High cost of joining a cycling event

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PedallingSquares

Re: High cost of joining a cycling event

Post by PedallingSquares »

mattheus wrote: 19 May 2022, 10:53am
Nearholmer wrote: 19 May 2022, 8:41am Maybe a bigger issue with these mass rides is environmental impact, in that they encourage long car trips (most people don’t bike there!) and, in the case of gravel and MTB events they put the local physical environment under unusual stress.
I agree these things are worth considering.

- I dont stress about the former too much, as every weekend people drive to do other leisure stuff - a bike ride is no worse!
- Cutting up the trails? Not so sure .. I don't have the experience of MTB stuff ... I guess you'd need quite large numbers to do more harm than would occur over a typical weekend? I don't think the off-road events host anywhere near the hordes you see on the bigger sportives.
The Three Peaks Cyclo-cross has been running since 1961 and has around 600 riders compete.You can't ride the route any other time(legally) this is their header photo:-
The IOM End-to-end MTB ride used to get 100s of riders and ran for 25 years.
It's not only the riders but spectators so I would think there'd be more damage than on a typical weekend but that will happen with any event.
Last edited by PedallingSquares on 16 Jun 2022, 9:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Cugel wrote: 19 May 2022, 8:23am The cycling club I was a member of when living in NW England was £10 per year - and they weren't too fussed about collecting even that if a member was rather short of the dosh. There were three club runs a week as well as a weekly chain gang or two. The roads and routes covered included the south Lakes (and sometimes further north), the western Yorkshire Dales, the Bowland Fells and bit of the Pennines - thousands of miles of roads to choose from, through some stunning countryside.
Not all cycle clubs are in such wonderful areas.
Not everyone wants to ride with a cycle club - I agree that the majority are welcoming but one of the main barriers to joining clubs is the "perception" that they are elitist, for racers, full of rules, go too fast... It's a very real barrier, especially to minority groups who see a group of (almost exclusively) middle aged white men, often on very expensive bikes and decide that it's not for them.
Cycle clubs rely on a core group of people being available to lead rides and small clubs in particular often suffer from it being the same 2 or 3 folk leading people on what often turns into the same half dozen or so routes, needing to be back for family things or whatever.

Sportives do away with all that.
This has cropped up before in the LEJOG sub-forum with people asking why (and often expressing complete disbelief that) riders will pay nearly £2000 for a "supported LEJOG". Same principles apply.

FWIW, I think the Sportive bubble has dropped off a bit now - it did go mental at one point for about 3 years or so with a lot of new events coming onto the scene, many of which have fallen by the wayside. I think it's settled down a bit now, there''s the "top end" professional established series like the Velo29 events, Wiggle Super Series and so on, a core of highly regarded independent ones (Fred Whitton probably being the most famous) and then a sprinkling of charity events, rebranded club runs, lower level independent ones etc.
PH

Post by PH »

AlanD wrote: 19 May 2022, 3:44am I don’t mind paying a fiver to join an audax, but this is put on by professional event organisers who carve out a living by getting people to give them money. Am I missing something here?
If it's a professional event you're paying for staff, that's probably where the majority of your entry fee goes. Consider what an Audax might cost if it didn't rely on the hours put in for free, or at a loss, by the volunteers. Even for Audax costs can quickly ramp up, LEL is £360 for the 4 day event, no one is profiteering from that.
If an event appealed to me, then I'd decide if I thought it represented value but I wouldn't begrudge people making a living from it. The entry fee is often not the riders only expense, some might have travel and accommodation costs that are greater.
If you don't think it represents value, don't do it, thankfully there's plenty of choice, maybe the cost of professional events should put into perspective the value of volunteers.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

These "events" also create a lot of anti-cyclist feeling.
Some participants behave as if they are riding on closed roads, and they are not! Normal rules of the road apply.
The organisers don't usually bother to talk to residents at all, the only "notice" you get is the arrows appearing attached to road signs, etc ......these usually remain in place until the next "event" brings about their removal.
Putting a feeding station where the verderers round up the ponies every year is guaranteed to upset the locals.
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Well I have decided not to take part, it's Bike Oxford by the way.
I did one some years ago, got a water bottle, a couple of gel's and a few bits of cake out of it. it was open roads and as for the 'atmosphere', well I don't need that.
Money is getting tight for all of us and I have decided that my money is better spent seeing The Churchfitters and Fairport Convention, might even be the price of a pint too :D

With regards the charities that these businesses are partnered with, and let's be clear about this, they are commercial businesses...
I suspect that the need for charities has never been so great and they perform a vital relief role; yet I remain suspicious.
To explain. The worker deserves his pay and that goes for charity workers too.
Yet I do wonder if the purpose of a charity is to provide relief where there is need, achieved through it's workers?
Or is it to provide a nice salary for a creative marketing executive, achieved through tapping our social consciences?
drossall

Post by drossall »

rareposter wrote: 19 May 2022, 6:57am A researched/risk assessed route.
Signage.
A gpx file.
Feed stations.
Mechanical support.
A broom wagon and first aid provision.
Event insurance.
Some sort of "memory" of the day be that photos, medal, certificate, goodie bag...
Riding with other people you wouldn't normally meet, potentially riding in an area you might not normally visit.

