Cycling GPS advice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
johnjo

Cycling GPS advice

Post by johnjo »

I have an old Garmin eTrexVista Hcx which I have used on several trips here and in mainland Europe over a number of years, having planned routes prior to travelling and followed the purple line en route. All very well but now the unit seems to have lost the maps I had saved and the only function I use is the basic cycling computer on familiar routes at home. I have been considering getting a new device but everywhere I look are pricey units for serious sports cyclists and that I am not. I just want something I can load with a pre-planned route and which will guide me as I cycle it. I don't need to be connected to my phone or saving data to Strava or preparing a training schedule ! I'm 72 and just want a convenient way of following a route on a map display. Help and advice appreciated. Cheers
SimonCelsa

Re: Cycling GPS advice

Post by SimonCelsa »

I would be interested in similar recommendations so will bump this back to the top for you. I'm also on the lookout for a basic route following GPS since my android phone is getting old, and now appears incompatible with OSMand navigation which I used previously.

Would you prefer a rechargeable device or one with replaceable batteries?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

1 Do you want turn-by-turn navigation?

2 How big a screen?

3 Would you consider using a 'phone rather than a dedicated device?

Thanks

Jonathan
Cyclo2022

Post by Cyclo2022 »

I think you are better off using your mobile with something like Komoot which is free and has many features and many members who upload their routes to Komoot which you can use. I always take my mobile with me out on my rides so I can't see the point of carrying another device like a Garmin. Battery life is going to be better when using your mobile compared to something like Garmin, and a mobile has a bigger screen too!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Similar recent discussion of devices:
viewtopic.php?p=1692225#p1692225

Jonathan
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Lezyne GPS devices can follow routes generated in either leyzyne's own app and web site, and also Komoot tours.
Direction changes come up with a simple arrow and a countdown, rather than a line on a map, although some of the more expensive ones can hold offline mapping..

That's useful as you can keep phone in pocket or bag and follow the directions on the head unit as they pop up.
Steve O'C

Post by Steve O'C »

I have similar needs to the OP and used a Garmin Etrex 20 which I recently replaced with the Etrex 30 (30 has a built in compass that I have realised I have no use for).

I download Open Source maps and transfer them to my PC and use the free Garmin Basecamp programme to plan routes that I the transfer to the Etrex. As you say it is then a matter of just following the purple line. It runs on 2 AA batteries and a pair of rechargeable batteries last about 3 days.

I much prefer the screen to my mobile phone, it gets easier to read the brighter the light. I also use it for planning walks.

Steve
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

If the basically Garmin works but the maps don't show up, I double check that the micro SD card with the maps on is fully plugged into the unit.
The few times I've lost my maps on my Garmin, it's because the card got knocked and partially unplugged when I was replacing batteries.
Try taking the card out and reseating it, then see if the maps are back.
If that doesn't work, I'd double check if the card is bad or not.
Try plugging the Garmin into your computer and see if you can read the maps via basecamp.
Or try downloading a map onto a new SD card and see if your Garmin will read it.
As it's a lot cheaper the just buy a new SD card to fix the problem vs a whole new satnav.

Luck .......... :D
johnjo

Post by johnjo »

It seems I'm not alone in respect of this post. After reading through all the helpful responses I reckon I should try to get the unit I have back up and running by reloading maps etc. Thanks everyone for responding.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Have a browse through this thread on the Etrex 32X; viewtopic.php?t=134816&hilit=etrex+32X

I think that would probably be my preferred choice, not (excessively) expensive and takes AA batteries.
gom

Post by gom »

The etrex vista is a nice unit. IMO the user interface is in many respects better than the replacement etrex 20/30 varieties. It has some limitations, like only 20 tracks at most, but this is not a problem in general usage.
The battery life on all etrexes is excellent. A good pair of rechargeable AAs gave me at least 2 & often 3 days of use.

I too found the mapping would sometimes disappear, but clicking the sd card in an out a few times would fix it. I would do this in the hope of cleaning the contacts.

For (free) OpenStreetMap-based mapping I think OpenFietsMap is the best, but my recollection is that it did not look so good on these older etrexes. On my Vista I found that https://www.freizeitkarte-osm.de was better/clearer. Both these sites offer versions for the garmin gps units & for basecamp.
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

This month's magazine has a helpful article about phone apps for navigation.
I have an Etrex but am too dumb to use it properly. I find it much easier to use my phone. I just cycled N1 from Suffolk up to Robin Hood's Bay (350 miles) and found the OS map app very good, with its bike overlay clearly showing the route as a thick purple line!