Fitting a bike computer to rear wheel

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
belgiangoth

Fitting a bike computer to rear wheel

Post by belgiangoth »

E.g. if you are a luddite using a turbo trainer and want to measure your milage.
A standard computer is supposed to have a distance wheel/magnet to sensor based on fork spacing and the rear triangle (on my trike especially) is much wider.
I can solve this by taping the sensor to a die and then taping both onto the rear triangle, but it is neither elegant nor permanent. What do youse do?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
horizon

Re: Fitting a bike computer to rear wheel

Post by horizon »

This may not be relevant but my memory of trying to use a computer on the rear wheel* was that the cable isn't long enough if you want to read it on, say, the handlebars.

* I can't for the life of me remember why I wanted to do that either.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I just stuck mine where it worked. Stick the wheel magnet on and hold the sensor whilst moving the wheel.It will probably go nicely on the frame somewhere.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Decathlon have (or had) a wireless one where the sensor is wrapped around a hub, front or rear, no magnet. Use one on the turbo trainer and on the road with no need for changing the sender nor the receiver.
bjlabuk

Post by bjlabuk »

I use a Cateye Strada Cadence computer on my turbo trainer bike (an old mountain bike I converted to dropped handlebars, racing saddle and turbo specific rear tyre). The dual cable runs from the computer, mounted on the top of the handlebars, down the downtube, under the bottom bracket and onto the chain stay. There it splits into two and goes to two separate sensors, one near the bottom bracket and the other nearer to the rear wheel dropout. These two sensors work in conjunction with two magnets, one on the pedal crank arm (to measure cadence) and the other on the rear wheel spokes (to measure speed, distance, etc). There was plenty of cable to do this. If you do not get a cadence measuring computer then the cable is probably only going to be long enough to work from the front wheel. Your alternative would be to go wireless.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
When I used to do this I used to fix the Speedo if it was a wired one onto the turbo itself.
To be honest speedos are so cheap you can easily have a separate one on the turbo and leave the other one on the bike handlebars.
Sensor goes on the chain stay, as it is very similar to the front forks tube.

If you have a satnav with BT sensors, then just buy a speed and cadence combined sensor and mount that on the chain stay.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had a speed/cadence sensor with my Garmin, since sold. That was self-calibrated.

Also, some years later, have used a wireless Cateye thingy. Needed a magnet and to be calibrated for wheel circumference, and would fit on front or rear wheel. I used it on the rollers, but it would be fine on a turbo.
Mick F. Cornwall
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

If you use an Ant+ or Bluetooth wireless computer you can get a rear wheel sensor/transmitter, usually combined with a cadence sensor.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I just chopped the cable, soldered an extension piece in, put electrical tape over the join and attached the magnet to the real wheel and sensor to the chain stay. Worked fine for a turbo trainer.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....