Stocking up, components etc

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
djnotts

Stocking up, components etc

Post by djnotts »

A good mate of mine who is a part-time bike and parts trader with close links into the wholesalers tells me:
"News from the Bike wholesalers I know.
All components and consumables due to rise in cost by mid summer 30%.
Suggest top up now on chains
Cables pads tyres and tubes.
I believe it will be like spring 20
Anytime soon..."
I guess fuel costs and general poverty may also boost the bike market above the overall and rising level of inflation!
rjb

Re: Stocking up, components etc

Post by rjb »

And the far East are going into lockdown due to COVID cases mushrooming, which will exacerbate shortages and inflate prices further. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Most never fell back the 30%+ they went up a couple of years ago!
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Or the additional 30% more recently just looking at a few prices!

10-51 Deore 12 spd MTB cassette was about £70 even after the initial stock crunch from the pandemic, looks like it's now £100. :?
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Prices always keep going up but often world events cause spikes but even when those events are passed the prices never return to where they were. I remember when Taiwan was the main manufacturer of bikes in the early 2000s and they were producing some fantastic bikes for very little money but then wages started improving in Taiwan and the cost of bikes from Taiwan starting increasing so production went to mainland China which was cheaper but not as good quality back then, they got good generally but the EU started putting tariffs on their bikes and so production went to places like Vietnam and Cambodia and again quality dropped but improved after a while. Prices just kept increasing though generally with inflation and quality went up and down a bit.

I'm a bike part hoarder mainly because I can't resist a bargain. I think I'll get that when its cheap because I might need it but often enough it might end on ebay and give me a small profit rather than be used by me.
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

This is how panic buying and stock issues arise.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Blondie wrote: 20 May 2022, 1:14pm This is how panic buying and stock issues arise.
Yup.

Sad.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

I can’t say that I’ve not got a stock of components but most of the parts in it are either second hand or salvaged, never throw anything away ‘cause you don’t know when it’ll come in handy. That said I do buy some parts well in advance of when I expect to need them and if I had a particular purchase in mind for later in the year then I’d be inclined to buy it sooner rather than later. Of course, like others, I do have items in store that I’m unlikely to ever get around to using. However, on the other hand, the items were mostly inexpensive and sometimes being able to lay your hands on something now (as opposed to maybe in some shop or ship somewhere) has great value.

Perhaps the best way to avoid pricey parts is to run simpler bikes and then to be accepting of their limitations. Are bikes that expensive to run? Well, I don’t like to spend more than I need to but try even a small car for costs, or even a few bus rides, and suddenly, despite component price rises, cycling is a very cheap way of getting about.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Cycling can be incredibly cheap, cheap to keep a bike on the road, cheap fuel i.e. food and cheap with regards medical expenses if you don't have accidents as it improves your health and likely to extend your life. It reduces obesity and is good for the mind and mental health. It was the main transport in the past for local travelling and should be again really if we have any sense.

Getting back to the hoarding issue. I remember buying a huge amount of wilko chains when they were 50p and I've sold about 3, used 2 and have about 7 in reserve. Sadly not KMC chains but another Taiwanese brand I forget the name of that is decent quality but not quite up to KMC standards.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

I bought 4 cycle bells for a 5 pence each from a well known on line site for my bikes.I paid the postage which was standard for one or 4.
Still waiting.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Guilty as charged but only when 'bargains' turned up. I've done this to future proof supply of 8 speed parts.
I think I have enough now to last out my pedalling years.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Have to admit on stocking up on Shimano LX Freehubs, bottom brackets, chains during a redundancy a full six years ago. It made financial sense to spend excess cash, at the time, as I would otherwise have been penalised, though have to admit I can't see some of the freehubs being used for another 20-30 years :wink: (Nb. Have literally only started to use an "excess" bike I bought at the time, perhaps 5-6 weeks back)
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Its not only bike parts.The shed you keep the bike is has gone up in value.Try getting Timber fencing or a bike/gardening shed now.Just the door for a quality one is £120.