You haven't said what event it is but some events might have a section of closed road or private road you wouldn't normally get to ride on.
Again, depending on the event, some will have some stuff going on at event HQ - decent refreshments, showers, a few trade stalls, a connection to a charity...

How important all those things are will vary from person to person - some people almost refuse to ride without such support, some people want the chance to ride a route in an area they don't normally visit / do something a bit different without spending hours planning their ride. Turn up, follow some arrows, have a nice day out with like-minded people.
I'm doing RideLondon this year. My first ever sportive. I'm not sure what the charity I'm riding for paid for my place, but there's clearly a lot going into this event, as above, and you don't get something for nothing.

I'm doing it because the charity needed someone prepared to ride the distance, and I'll go back to Audaxes afterwards, but I plan to enjoy the experience.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

The Isle of Wight Randonnee is still free to enter!!
www.cycleisland.co.uk
We had c 2200 riders this year and raised a considerable sum for local charities from donations and food sales.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

pedalsheep wrote: 19 May 2022, 1:59pm The Isle of Wight Randonnee is still free to enter!!
www.cycleisland.co.uk
We had c 2200 riders this year and raised a considerable sum for local charities from donations and food sales.
There must be a catch ...

:P
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

mattheus wrote: 19 May 2022, 2:02pm
pedalsheep wrote: 19 May 2022, 1:59pm The Isle of Wight Randonnee is still free to enter!!
www.cycleisland.co.uk
There must be a catch ...

:P
Nope!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

The "Great Notts Bike Ride" was an OK event until passed to the private sector. I will not pay their prices to ride on open public roads.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I agree about the GNBR. I’ve done the Old 50 mile route several times when it was £5-7 to enter, did it as a family with my wife on her hybrid, son on his road bike and my daughter on the trailer bike. I’ve not done it since it became a Sportive, charging £40 to ride on roads I can ride for free at any other time. I actively avoid the route on the day of the event.

Sportives are not for me, give me an audax anytime, even if you have to buy your own food at the food stops, it still works out much cheaper than a Sportive, and you can still have a badge if you want one.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
millimole

Post by millimole »

AlanD wrote: I suspect that the need for charities has never been so great and they perform a vital relief role; yet I remain suspicious.
And quite rightly so.
I volunteer for a very large national charity, but I am under no illusions about what I'm doing.

Financially, I will only support small local charities where the chain from donation to 'good works' is short & transparent.

Most (?all) big charities are now businesses doing contract work for government, with management to match. They are not 'charitable' in my eyes.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I've ridden sportives from small 50 rider local events to big international affairs on the continent, they've ranged in price from a fiver to over £200 and i've usually been happy with what i've got in return. Most of what i ride are not local to me, there has to be a good reason to pay out to ride roads you know like the back of your hand!

Some represent exceedingly good value for money as far 'entertainment' / events costs go - was recently appalled at the cost of a day ticket for a local agri show - £18 for an adult for which you got access to the portaloos - everything else, as you might expect at such an affair, was extra, you could easily have spent £30 without having bought anything beyond food. Compare that to my favourite cycling event across in Germany, @ £30 to enter but that includes, on the 200km event i do, 5 feed stops, entertainmentstarting the previous evening, a gong of course plus all the first aid provision, signing etc, etc.

Any organised event or entertainment these days has a price, the humble time trial could cost you over £20, a trip to Stonehenge is £22 on the gate so value for money wise even a £90 closed road event isn't that bad pro rata - and here's the crux, if thats your thing. People ride local events precisely because they are local which suits the majority of participants who at best are weekend warriors but are often people out to complete a challenge, if its for 'charity' all the better. Ride them or not, thats your choice but sometimes its nice to be 'part' of something rather than that lonely figure pounding the roads with no apparent goal.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

There is obviously quite a spectrum in how much things cost and, typically, what you get with them.
Compare Grinduro (£150) over 3 days vs the Gower Bike Ride (£17.50) with option of a 12 mile or 35 mile ride.

I’m tempted to do the latter as it’s actually not that bad for dipping my toes in and doing an event with a like-minded-community.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

I have not been on or to any cycling event for a few years (health)...
In my opinion. Most Cycling 'events' are expensive. Why pay to ride a bicycle? You can simply ride on your own which is perfect like minded company for anyone.
Some of these so called 'Charity' rides are very expensive. I suppose the proceeds go to Charity but as I wrote above, why pay when you can do it yourself?
Someone mentioned it would be nice to ride with like minded individuals. Well I rode on a couple of these type of rides and not many like minded riders at all. Either riders struggling or riders disappearing up the road as if it were a time trial. Chatting? Not on your life, it is a show off at the meeting point and at the end of the ride. Who has the better bicycle?
Well as I wrote earlier, in my opinion. Don't waste your money.
PS:- You will be very unlikely to make new friends at a Sportive!