Germany -traffic laws for cycling

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Chris.Kurton

Germany -traffic laws for cycling

Post by Chris.Kurton »

Is there anywhere I should look on CTC site where it shows the cycle regulations we have to follow in Germany? Or a link to a definitive guide.
Jdsk

Re: Germany rules

Post by Jdsk »

I suggest starting with this thread:
"Guide to cycling traffic law in European countries"
viewtopic.php?t=149908

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm a strong believer in clear thread titles. "Germany rules" might mean several things, not all of which may attract the attention of somebody with the required info.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I thought this was going to be a about the next world cup :lol:
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

MarcusT wrote: 13 May 2022, 5:21am I thought this was going to be a about the next world cup :lol:
The only rule being you can't mention the war :lol:
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

And I thought it was going to be about how great Germany is for cycle touring! I would agree...
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
millimole

Post by millimole »

Dingdong wrote:
MarcusT wrote: 13 May 2022, 5:21am I thought this was going to be a about the next world cup Image
The only rule being you can't mention the war Image
In my experience the Germans don't have any of the attitudes that popular perception would gift them with.
They are happy to talk intelligently about the second world war and what led up to it. They, thankfully, in general, don't have the same backwards looking nostalgia that many British have.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
ossie

Post by ossie »

millimole wrote: 16 May 2022, 5:57am
Dingdong wrote:
MarcusT wrote: 13 May 2022, 5:21am I thought this was going to be a about the next world cup Image
The only rule being you can't mention the war Image
In my experience the Germans don't have any of the attitudes that popular perception would gift them with.
They are happy to talk intelligently about the second world war and what led up to it. They, thankfully, in general, don't have the same backwards looking nostalgia that many British have.
Its a difficult one. As someone who grew up in Germany I would avoid mentioning it however I was there when Germany was still struggling with its past. We were also part on an occupying force and that didn't sit easy with some. I've since returned on several cycling trips to the area I grew up in. British forces and their families have mostly left, bases shut down etc but the difference is that we're now remembered quite fondly .That said all links to the British Army had been removed, bases put into civilian use had no mention of their former use. An officers mess used for 60 years now a University canteen with absolutely no clue of its history and the reason for it.

Regarding the war I still found it a little bit taboo but there again there was no real reason to mention it. This was demonstrated by a trip to the Mohne Dam of dambusters fame. This is a hugely popular tourist attraction in an area of outstanding natural beauty. You'll find absolutely nothing about Operation Chastise or the dam being destroyed other than a small memorial to those who died in the flood yet many visit because of this tragedy. I enquired in the tourist shop about an issue I recall on a visit as a child and was handed a tatty old book in English from under the counter- that was it.

In France you'll find reminders everywhere, elaborate memorials, Shermans on the bank of the Rhine for example, granite depictions of Lancasters yet on the German side of the border very little. I know these memorials exist but its all very low key.

Its good to hear that the latest generation are happy to engage in conversation about the past, Germany is a very progressive and welcoming country. The stereotypical shameful English attitude of the drunken yob singing 'ten german bombers' in a Frankfurt square was sadly demonstrated the week before last and hasn't gone away.

Back on topic for the OP. Just use common sense and follow and observe others. Cycling is immensely popular in Germany due to their infrastructure. The biggie for me was cycling in the direction of the traffic on cycling lanes. Don't assume that lovely looking cycle lane is shared, you'll get quickly reminded even by motorists that there's one on the other side of the road. In some cities it just appears a free for all, I simply went with 'the flow'.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

ossie wrote: 16 May 2022, 10:41am In France you'll find reminders everywhere, elaborate memorials, Shermans on the bank of the Rhine for example, granite depictions of Lancasters yet on the German side of the border very little. I know these memorials exist but its all very low key.
It's worth mentioning that while Alsace was annexed by Germany from 1870-1918 and 1940-44, German war memorials have been allowed to stand and are well looked-after, even though occupying Germans during WW2 thought it great fun to use French memorials in the area for target practice. The German memorials aren't exactly modest, either.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
scottg

Post by scottg »

Dingdong wrote: 13 May 2022, 5:38am
MarcusT wrote: 13 May 2022, 5:21am I thought this was going to be a about the next world cup :lol:
The only rule being you can't mention the war :lol:
Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Euro. :)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
oldtimer99

Post by oldtimer99 »

Apparently there are penalties. Don't bother appealing....they always win
Ron

Post by Ron »

Chris.Kurton wrote: 11 May 2022, 4:17pm Is there anywhere I should look on CTC site where it shows the cycle regulations we have to follow in Germany? Or a link to a definitive guide.
To get back on topic, I don't know about CTC guidance but if you type "Cycling in Germany rules" into Google it throws up a variety of things.
I can't recall any specific difficulties, but was a little worried about the rule saying cycle paths must be used where these exist, but as the cycle paths there are usually of a high standard this was a rule that was easy to live with.
IME if I did something naughty in countries bordering the North Sea, then a motorist would give a polite beep on the horn. This would cause me to stop and consider then proceed with caution.
sukuinage

Post by sukuinage »

I wouldn't worry too much about particular rules, I've been cycling here in Germany for the last 20 years and never had a problem. Basically just cycle responsibly as you would anywhere else.
A little bit of guidance:
Cycle lanes are signposted with a blue sign, sometimes split showing pedestrians also, they are "compulsory" but, depending on the location I tend to ignore them if on the road bike and travelling fast. You'll sometimes see signs showing a bike and "Frei" next to it which indicate you are allowed to use them but don't have to. Sometimes I've been tooted at by motorists when I'm not on the cycle lane but I just ignore them.
You should have a bell which is very useful on combined cycle/ pedestrian routes or if there are slower cyclists ahead. Lights are supposed to be StVZO approved but in practice nobody will check as long as you're not blinding people. There are way too many who cycle without lights so, if there is any crackdown then they will be the ones to get a fine.
The cycle lanes here a generally good, but in some places have a tendency to wander from one side of the road to another or have surfaces unsuited for a road bike so I tend to just use less busy roads unless I'm out on the tourer.