Julian Assange? Who's that?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Julian Assange? Who's that?

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote: 11 May 2022, 10:23am
thirdcrank wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 11:56am I see that Westminster Magistrates' Court has now made the extradition order and the decision is now with the Home Secretary, Priti Patel, subject to appeal

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... order.html
And, with the government including "free speech" measures in the Queen's speech, here's a view on why it matters so much from a liberal/ centrist point of view: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... xtradition
Knowing Priti Patel's track record of inhumanity toward refugees,what's the betting on her decision?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If odds were being offered, the number of court cases before the final decision might be worth a punt. And in the meantime, the only prospect for JA is interminable custody.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

What the USA does not want to reveal, and why they are so vengeful.
Julian Assange indictment fails to mention WikiLeaks video that exposed US 'war crimes' in Iraq
‘Shameful’ Collateral Murder footage shows Apache helicopter mowing down 11 civilians – including two Reuters journalists – in Baghdad
US prosecutors have failed to include one of WikiLeaks’ most shocking video revelations in the indictment against Julian Assange, a move that has brought accusations the US doesn’t want its “war crimes” exposed in public.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/ ... es-in-iraq
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

A report and plea from Julian Assange's wife on DoubleDownNews :- https://youtu.be/3u8xedWY2Ek
12 minutes long
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I can't see the image.
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It's a pdf. I wonder if it's that problem with different browsers... hang on...

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

CommDH(2022)11_Letter to UK Secretary of State for the Home Department_EN.png
Any better?

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Yes much better thanks.
A sentiment in the letter with which I for one totally agree,to extradite Assange to the USA would mean certain death for a journalist who's only "crime" is exposing human rights crimes by a so called "free country".
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The Home Secretary has approved his extradition. Appeal seems likely.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Dark, dark days... One tiny glimmer of light was the verdict in Arron Banks' case for libel brought against Carole Cadwalladr. Banks lost. Phew. If anyone would like to watch the Ted talk (15m) that prompted the ghastly Banks to feel so sensitive, it's linked here There's a helpful article about the Ted talk and the libel case here on Byline Times.
Last edited by simonineaston on 17 Jun 2022, 12:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Fate can be cruel. Who could have imagined when this started all those years ago that it would become a distraction from partygate etc?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 11:24am Fate can be cruel. Who could have imagined when this started all those years ago that it would become a distraction from partygate etc?
I agree but also wonder if it is much of a distraction. Assange seems to have lost the headline prominence he had when the whole thing started. It will be news but brief and more of an announcement than much else.

When the extradition moves (to Sweden?) started I felt (personal view) that there was a fair amount of public sympathy and given the nature of the accusations he handled it fairly well (offering to be interviewed, full cooperation, etc., just not go to Sweden). I think a lot of that sympathy and interest has now gone - which maybe says something about how readily our society forgets things.

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Psamathe wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 11:55am
thirdcrank wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 11:24am Fate can be cruel. Who could have imagined when this started all those years ago that it would become a distraction from partygate etc?
I agree but also wonder if it is much of a distraction. Assange seems to have lost the headline prominence he had when the whole thing started. It will be news but brief and more of an announcement than much else.

When the extradition moves (to Sweden?) started I felt (personal view) that there was a fair amount of public sympathy and given the nature of the accusations he handled it fairly well (offering to be interviewed, full cooperation, etc., just not go to Sweden). I think a lot of that sympathy and interest has now gone - which maybe says something about how readily our society forgets things.

Ian
Well, yes. Have a look back at my OP, written when he was - technically at least - living in a foreign country. Inevitably, a lot has changed in the intervening five years (and four months for anybody counting the tiles in the cell). If he doesn't get newspapers etc., he might be surprised and saddened by the reality of your views
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 11:00am The Home Secretary has approved his extradition. Appeal seems likely.

Jonathan
Despicable,though not suprising from Priti Patel.

I hope the appeal succeeds!
W H Auden