding a decipherment.

What a selfless act, to devote so much time and effort to serving these needs at no cost to the consumers of the service!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
slowster

Post by slowster »

Cugel wrote: 8 May 2022, 8:51am Is...
It is nice to see you back Cugel. I hope you are well.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

slowster wrote: 8 May 2022, 8:59am
Cugel wrote: 8 May 2022, 8:51am Is...
It is nice to see you back Cugel. I hope you are well.
+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

I yam very well, thank you, despite both national and international events perpetrated by a wide range of mad-loon. But I felt that I might indulge myself once more in interesting conversations with various interlocutors before that Crazy Ruski presses his Big Red Button in a fit of pique, so we must all perish of radiation-rot.

Mind, two of my toofs are to be replaced with implants, as their crowns have not just tarnished but crumbled. Not only does this cause immense pain in the wallet but also various unpleasant periods sat in a chair whilst various sadists have their wicked way with me gob! I try to think of it all as "character-forming".

Cugel, looking forward to this afternoon's bike ride in the balmy 18 degrees down (but mostly/moistly up) the flower-emblazoned West Welsh lanes.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

SporranMcDonald wrote: 3 May 2022, 2:21pm Configurations may vary :

Efficiency as in kWh to boil a give quantity of water
========
Kettle better than pan
Electric kettle better than kettle on gas hob

Carbon Dioxide produced minimising Greenhouse Gas production
====================
Kettle better than pan
Electric kettle better than kettle on gas hob

Using a Grid average of 250g CO2 / kWh for Electricity
& 450g CO2 / kWh for Gas
where do you get the 450g co2 per kwh for gas from ?

I'm findng the figyre of 185g per kwh for natural gas
https://www.carbonindependent.org/15.html

which compares poorly against the uk average for electric last year of 232g per kWh
https://electricityinfo.org/real-time-b ... ty-supply/

I appreciate losses in transmission but I had thought electric with all its wind solar and nuclear contributions would of had a lower co2 fig than gas.
SporranMcDonald

Post by SporranMcDonald »

Pebble wrote: 10 May 2022, 4:17pm
I'm findng the figyre of 185g per kwh for natural gas
https://www.carbonindependent.org/15.html

which compares poorly against the uk average for electric last year of 232g per kWh
https://electricityinfo.org/real-time-b ... ty-supply/

I appreciate losses in transmission but I had thought electric with all its wind solar and nuclear contributions would of had a lower co2 fig than gas.
Thanks for correcting me. I can only suspect that I picked up a somewhat augmented Gas figure ( 450g/kWh = incorrect )from some arcane argument elsewhere on the internet..
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I was surprised by the comparison between gas and electricity too, so read a bit more deeply.

First, gas isn’t 185g/kWh, it’s 203.

Here’s what the linked website says:

“In 2006, the total UK gas supplied was 1,047,000 GWh, but of this 79,400 GWh was 'Energy industry use' and 12,000 GWh was 'Losses' (see source [5] Table 4.1). These total inefficiencies were 91,400 GWh, i.e. 8.7%, and so the CO2 emissions need to be adjusted by this amount from 0.185 to 0.203 kg / kWh.”

I believe that this difference is down mainly to the use of gas-fired gas compressors in the transmission system, plus possibly some flaring to maintain pressure regulation during extreme load-swings.

And, why is electricity “so high”? Because still a significant proportion of it is generated in gas fired generating stations.

So, the difference isn’t as great as suggested back up-thread, but it still is in favour of gas when averaged across the year.
uwidavid

Post by uwidavid »

As I used to do chemistry it is a simple matter to look up the heat of combustion of methane then convert it to kWh. The figure I get is 178 g of CO2 per kWh. You will need to downgrade this due to distribution losses and the efficiency of the device using the gas. Seems strange that this value differs from the official value - is there some longer chain hydrocarbons (mixed in with the methane) pushing up the CO2?