How do you pack your tent

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jdsk

Re: How do you pack your tent

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote: 19 May 2022, 6:26pm
Jdsk wrote: 18 May 2022, 7:59pmFor nearly all of our touring ours goes lengthwise on top of one rear rack. With the mats lengthwise on top of the other.

PS: We don't use front panniers. The low speed handling might be a bit better if we did, but that's outweighed by the ease of lugging fewer objects when they're not on the bikes... trains, ferries, hotels, stairs...
My bold
Can you explain this
The lugging bit? We can each carry two panniers and the bar bag with shoulder straps and that leaves one or two hands free. (Most of the time the tent and mats stay on the racks.) We'd find it hard to each manage five bags at once.

But I've read with interest the opposing views upthread.

Jonathan
ossie

Post by ossie »

Jdsk wrote: 19 May 2022, 6:37pm
Paulatic wrote: 19 May 2022, 6:26pm
Jdsk wrote: 18 May 2022, 7:59pmFor nearly all of our touring ours goes lengthwise on top of one rear rack. With the mats lengthwise on top of the other.

PS: We don't use front panniers. The low speed handling might be a bit better if we did, but that's outweighed by the ease of lugging fewer objects when they're not on the bikes... trains, ferries, hotels, stairs...
My bold
Can you explain this
The lugging bit? We can each carry two panniers and the bar bag with shoulder straps and that leaves one or two hands free. (Most of the time the tent and mats stay on the racks.) We'd find it hard to each manage five bags at once.

Jonathan
The pic of your bike with front panniers ? Unless I'm missing something. My set up is identical to yours btw.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ossie wrote: 19 May 2022, 7:24pm
Paulatic wrote: 19 May 2022, 6:26pm My bold
Can you explain this

The pic of your bike with front panniers ? Unless I'm missing something. My set up is identical to yours btw.
Ah... I see what you mean. That isn't my bike. It's someone else's bike and I rotated the image so that lots of people didn't have to rotate their heads! And then the original image has been removed. I'll add a comment.

viewtopic.php?p=1694219#p1694219

: - )

Jonathan
ossie

Post by ossie »

Jdsk wrote: 19 May 2022, 7:31pm
ossie wrote: 19 May 2022, 7:24pm

Ah... I see what you mean. That isn't my bike. It's someone else's bike and I rotated the image so that lots of people didn't have to rotate their heads! And then the original image has been removed. I'll add a comment.

viewtopic.php?p=1694219#p1694219

: - )

Jonathan
Ha no worries , I was going to guess the location but no need :wink:
djb

Post by djb »

Do take into account keeping a wet tent on rack, never have to worry about getting the inside of your pannier wet or other things in there.

Using a plastic bag or drybag for tent easy, and bungee cords or straps to hold on.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

djb wrote: 20 May 2022, 3:08pm Do take into account keeping a wet tent on rack, never have to worry about getting the inside of your pannier wet or other things in there.
Yes.

Jonathan
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Paulatic wrote: 18 May 2022, 9:31pm
Tiggertoo wrote: 18 May 2022, 9:27pm) it does seem that most contributors on this board live in something of a cycling paradise. 8)
Guilty as charged :D
Dumfries & Galloway I’m surrounded by hills and quiet roads.
I would describe Dartmouth as cycling purgatory- not terrible but quite a few things that make it a challenge. It’s a walking paradise round here- bikes not so much. I miss living in Romsey - the new forest, test valley and Salisbury plain all within an easy reach.

Impressed by those who can handle a bike and five objects on and off trains. I’m just not that coordinated- there’s always something swinging out of line. If I’ve over shopped for a gap in supplies (eg a Sunday/bank holiday) I might have a few items of food in my collapsible backpack on the rear pannier but I can wear that in and off trains. Maybe it’s because I travel mostly solo these days but I really like my stuff to be as compact as possible. As it is I’m very grateful for the many people who’ve stepped in and given me a hand with bike/bags.