COVID recovery time

Psamathe

Re: Getting going again after Covid

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 12:00pm
Psamathe wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 11:54am Likely an "Old Wives Tale" but when I was younger I was told that the reason people catch Upper Respiratory Infections in winter is when you go out in cold air the blood circulation in your sinuses/nose changes making it easier for bugs to get into your body. Not wearing a coat was nothing to do with the explanation.

Like I say, probably just an "Old Wives Tale" and I certainly can't quote any authoritative sources (no doubt Mums Net would provide pages of confirmation - which would "say it all!!!). Not trying to spread medical misinformation.

It's interesting how some quite plausible yet baseless theories can gain so much traction. Like the losing <large number>% of body heat through your scalp and hence the importance of wearing a beanie.
It sure is.

Jonathan
I posted above to the wrong thread (it's what can happen when several similar "Covid" threads are running). should have been posted to the "A cold night ride ..." thread but I'm not going to duplicate/re-post as it's hardly "important information".

Ian
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

I've been taking it easy,. despite my body telling me to do the opposite, not that spring has truly sprung.

I aim for 70 miles a day by mid June, I'm at 55 more, so all seems to be going well
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

When did the lurgy strike you?

TBH, I’m being nosey and trying to work out your “build up rate”.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

gbnz wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 9:26am Have to admit I still take care - face mask, hand washing, cleaning surfaces, etc, etc. But had so many dozens of hours on congested buses and train recently, 3 hours on a packed train this weekend, standing room only, sans mask , no one remotely wearing a mask or taking care.
And? Still can't catch covid.

Perhaps it is time to forget it?
NO - it hasn't gone away. I'm still using masks in shops etc. and keeping away from crowds and crowded places as much as I can.

My other 'alf and self have been on an ONS survey for the last 18 months, this involves a monthly swab and blood test, they send the results back a couple of days later. My latest (last week) shows "High levels of antibodies". We could see this changing as we had our jabs, and each month hope that it remains high. But part of the the ONS monitoring of course is to see to what extent, if any, the antibodies "wear off" -personally I don't want to be in a position where, for example, our tests come back as "Antibodies low, positive for COVID" (I think our swab test is for the more sensitive PCR check which might pick up evidence of infection which our regular lateral flow tests might not) with the knowledge that we might have passed the infection on to others. We've seen what it can do, and we see what long covid can do, on a regular basis.

COVID still demands not fear, but respect for its impact and keeping the habits is better than having to get back into them.

OK soap-box now gone..

Back to the OP's question - take whatever advice you can, and keep up to date with it 'cos things keep changing. Dr Ranj (who is I believea victim of long covid) came up with a reference site to look at on Breakfast TV a few weeks back but I can't remember what it was. And good luck.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

The effect on plumbers has been terrible -- I can't get one for love nor money.

Seriously we in NI are supposed to have the highest covid infection rate in the uk but I don't know anyone with the infection now.
I am here. Where are you?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I would advise erring on the side of caution. I know two people who thought they had recovered, increased their activity slowly, then a couple of weeks after resuming normal activity, had a day where they overdid it, and relapsed somewhat. Though the relapse was not as severe as the original illness, it still required a few more weeks of cautious increases in activity levels, and probably delayed their complete recovery by 3 - 4 weeks.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

At the risk of being moderated again ...................... :wink:

I had Covid in August last year.
Never had a symptom until after I was negative .......... but then, I could hardly get out of my armchair.
Post Covid is no joke and it took me nearly a month before I was on song again.
Early September - I was tired, had shortness of breath, palpitations, dizziness and depression and loss of appetite.

I use - stress - that my use of "post" is meaning "afterwards" and I'm NOT talking about a syndrome.
Get that one straight!

It ain't no joke, and it needs a while before you can get back to cycling and good exercise ........ or it did for me.
Mick F. Cornwall
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Yes, both my neighbour and my son overdid it and relapsed, and effectively had to start the recovery process all over again.

Touching lots of wood, I think I’m now back at the level of stamina that I was at the week before I went down with it, it having taken six weeks of very careful build-up since testing free of it to get to that point.

So now I’m effectively two months behind where I would expect to be by this time of year, and have postponed a ride to Derbyshire and around the Peaks that o had planned for the end of May - no way will I be ready for that by then.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Vorpal wrote: 12 May 2022, 2:50pm I would advise erring on the side of caution.
As has all of the professional advice that I have seen.

Some have offered schedules and some sufferers will like having those available, as previously discussed. I wouldn't recommend that.

Jonathan
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Nearholmer wrote: 12 May 2022, 3:09pm Yes, both my neighbour and my son overdid it and relapsed, and effectively had to start the recovery process all over again.

Touching lots of wood, I think I’m now back at the level of stamina that I was at the week before I went down with it, it having taken six weeks of very careful build-up since testing free of it to get to that point.

So now I’m effectively two months behind where I would expect to be by this time of year, and have postponed a ride to Derbyshire and around the Peaks that o had planned for the end of May - no way will I be ready for that by then.
Hard luck, though useful info. I take the view that much in the same way I prefer avoiding colds, chest infections, broken bones or whatever, particularly during a superb "cycling" part of the year, I'd prefer to avoid Covid, which will be around "forever"

Though whilst still bleaching shopping, door handles, avoiding shops, only stopped wearing a mask 11-13 days ago, the reality does exist that two days on a train puts one in a carriage for hours where no is wearing a mask, there's no ventilation, I moved into the aisle for the last hour when 3 passengers were coughing every 30-150 seconds, sans mask (Nb. Covid doesn't exist anymore?)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

We both (79 yo's) got 4th Covid jabs (Moderna) yesterday, I feel fine but my wife doesnt feel 100%. My 44 year old son in law had his 3rd jab and had to spend the next day in bed?

We are often the only folk masked. We both had Covid once but it wasnt bad

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was chatting to someone a week or so ago, as she had Covid about the same time as me - summer last year.
She said that her sense of smell had changed.
I replied that I'd not noticed.

However, her words sort of rattled around in my brain, and it slowly dawned on me that my sense of smell has changed too.
It appears to me, that some things I can't smell at all, or very faintly. Difficult to say what, but I am aware of it now it's been pointed out to me.

Has anyone on here noticed this issue?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 18 May 2022, 8:31am I was chatting to someone a week or so ago, as she had Covid about the same time as me - summer last year.
She said that her sense of smell had changed.
I replied that I'd not noticed.

However, her words sort of rattled around in my brain, and it slowly dawned on me that my sense of smell has changed too.
It appears to me, that some things I can't smell at all, or very faintly. Difficult to say what, but I am aware of it now it's been pointed out to me.

Has anyone on here noticed this issue?
It's quite well covered in the NHS advice as linked upthread:

"Supporting your recovery after COVID-19":
https://www.yourcovidrecovery.nhs.uk

"Taste and smell":
https://www.yourcovidrecovery.nhs.uk/ma ... and-smell/

That describes what's known about the effect including how common it is and how long it might last, and how to improve the taste of food.

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cowsham wrote: 12 May 2022, 2:43pm The effect on plumbers has been terrible -- I can't get one for love nor money.

Seriously we in NI are supposed to have the highest covid infection rate in the uk but I don't know anyone with the infection now.
Lucky you! People still dropping like flies here, but nearly all recovering after some time down, most slowly.

If you'd like to discuss plumber migration, the brexit or heat pump threads might be more appropriate.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks Jonathan, but that article is much too over-the-top.
The changes with me are far more subtle than that article describes.
Taste for me, hasn't changed, it's just that some things smell differently or weaker. Can't put my finger on which or what or how many.
Mick F. Cornwall