after hip replacement - handlebars?

wearwell

Re: after hip replacement - handlebars?

Post by wearwell »

Jdsk wrote: 19 May 2022, 8:20pm
wearwell wrote: 19 May 2022, 8:17pm
Jdsk wrote: 19 May 2022, 7:13pm.....
Do you have access to physiotherapy advice?
Yes but at £40 an hour, or wait 3 months or so for NHS.
Thanks.

I'd hope that you could get advice without a physical appointment. That's improved enormously during the outbreak. It might be worth asking the orthopaedic unit.

Jonathan
OK thanks I might try that. Our local medical centre is very good.
Pilates looks good however and is fairly harmless - I soon got the impression that the gentle movements really stretch parts which need stretching!
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

Pleased to say I'm back on me bike.
No special measures required, no physio, no bike adaptations except I've gone for flat pedals instead of SPDs.
Just normal activities and dog walking, including the occasional short jog. Then a few goes on a step-through shoppers bike.
Can now get my leg over and it feels just like it used to before arthritis kicked in several years ago!!
8 months from when I stopped when it was all just too tedious.
So if anybody is going through the same thing I'd say take your time, stay active, don't panic!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That's good to hear. Thanks for the update.

Jonathan
Bice

Post by Bice »

wearwell wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 4:58pm Pleased to say I'm back on me bike.
No special measures required, no physio, no bike adaptations except I've gone for flat pedals instead of SPDs.
Just normal activities and dog walking, including the occasional short jog. Then a few goes on a step-through shoppers bike.
Can now get my leg over and it feels just like it used to before arthritis kicked in several years ago!!
8 months from when I stopped when it was all just too tedious.
So if anybody is going through the same thing I'd say take your time, stay active, don't panic!
Good to hear.

At 65, my damaged left hip is complaining more frequently. Cycling always caused no pain at all, whereas I can walk 6 miles or so in the country, but feel sore.

This year I have done two tours: Caen to Provence at 1,400kms, and earlier this month Normandy at 450kms. I was getting sore, particularly at night.

I thought this was carrying luggage: 14kgms. But I now think it is actually the bike: a 26 inch ex-MTB which is twitchy at the front, especially with a bar bag, and I did catch my hip making sudden movements.

I do ride with the club on road bikes, and happily did 120kms two days ago at about 13mph average; and 100kms two days before that.

I think the limited movement on a long road bike cause not issue at all. I think I need to use a longer road bike as a tourer.

Heartening to hear your experience. My hip is awful, but works and painlessly for most cycling. I am in that difficult limbo of not knowing when to do the inevitable op, and whether I will ever ride afterwards. It's a worry, to be frank.
Daily: Carlton Courette 1982 mixte 42, 32, 22 x7
Van Nicholas Yukon titanium 50/34 10sp
Lazzaretti steel 1996 10sp 48/34
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
Marin Bolinas Ridge MTB c1995, 7x42, 34, 24
Scott Scale carbon MTB 27.5 inch
willcee

Post by willcee »

I have had 2 THRs 1st.. 2018 October, and another Dec 19.. and was back using the bike carefully in 6 weeks just short runs and mounting and dismounting carefully I was 67 and 68 at those times.I'm not lean, I'm thickset 5'10 and 17st..As my surgeon said to me will, you're not my usual patient, not a couch potato but a cyclist, car guy and carer who hasnt let age or infirmity take over.. a very positive mental attitude exudes.. he reckoned that it really did take a year to get over the work he did, and it did help if one was carefully actively using the muscles that he cut.. as they say time is a good healer, none of us older guys are 25 any more and have to respect the effects that age brings to all of us..I changed nothing on the bike but my physio advised a wider saddle maybe a year before I had my 1st op, I use a Berthoud Mente.. never had more comfort, so changed nothing afterward. Perhaps I should preface this that to keep me on the bike.I started using E power in mid 17 and it did help, and I'm still using E power today... WILL

Post by 853 »

Bice wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 9:28am At 65, my damaged left hip is complaining more frequently. Cycling always caused no pain at all, whereas I can walk 6 miles or so in the country, but feel sore.

This year I have done two tours: Caen to Provence at 1,400kms, and earlier this month Normandy at 450kms. I was getting sore, particularly at night.

I thought this was carrying luggage: 14kgms. But I now think it is actually the bike: a 26 inch ex-MTB which is twitchy at the front, especially with a bar bag, and I did catch my hip making sudden movements.

I do ride with the club on road bikes, and happily did 120kms two days ago at about 13mph average; and 100kms two days before that.

I think the limited movement on a long road bike cause not issue at all. I think I need to use a longer road bike as a tourer.

Heartening to hear your experience. My hip is awful, but works and painlessly for most cycling. I am in that difficult limbo of not knowing when to do the inevitable op, and whether I will ever ride afterwards. It's a worry, to be frank.
I had my left hip replaced 3 years ago, and from what you've said it sounds like yours will need replacing fairly soon. It will slowly get worse, and then worse again, if you don't (I know this as my op was delayed by 4 months by the first lock-down)

Despite having a long operation, and a lot of muscle cut away (I had a medical condition rather than 'wear and tear'), I was on the bike 20 days after surgery.

From your list of bikes I see you have a mixte frame, so if you fit flat pedals and find a way to raise the 'bars then I don't see any reason why you won't be able to ride your bike on flat roads in a few weeks.

There is some work to do, post surgery, to gain the range of movement you want. Because of the second lock down, I never saw a physio 'in the flesh' but my hospital arranged video consultations with one, which were very useful. I continued with the exercises, daily, for over a year, and I now ride my road bike with the stem as low as it will go (zero spacers) on the drops with a flat, horizontal, back for as long as I like.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

853 wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 2:22pm ...
Because of the second lock down, I never saw a physio 'in the flesh' but my hospital arranged video consultations with one, which were very useful.
That's very good to hear. It's a great medium for discussing progress and asking questions. I recommend everyone to ask as early as possible if it's going to be available.

Jonathan
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

molly wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 1:13pm Why not just fit a riser stem?
100%
P1050175 (2019_06_14 13_02_52 UTC).jpg
AUTISTIC and proud