I'm out.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Re: I'm out.

Post by Cugel »

Tangled Metal wrote: 3 May 2022, 7:09am Time out is good. As is other interests. If this place gets me down I just do other things for awhile. It feels good to get away from the nit-picking and competitive debating tendencies from time to time. However like a glutton for punishment I keep coming back. Often with a calmer outlook and tendency to agree with people I am politically separate from!

Look at it like a sabbatical not an absence.
Quite so.

Nearly two years "sabbatical" has been sufficient for me. But some cycling matters have arisen .....

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
peetee

Post by peetee »

Cugel wrote: 8 May 2022, 9:04am
Tangled Metal wrote: 3 May 2022, 7:09am Time out is good. As is other interests. If this place gets me down I just do other things for awhile. It feels good to get away from the nit-picking and competitive debating tendencies from time to time. However like a glutton for punishment I keep coming back. Often with a calmer outlook and tendency to agree with people I am politically separate from!

Look at it like a sabbatical not an absence.
Quite so.

Nearly two years "sabbatical" has been sufficient for me. But some cycling matters have arisen .....

Cugel
Glad to see you back. I did miss you and was a bit reticent to ask “why for“ lest it were for the worse. :oops:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Cugel wrote:

Cugel
Nice to see you back Cugel.
What wonderful wooden creations have you been making in those years?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

francovendee wrote: 20 May 2022, 8:05am
Cugel wrote:

Cugel
Nice to see you back Cugel.
What wonderful wooden creations have you been making in those years?
The workshop has been fairly busy - in between the many bike rides, dog walks, garden works, house fixin' and so forth.

Small box making was a thing for a while, many of them to hold the body parts for the ladywife's teddybear making, as well as the surgical instruments required to assemble or disassemble these furry items. I'm also beginning a liaison with a local lad who carves slate for a hobby, to make slate-bearing wooden things, such as that box.

I've been teaching woodworking to more ladies from the ladywife's WI lot, as well as to the slate carver. They've made an item or four between them.

Plane-making became a small obsession for a while - wood-bodied planes with bought-in metal parts such as adjuster and blade. I've made two small smoothers, a jointer and a mitre/shooting plane, all of which work extremely well apart from the first smoother, which was the "learn from your mistakes" item. :-) A large panel gauge with various marking parts (knife-wheel, scratch-awls and pencils) was also made, for marking out parts to cut from sheets of plywood and veneered blockboard..

Although the hoose is stuffed with furniture, I did find space in the small front door entry porch to stuff in a few items for shoes, hats and so forth, including a box/seat for sitting at when changing shoes as well as to hold the dog-towels for de-clarting the mucky beasts after their walks.

Pictures follow.
Mark's mahogany box (1 of 2).JPG
Various small boxes (1 of 8).JPG
Various small boxes (2 of 8).JPG
Various small boxes (3 of 8).JPG
Various small boxes (4 of 8).JPG
Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

More pics.
Moxon vise-bench for box-making (1 of 1).JPG
A Moxon vise in a box-making bench.
Various small boxes (5 of 8).JPG
Tool storage thingies.
Various small boxes (6 of 8).JPG
Various small boxes (7 of 8).JPG
Various small boxes (8 of 8).JPG
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Some wooden-bodied planes.
Wood-bodied planes (1 of 4).JPG
Wood-bodied planes (3 of 4).JPG
Wood-bodied planes (2 of 4).JPG
Wood-bodied planes (4 of 4).JPG
A panel gauge:
Multi-mode panel gauge-1.jpg
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

The lobby furniture.
_4730962.JPG
_4730977.JPG
_4730985.JPG
Lobby seat-chest (17 of 22).JPG
Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Holy Cow! amazing photo's - whens u doing a wooden bike?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

oo that luverly innit - I like wood - so brown and wotnot - thank you god
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

oo that luverly innit - I like wood - so brown and wotnot - thank you god.
Sometimes I think best thing ever is cheese - or beer - or bread, maybe or Bach or combo thereof even. But also sometime I have revelation and think - oh pencil !!
(bicycle, he quickly adds...)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Wow! You have been busy. I love the look of those planes, just waiting to be held. They must have been fun to make.

Timber of all types has shot up in price and hardwoods must be the worst? I hope you have a stash put by.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I spotted a spokeshave in there. Are you building wheels :wink:
I'm too embarrassed to show you my work cave, it's not as tidy as yours.
And my offerings are not to your standard. Here's my seat cum shoe store knocked up from next doors flat pack wardrobe which had been thrown out for the bin collection.
IMG_20220521_084449.jpg
I'll try and post a better pic when the light conditions allow. :idea:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

IMG_20220521_084449.jpg