c1990 Al wheel question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Nearholmer

c1990 Al wheel question

Post by Nearholmer »

Yesterday, I was given a c1990 Peugeot steel-framed hybrid, which seems to have had very little use, and is in very good condition other than having been massively over-oiled, then left to stand in a garage for decades, so in need of serious de-greasing.

Question about the wheels: the rims have a lip where the side meets the face into which the spokes fit. I ought to remember, but don’t: is this a feature of how wheels were made at the time, or is it a function of wear?

To me, it doesn’t look like wear, it’s too perfect, and too identical between the two wheels. Although difficult to see in the photo, there is no corresponding groove/lip
on the outer edge of the rim.

I hope this illustrates it clearly.
38475CE0-D688-400A-B256-7F75EBF3D209.jpeg
reohn2

Re: c1990 Al wheel question

Post by reohn2 »

If both rims have exactly the same feature it could be a feature of the rim as both front and rear rims seldom wear at the same rate.
What make is the rim,there should be something on them unless they're at the really cheap end of the market.
What condition are the brake blocks in?

More pictures from different angles might help.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

They seem to be a Michelin wheel (I didn’t know they made wheels) on Maillot hubs.

EDIT: No, the Michelin is just the tape inside. I think they are probably Rigida, although the text on the stickers has faded away. I can read ‘Laser’, which was a Rigida branding.

It’s an ordinary, mass-market, mid-range bike, sachs-huret gears, tektro brakes. Interestingly, the components seem more ‘solid’ than their modern equivalents.
mig

Post by mig »

difficult to see exactly but that looks to me like an averagely used rim with wear at the bottom of the braking surface from blocks set too low.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Having managed, with great difficulty to get one tyre off, here’s what I hope is a better picture.

The shiny bit is a lip, all the way round, both sides, both wheels, exactly even.
Attachments
01919C1C-03DB-4452-BA37-6FA5EA8C07FE.jpeg
531colin

Post by 531colin »

As cantilever brake pads wear, they move down the rim due to the placing of the pivot.
Your "lip" may be an attempt to "manage" this , but I can't see it really working....at best it will wear off the lip that forms on the bottom of the brake block where it is no longer worn by the rim.

I have never seen this before!
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Ah, yes, its ages since I fiddled about with cantilever brakes, and these block-wear things that you describe are now re-surfacing in my mind.

Anyway, the rim seems sound, and the wall-thickness feels OK (I can't find my caliper to check it properly at the moment), so I'll probably persist with these wheels, especially since I'm not overly keen to spend any more money on this than is unavoidable!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Badly worn rims are always concave......these look OK in the pictures
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

No concavity that I can detect by laying a steel straight-edge across it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

531colin wrote: 18 May 2022, 12:11pm Badly worn rims are always concave......these look OK in the pictures
My thoughts too!

If the OP measures the braking surface thickness that will tellmthe correct tale but I strongly suspect they're not worn but that the lip is a feature of the rim.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden