identifying crown race...

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nomm

identifying crown race...

Post by nomm »

in a comedy of errors swapping a fork over, I watched a crown race bounce out of the garage and roll into a crack of concrete.... and is now completely lost

All I know is that it's an FSA headset and a standard 1 1/8th as I didn't originally fit it... is this an easy replacement to source?
rjb

Re: identifying crown race...

Post by rjb »

Try fishing with a magnet. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

The bearing itself? If so, Google "FSA headset bearing" and you will find many sources, but also many types e.g. https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/componen ... pares-t128 . I suggest you look at the other (upper) bearing unit for a part number or description of the angles involved, then you will probably find something.
nomm

Post by nomm »

I have found a (barely readable) code on the top of the headset - h2069

Which according to some exploded diagrams is a FSA orbit headset

And I need a h6033 crown race

Thanks 👍
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Hset parts tend not to be sold separately - you just buy a new hset.
I should coco.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Try fishing with a magnet
Plus one! I have tiny v. powerful magnets bought for pence off of ebay, that attach themselves to v. long thin cheap screwdiver / letter opener / metal ruler or wot-have-you...
picture of magnet and paper knife
picture of magnet and paper knife
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rjb

Post by rjb »

And if you have destroyed a hard disc (often when disposing of a CPU to stop your data being stolen) the magnets within are extremely powerful. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
nomm

Post by nomm »

the part in question is aluminium, so would not be magnetic...right?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Not clear what race made from as not seen, but unlikely that parts are not ferrous (ie magnetic) as that material is suitable for use as race or ball / needle.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Even if exterior is (was) Alloy, almost certainly a steel insert so a magnet might just do the trick.
hemo

Post by hemo »

One can buy crown races seperatley I have done so before, ebay for about £6 just input the part number.