UKRAINE ... exactly ten years ago

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ConRAD

UKRAINE ... exactly ten years ago

Post by ConRAD »

Exactly ten years ago: while passing that border nobody told me that I was actually leaving Europe!!
My original blog here below:

Tiggertoo

Re: UKRAINE ... exactly ten years ago

Post by Tiggertoo »

The continent of Europe ends at the Urals.
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Tiggertoo wrote: 19 May 2022, 10:54pm The continent of Europe ends at the Urals.
... that's the institutional definition, but when you arrive at certain borders the perception might be quite different
Attachments
EUROPE.jpg
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

ConRAD wrote: 19 May 2022, 1:01pm Exactly ten years ago: while passing that border nobody told me that I was actually leaving Europe!!
My original blog here below:

Possibly you are conflating Europe and the EU, by that reasoning, when you enter Switzerland you are leaving Europe.
I shall have a read of your Blog though.
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Steve X wrote: 20 May 2022, 9:10am... when you enter Switzerland you are leaving Europe ..
... well, when I enter Switzerland ... as well as UK, Norway, but also the Vatican, San Marino, Andorra and many Balkan countries I'm just leaving EU and not Europe.
ps: my statement at the beginning of this thread was just a matter of feeling ... even Ukraine of course is Europe!!!!
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

that's the institutional definition, but when you arrive at certain borders the perception might be quite different
No, that's the geographical definition, the political one referencing the European Union is not the same.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

ConRAD wrote: 20 May 2022, 10:23am
Steve X wrote: 20 May 2022, 9:10am... when you enter Switzerland you are leaving Europe ..
... well, when I enter Switzerland ... as well as UK, Norway, but also the Vatican, San Marino, Andorra and many Balkan countries I'm just leaving EU and not Europe.
ps: my statement at the beginning of this thread was just a matter of feeling ... even Ukraine of course is Europe!!!!
I can imagine that Russia doesn't feel like Europe to many Western Europeans. In the same way Iceland probably doesn't.

(nor Israel/Australia, for Eurovision fans!)