Hotel in Penzance/Longrock

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Hotel in Penzance/Longrock

Post by Mick F »

Paulatic wrote: 16 May 2022, 8:10pm
Mick F wrote: 16 May 2022, 6:31pm Been through Innerleithen a few times back in the dim and distance past when we lived in Fife.
1975 perhaps. Lived there 1974 to 1980.

Can't remember a bakery or much there at all in those days.
Compared to the eighties you wouldn’t recognise Innerleithen now Mick. The economy there, vibrant, runs on cycling of a mountain bike downhill variety. At least three bike shops, cafes, merino clothing, and the bakers where I got a bacon roll, sausage roll, 2x flapjacks and change from a £5 note.
The money comes from Edinburgh and all points of the U.K. Camp site was busy and I was camped next to guys from Teesside , Lincolnshire and Wales all there for the cycling.
Take a look with Streetview you won’t believe the transformation. Peebles too just bursting with money from Edinburgh and cycling.
Thanks for that!

As a separate thing, I was looking at Dunfermline on Google Maps and Streetview yesterday.
We lived in married quarters in Rosyth from summer 1974 to spring of 1980, and our first daughter was born in "Dumfs" in 1975. Second daughter born over the river in Edinburgh Western General in 1979.

Dumfs has changed "terribly" not at all like it was, even the road from Rosyth to Dumfs is littered with roundabouts and stuff.
The maternity hospital in Dumfs - Izatt Road - is now a business centre.

The married quarters are all private housing, and the social club - The Forth Club - has gone. HMS Cochrane, the naval base RN accommodation has gone too.

Nothing stands still except memories from the past.
Mick F. Cornwall
puffin

Post by puffin »

Mick F wrote: 17 May 2022, 2:22pm
Paulatic wrote: 16 May 2022, 8:10pm
Mick F wrote: 16 May 2022, 6:31pm Been through Innerleithen a few times back in the dim and distance past when we lived in Fife.
1975 perhaps. Lived there 1974 to 1980.

Can't remember a bakery or much there at all in those days.
Compared to the eighties you wouldn’t recognise Innerleithen now Mick. The economy there, vibrant, runs on cycling of a mountain bike downhill variety. At least three bike shops, cafes, merino clothing, and the bakers where I got a bacon roll, sausage roll, 2x flapjacks and change from a £5 note.
The money comes from Edinburgh and all points of the U.K. Camp site was busy and I was camped next to guys from Teesside , Lincolnshire and Wales all there for the cycling.
Take a look with Streetview you won’t believe the transformation. Peebles too just bursting with money from Edinburgh and cycling.
Thanks for that!

As a separate thing, I was looking at Dunfermline on Google Maps and Streetview yesterday.
We lived in married quarters in Rosyth from summer 1974 to spring of 1980, and our first daughter was born in "Dumfs" in 1975. Second daughter born over the river in Edinburgh Western General in 1979.

Dumfs has changed "terribly" not at all like it was, even the road from Rosyth to Dumfs is littered with roundabouts and stuff.
The maternity hospital in Dumfs - Izatt Road - is now a business centre.

The married quarters are all private housing, and the social club - The Forth Club - has gone. HMS Cochrane, the naval base RN accommodation has gone too.

Nothing stands still except memories from the past.
On one LEJOG I stayed at the Traquair Arms. I came down to get a drink and a meal, and waiting at the bar I realised that everyone standing around me was at least 6 inches higher...at least. I reckoned I'd stumbled into a Giants Convention, I get the same kind of feeling when I'm putting the horses out. It was weird, i'm nigh on 6 foot. Does Innerleithen have a basketball team?

Also, is the Scottish expert from Bargain Hunt from Innerleithen?
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

From the webby thing - so it must be true:

"Scots are, by and large, the shortest people in the UK, with the typical man averaging 5ft 8in. This compares to 5ft 9in for Londoners."
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Tiggertoo wrote: 16 May 2022, 10:47pm I might try that.
I don't know how others cope with early morning starts for long rides - mostly Audax - but I always fiddle around and often forget something in my anxiety.
I haven't counted the number of times I have cycled away with my saddle bag unzipped and wallet hanging out or tubes and pump left laying in the car boot and even got ten miles once before realizing my helmet was not with me. So, getting breakfast out of the way to concentrate on getting the essentials packed away on me - and on the bike - would benefit from an early - and orderly - start.
As someone who lives in total chaos most of the time I’m all about order for cycle trips. My panniers pretty much are packed the same way every day. My bar bag has the same bits in it and I always keep stuff on me or the bike so it doesn’t get left behind (don’t put things on benches etc, attach to bike or bar bag or you eg in a pocket). I don’t rush off these days though- if I leave twenty minutes late unless there’s a critical ferry connection or something I’ll just arrive at the end 20 minutes later so not an issue. So I get your leaving things behind problems- they affect the rest of my daily life, but not cycling, that’s my Zen activity (mostly). I do suffer from some anxiety on cycle trips by the way as I mostly travel by myself and it’s stuff like train connections or challenging routes where things don’t go to plan (the definition of some parts of Italy) that worries me- I was ok on the Italian trip but I didn’t eat much and all the unexpected stuff that happened I dealt with fine. I guess I’ve reduced the anxiety about leaving stuff behind by having a strong system.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

puffin wrote: 18 May 2022, 10:01am?

Also, is the Scottish expert from Bargain Hunt from Innerleithen?
Which one?
Paul Laidlaw Carlisle ( born Edinburgh)
Anita Manning Glasgow
Roo Irvine Argyll & Bute
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info