Cycling trousers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
in4time

Cycling trousers

Post by in4time »

I’ve been trying quite a few pairs of those long trousers that seem popular these days. They’re made of artificial fabrics with some stretch in them. They are quite narrow at the ankle and sometimes have drawstrings or poppers there. Under Armour/Arcteryx/Montaine/Berghaus/North Face all manufacture their own version. Here’s Nukeproof:

https://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=D ... QCw&adurl=

Anyone actually using a pair for cycling/travelling?
Pendodave

Re: Cycling trousers

Post by Pendodave »

I use an old pair of montaine terras when I'm away. They keep the sun off, have side zips for ventilation and can be used off bike too. I roll them up to pedal pusher length if it's warm :oops:
I was eyeing up some endura Hummvees the other day, but since the Terras are indestructible, i started to question my out of control consumerist tendancies and stepped away!
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

If you buy ones that aren’t made specifically for cycling in, they are cut too narrow on the upper leg and knee, and too low in the back, so quickly become ruddy uncomfortable when riding - pulling down at the back, and tight on the knees.

Personally, my one try of long trousers designed for MTB riders wasn’t a lot more positive - I get the impression that most MYB riders don’t spend long periods in the saddle just gentle plodding along, they are on and off the bike more, and standing up a fair bit while on it. so gear designed for them is different.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Recommend the Humvee long trouser - not especially cycle specific.

Humvee short is good too but I find it can chafe the tops of my thighs.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
PH

Post by PH »

in4time wrote: 15 May 2022, 9:13am https://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=D ... QCw&adurl=

Anyone actually using a pair for cycling/travelling?
I have those Nukeproofs, really like them, material is so thin and stretchy I thought they'd be worn through in a month, but they're lasting well (I do cycle delivery and they've been worn 100's of hours). Not suitable for cold weather, partly because they're so thin, they also have some small ventilation holes in the front, very fast drying if they get wet. I also have some Castelli Milano trousers which I also like, but if I could chose one pair it'd be the Nukes.
Most of my cycling has been done in non specific trousers, I've had several pairs of Rohan Troggings which are still my go to for cooler weather. Plus several pairs of other jogging type trousers with varying satisfaction, not always proportional to the price. They've all be fine, just some more so than others.
I also had some Adidas Trackstand trousers, OK but not exceptional and I wore them out fairly quickly. I felt a bit conned when I got them, they appear to be the same as any other Adidas track trousers with the only cycling feature some poppers on the hem to gather the bottoms in away from the chain. That works so well that I've added them to another pair of trousers.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I ended up with Decathlon's. 40 quid instead of twice that from companies like Endura. I ended up using them for commuting as they proved to be slightly shower proof
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I bought a pair of skiing trousers. Turn out to be very good for cycling. Lined front for warmth and unlined behind. Maybe a bit short on rear waist, but I have flat bars so not a problem. Full length zip on outer of leg so easy to get on and off over shoes. I wear padded shorts underneath.

Saw them in a charity shop, brand new with the $100 pricetag still attached. Paid £4.50.

https://www.amazon.com/Swix-Winter-Coun ... B09LRDYC57
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I use Berghaus Ortler 2 trousers as my work trousers when cycling in, or on other occasions when long trousers are desirable after arrival.

They have an elastic drawcord at the ankle, which works well to keep the trousers clear of the chainset etc if pulled reasonably close just below the knee, and the trousers folded back under themselves, plus-8 style.
toontra

Post by toontra »

PH wrote: 15 May 2022, 11:41am I have those Nukeproofs, really like them, material is so thin and stretchy I thought they'd be worn through in a month, but they're lasting well (I do cycle delivery and they've been worn 100's of hours). Not suitable for cold weather, partly because they're so thin, they also have some small ventilation holes in the front, very fast drying if they get wet.
These look good. The sizing seems weird though. I'm a 32 waist (actual) so that puts me in line for the small (32"-34"), which being 6' makes me worried about leg length. Also there don't appear to be belt loops so if I went for the medium and the waist is too big, would the velcro straps have sufficient adjustment to pull them in?

Any experiences welcome!
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I find the Craghoppers Kiwi classic walking trousers have a good range of sizes, are reasonably durable, comfortable, cheap, quick dry, and stylish. What more could one ask for.!! Cheap, as in circa £25, less if you get lucky. You will probably require trouser clips as they aren't drainpipe legged.
in4time

Post by in4time »

Another factor discovered through trying a few pairs on is how ‘shallow’ I find them; not enough ‘Mecca’ or ‘Strictly’ using more modern parlance. I’m actually back to rummaging through my craghopper collection as I think I have an older pair that might be cut more suitably for riding in.
mjr

Post by mjr »

SimonCelsa wrote: 16 May 2022, 6:01pm I find the Craghoppers Kiwi classic walking trousers have a good range of sizes, are reasonably durable, comfortable, cheap, quick dry, and stylish. What more could one ask for.!! Cheap, as in circa £25, less if you get lucky. You will probably require trouser clips as they aren't drainpipe legged.
The kiwi fabric is a bit love or hate, if anyone hasn't tried it before.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

toontra wrote: 16 May 2022, 3:36pm
PH wrote: 15 May 2022, 11:41am I have those Nukeproofs, really like them, material is so thin and stretchy I thought they'd be worn through in a month, but they're lasting well (I do cycle delivery and they've been worn 100's of hours). Not suitable for cold weather, partly because they're so thin, they also have some small ventilation holes in the front, very fast drying if they get wet.
These look good. The sizing seems weird though. I'm a 32 waist (actual) so that puts me in line for the small (32"-34"), which being 6' makes me worried about leg length. Also there don't appear to be belt loops so if I went for the medium and the waist is too big, would the velcro straps have sufficient adjustment to pull them in?

Any experiences welcome!
That's a tricky one! I'm not sure I can answer it helpfully. You're right there's no belt loops, or any easy way to use one. The velcro tabs on either side gather in about an inch each, except they're attached to so very stretchy elastic so I'm not sure how firmly they'd gather it in.
I'm a 38" waist, the XL fit me fine, but I've used the adjustment at both extremes depending on what I have tucked into them.
toontra

Post by toontra »

Thanks PH. Guess I'll have to order on spec and be prepared to return if necessary. They certainly tick all the boxes otherwise.