Why two clicks to get to the camping forum

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Steve X

Why two clicks to get to the camping forum

Post by Steve X »

Just curious why the camping forum is not here?
viewtopic.php?t=57586
Psamathe

Re: Why two clicks to get to the camping forum

Post by Psamathe »

If I've understood the question properly I think it comes down to use of sub-forum areas to divide posts into sensible groupings (which also makes the search more effective). But too many sections on the main page makes navigating difficult (loads of vertical scrolling and links to sections to scroll through. But sub-sections does require and additional mouse click from the main forum list. Down to a compromise.

Ian
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Steve X wrote: 2 Apr 2022, 1:09pm Just curious why the camping forum is not here?
viewtopic.php?t=57586
It is there. Did you click on the URL in the first post of the thread you linked to?
freiston

Post by freiston »

There's always the bookmark/favourites facility of most modern web browsers: add the Camping sub-forum to your bookmarks and you won't even have to navigate via (either sequentially or directly) the Board index page, the Cycling board page, the Touring & Expedition page - just one click after opening your browser; of course, you could bookmark all forums and sub-forums in this fashion but then you will probably have a fair bit of searching/scrolling to get to the right board and you might want to organise your bookmarks into sub boards, forums and sub-forums ;-)
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
RickH

Post by RickH »

Psamathe wrote: 2 Apr 2022, 2:06pm If I've understood the question properly I think it comes down to use of sub-forum areas to divide posts into sensible groupings (which also makes the search more effective). But too many sections on the main page makes navigating difficult (loads of vertical scrolling and links to sections to scroll through. But sub-sections does require and additional mouse click from the main forum list. Down to a compromise.

Ian
It does seem to be one of very few subforums. I think there were more but now the only other ones are in the "Cycling UK Topics and Discussions" forum, & those seem to be more "historic" than active (neither looks like it has had posts since 2017).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

freiston wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 2:07pm There's always the bookmark/favourites [......] might want to organise your bookmarks into sub boards, forums and sub-forums ;-)
That is a solution, but not one I think I would use. I tend to come and surf a forum, unless I am looking for something in particular. I would think its possible that as the Camping Forum is off down a Cul de Sac, it gets less views, so answers get responses, so people are less likely to post there, a bit of a negative feedback loop thing.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

If the camping forum wasn't a subsection of touring & expedition, it would be down at the bottom in "Other", since it's not cycling.
Your extra click to get at it would be replaced by an equivalent amount of scrolling, and it wouldn't be any quicker or more obvious.

The "Camping Topics" sticky could maybe got rid of (or unstickied), but I dare say the mods think it's worth it to reduce the number of topics they have to move from touring to camping.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

One page of camping forum topics goes back over a year, so one could argue that both the camping and touring forum should be merged together
freiston

Post by freiston »

bohrsatom wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 8:18pm One page of camping forum topics goes back over a year, so one could argue that both the camping and touring forum should be merged together
But if they were merged, I would have to go back seven pages to see all the camping topics that are currently on page one of the camping sub-forum - and I would have to sift them out from the non-camping posts. Personally I prefer the arrangement of having a camping sub-forum - there are times when I'm in the mood to "browse" camping topics and I will happily go back beyond page one - but to have to go back seven times that and sift through the non-camping topics would make it not so much a happy task.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I have often wodered that. If you look in the touring section you have the subsection link. That takes you to a post with a link to a post. So two clicks after you get into touring etc.
Or you use the subsection label at the very top which makes more sense but I have never spotted that until today. It's the first method that is silly
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Click on Touring & Expedition, the Camping sub-board then appears at the top. I'd never noticed this "Camping topics" sticky until now but clearly it's distracting some people. It's been there 14 years, maybe time for the mods to remove it?