Low Traffic Neighbourhoods?

thirdcrank

Re: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods?

Post by thirdcrank »

Not an LTN, but this report of a cancelled Platinum Jubilee street party seems to involve some of what I've been talking about. I'm not clear about the distinction between residents and locals, but community is in there too

Platinum Jubilee: Richmond locals left disappointed by cancelled street party

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61508574
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

jonny_five wrote: 6 Nov 2020, 1:43pm They've installed some around us in Catford/Lewisham. It's definitely improved the cycling which is pretty bad around the south circular otherwise. It has made some of the major roads even busier which no doubt gas made the motorists angry about the scheme, although I find it hard to sympathise with that.
TfL consultation:

"Lewisham to Catford walking and cycling changes":
https://haveyoursay.tfl.gov.uk/a21-lewi ... ur+website

Jonathan
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

LTNs are getting so conventional that we are even going to get a couple in Warrington:

And the local motorists do seem to be getting annoyed about losing their rat-runs:
https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/ne ... nts-anchor
Though I wouldn't mind betting that most of the signatories personally live on culs-de-sac.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Pete Owens wrote: 11 Jun 2022, 1:28am LTNs are getting so conventional that we are even going to get a couple in Warrington:

And the local motorists do seem to be getting annoyed about losing their rat-runs:
https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/ne ... nts-anchor
Though I wouldn't mind betting that most of the signatories personally live on culs-de-sac.
Aye, it’s a fairly safe bet. It’s also a safe bet that the majority of signatories don’t live in the proposed LTN.

I see one of the Oxford CLPs has passed an emergency motion against LTNs. It’s always really disappointing when a supposedly progressive party (and the Lib Dems and Greens are unfortunately also capable of this) votes against measures to reduce car dependency, in an energy crisis and when 1:4 UK households don’t have access to a car.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Inconsistently so as well. The county level ward (labour) cllrs for that area are quite vocal in their support of the East Oxford filtering, it's the Oxford district level labour party that are now opposing.

The highways authority is at the county level though so I'm not really sure this clp motion is going to change much.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
ratherbeintobago

I wonder what's going in in Warrington...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 20 May 2022, 9:37am Not an LTN, but this report of a cancelled Platinum Jubilee street party seems to involve some of what I've been talking about. I'm not clear about the distinction between residents and locals, but community is in there too

Platinum Jubilee: Richmond locals left disappointed by cancelled street party

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61508574
I wonder if the objections/support might be complicated by pro/anti royals aspects? Those wanting the party might see celebrating the Royal Family as more that enough justification for significant disruption whereas those objecting might be using some disruption as an excuse to have the celebrations cancelled. Not saying that is the reason but it might be a contributory aspect.

Ian
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 7:56pm I wonder what's going in in Warrington...
The towns motorists are getting more annoyed than usual:
https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/ne ... -bus-gate/
ratherbeintobago

Pete Owens wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 3:04pm
ratherbeintobago wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 7:56pm I wonder what's going in in Warrington...
Is it more than the usual ‘didn’t notice the consultation and now claiming not to have been consulted’ nonsense?
toontra

Post by toontra »

In my borough (Islington) the result of the recent local elections has hopefully put a damper on the anti-LTN brigade. The tory opposition made a very big deal of abolishing them but lost by as large a margin as usual. The controlling labour council can now claim a mandate for their continence and expansion.

It has been determined that the local protests against LTN's were orchestrated by cab drivers, many of whom don't even live in London, let alone Islington

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my 21051182G using hovercraft full of eels.

Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 3:14pm
Pete Owens wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 3:04pm
Is it more than the usual ‘didn’t notice the consultation and now claiming not to have been consulted’ nonsense?
I think so - I expect that sort of online whinging for ANY measure that doesn't obviously benefit motorists (say a pedestrian crossing). Bothering to turn up in numbers to protest outside the town hall is unusual. I just hope the council keeps its nerve.
toontra

Post by toontra »

Pete Owens wrote: Bothering to turn up in numbers to protest outside the town hall is unusual.
That's exactly what they did in Islington, also blocking the main road for hours. As I say, orchestrated by outsiders. May be the case here also?

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G973F using hovercraft full of eels.

ratherbeintobago

toontra wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 6:25pm
Pete Owens wrote: Bothering to turn up in numbers to protest outside the town hall is unusual.
That's exactly what they did in Islington, also blocking the main road for hours. As I say, orchestrated by outsiders. May be the case here also?

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G973F using hovercraft full of eels.
I don’t live in a proposed LTN, but frankly I find it completely incredible that people who do would be against a reduction in rat-running.

Intuitively it should be better for people on boundary roads too, as variously there is traffic evaporation due to loss of short car movements and less interruption of boundary road flow by cars turning in and out of side roads. However I don’t know if the hard evidence is there to support that.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Even with no modal shift it is better for those using the boundary roads.

The reason rat-runners do it is to bypass the congestion on those roads - so what they are doing is queue jumping.
If you are a user of the boundary road this means that a rat runner that was queueing behind you uses inappropriate residential streets to get in front of you so now you have to wait for them at the next lights.
toontra

Post by toontra »

Pete Owens wrote:Even with no modal shift it is better for those using the boundary roads.

The reason rat-runners do it is to bypass the congestion on those roads - so what they are doing is queue jumping.
If you are a user of the boundary road this means that a rat runner that was queueing behind you uses inappropriate residential streets to get in front of you so now you have to wait for them at the next lights.
I suspect that's exactly why cabbies are so opposed to them.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my 21051182G using hovercraft full of eels.