Cycle trip south Devon

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Cycle trip south Devon

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Not a time to study it yet but it looks very detailed and interesting, good job.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

There are maps, pictures and links to GPX routes with full route instructions
Love the open clean look of that website and of course, my favourite part, is all the dashboard-type graphics and charts - wot fun!! Slightly odd switch from san-serif to serif font across the page I looked at, but I'm just being picky! Most inspiring - thanks for taking the time & effort which I imagine would have been a serious undertaking!
screenshot of website
screenshot of website
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Just come back from South Devon - it's rammed. So book ahead with accommodation! Also roads really busy. Inland could be better.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
alan dun

Post by alan dun »

ok thanks..a quiet getaway !!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I think I'll do the Devon coast to coast over the jubilee weekend - get the train to Barnstaple on Friday and do Barnstaple-Okehampton Saturday and Okehampton to Plymouth on Sunday.

I'm leaning to a couple of pricey hotels in Barnstaple and Okehampton until anyone can suggest some camping? I’ve now booked premier inn for Friday night in Barnstaple and a pub for Saturday night in Okehampton. Not much choice given the queens jubilee but the chance of a long weekend for cycling is always worth taking for us Monday to Friday wage slaves.

Dithering about dealing with the train reservation system for Totnes to Exeter or getting a family member to drop me in and then get the train to Barnstaple. Hoping they'll also be up from collecting me from Plym Bridge (may need to think of bribes). Maybe I can get my son to cycle the Yelverton to Plym bridge section with me to get his confidence up.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Mrs HJ, I'm just curious are you doing the whole coast to coast? Say Ilfracombe To Plympton.
North to south it's actually quite a pleasant ride even the bit from Ilfracombe through to Barnstable.
Finishing through Sultram Park, To me one of the most pleasurable and laid-back rides in Devon for sure.
I'm assuming you're following the cycle paths.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 20 May 2022, 11:30am Hi,
Mrs HJ, I'm just curious are you doing the whole coast to coast? Say Ilfracombe To Plympton.
North to south it's actually quite a pleasant ride even the bit from Ilfracombe through to Barnstable.
Finishing through Sultram Park, To me one of the most pleasurable and laid-back rides in Devon for sure.
I'm assuming you're following the cycle paths.
The Ilfracombe to Barnstaple section I'm not sure about (my inbuilt laziness gene isn't always overcome by my cycling enthusiasm gene when it comes to getting buses organised for the bike and cycling up hills etc.). I do have time to do it on the Friday though if I leave home at a sensible time for the train so maybe. Definitely the rest- will probably finish at Marsh Mills and hit up him indoors for a lift but I guess I could finish at Saltram (hadn't thought of that). Yes to the paths- I've done the Okehampton and Plymouth- Yelverton sections before with the kids but keen to do an A-B.

Have just had unexpectedly easy booking of my bike space for this Sunday morning to go NA-Exeter and then - Okehampton for a day ride on, I guess, NCN 28. Obviously can't book the Exeter to Okehampton leg but was pleasantly surprised by the website service for the booking and actually knowing which carriage I'm aiming for with my steed (always a plus).

Hmmm- looks like the bike bus might have stopped- is the Eggesford to Barnstaple section or the Tarka Trail nice?- might do that instead if I'm up there anyway....looks like the Tarka Trail page suggests that section should be train which is a shame. OK so maybe it's a loop to Braunton/Ilfracombe depending on how inclined I am from Barnstaple. Final thought- might get of the train at Umberleigh and have an afternoon out to Braunton before staying in Barnstaple.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

alan dun wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 9:26am ... am thinking about taking the train to Exeter and sticking to South Devon/Dartmoor instead.

Does anyone have any good tips/routes?

I'm a veteran in my 70's so looking to do no more than 35-40 miles a day.
Alternative angle to other posts:
If you can get to Exeter easily, the road over Dartmoor to Tavistock is ab-so-lutely fabulous! Yes it's hilly, but rarely steep. Just give yourself plenty of time and you might love it :)

(After Tavistock I headed direct to Liskeard, which was nice enough... but not AS nice. Better options are probably available! )
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

One observation I’d make about the coast to coast as a local is that it misses quite a lot of classic Dartmoor as it stays mostly to the edge of the moor. This makes sense from a routing point of view especially given that it uses several disused rail tracks. The second observation is that either my legs or gears still need some work (probably both but as I have fairly iron cast quads I’m going to do some further work on the gearing as well as a spending some time in the gym). I may also have trench foot- it’s been soggy especially compared to a fortnight in Italy where I never got my waterproof trousers and overshoes out. One weekend in Devon and they’ve seen use.

The high moor link of the Dartmoor way probably covers some of the big moor experience deficit. https://www.dartmoorway.co.uk/home.php
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Oh dear Mrs HJ! Was that yesterday morning? It did come down a bit.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Yep, I got very, very soggy but I’d prepaid for accommodation so no opting out. I have been wetter, we had a very rainy trip to the NL a few years ago.

The hills were worse than the rain- my gearing is very annoying with luggage but there were some beautiful long climbs from Hatherleigh to Okehampton that were good, the short steep ones are the issue. I still need to finish Tavistock to Plymouth (I got too cold and wet) so I’ll get the gears sorted and go back for that bit as a day trip.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi
You don't need gears for tavistock to plymouth its all down hill :)
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

MrsHJ wrote: 5 Jun 2022, 8:48pm The hills were worse than the rain- my gearing is very annoying with luggage but there were some beautiful long climbs from Hatherleigh to Okehampton that were good, the short steep ones are the issue. I still need to finish Tavistock to Plymouth (I got too cold and wet) so I’ll get the gears sorted and go back for that bit as a day trip.
The tarmac conditions leave a lot to be desired on the section from Hatherleigh to Okehampton too. Doesn’t make peddling easy. Tavistock to Plymouth is lovely but if you get wet, pop into mine for a cuppa as I’m two minutes off Drakes Trail!
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
The road from tavi to yelverton is quite fast and slick, but more so yelverton to tavistock IIRC.
The cycle track is more pleasant and swaps around the road a bit but is mainly off road.
Sunny day the cycle track, ugly day you might use the road for a quicker pass to get to the cafe's :)

https://www.bikemap.net/en/r/3413893/#1 ... 98/-4.1192
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

A train to Bridgwater is a usual starting point. When I was more able (illness now prevents) I frequently took a train to there and cycled past St John St Cycles (Station in the same road) on to Minehead which is not very far. I used a Brompton loaded with camping gear. Very enjoyable if a little busy route (A39).
From Minehead I know not which way to head because I have not done more. Dunster a couple of miles is a route which I have taken through to South Devon but by motorcycle. Nice roads though and pleasant scenery and a number of camping sites.