The "Royals" Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: The "Royals" Thread

Post by Jdsk »

Albanese is probably about to become Prime Minster of Australia. He's unambiguously in support of it becoming a republic.

And made some interesting connections in 2019:
"The Labor leader, Anthony Albanese, told the event the controversy involving Prince Andrew “reminded Australia about why we need an Australian head of state” and he said the deep divisions in English society over Brexit and the possible fracture of the UK, were another reminder reinforcing the folly of Australia being “passive” and tethered to events in another country, beyond its control."
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... nbull-says

Jonathan
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Jdsk wrote: 21 May 2022, 3:55pm Albanese is probably about to become Prime Minster of Australia. He's unambiguously in support of it becoming a republic.

"The Labor leader, Anthony Albanese, told the event the controversy involving Prince Andrew “reminded Australia about why we need an Australian head of state” and he said the deep divisions in English society over Brexit and the possible fracture of the UK, were another reminder reinforcing the folly of Australia being “passive” and tethered to events in another country, beyond its control."

Jonathan
Albo has now been sworn in by the Governor General.
AFAIK it requires a referendum to become a republic and as we have compulsory voting nobody really knows whether it would pass.
Not going to happen next week.

Mike
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Perhaps this is more important from an Australian perspective than looking from this end. (I don't mean that this has to be an Australian choice, which must be obvious, but I doubt many people here are concerned either way.)
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Jubilee Pageant: Sir Chris Dame Laura and Sir Jason will race towards Bucks palace on Sunday.Joined by 300 cycles including a tandem chopper,a bakery delivery bike plus Jensen and Pashley bikes from the 1950's

The six minute display on Thursday will include 70 aircraft including the Red Arrows and RAF Battle of Britain memorial flight.

I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Finally found a summary of exactly how I feel.

The queen has led an extraordinary life of service and duty worthy of admiration and respect

Despite her best efforts, hereditary monarchy looks deeply anachronistic today, unaccountable and ‘dependent on the accident of birth’

With democracy in peril around the world, unelected heads of state are not a good look

But there are certainly at least a dozen more urgent issues to address before trying to unpick 1,000 years of history

Nonetheless, in our modern world, the best place for kings and queens is on the chess board or in a deck of cards
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

My preference for abolition is noting to do with any monarch's personal behaviour, even if we had any objective evidence of what it was.

They're largely about the way the current system gets in the way of reforms that would improve the country: the powers of Minsters, the structure of Parliament, the staggering levels of secrecy, the patronage, the destructive undertaxation of wealth and land, the established religion etc.

Jonathan
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 10:58am My preference for abolition is noting to do with any monarch's personal behaviour,
And aside from all that, the absurdity of some old woman, representing the country. And one who's never worked or had a job and has little actual experience of life. That said, the main irritation today, is that I've had to turn Radio 4 off. All they're talking about is some old biddy, rather than interesting reviews of politics, wars and the economy :wink:(Nb. Though to be fair, I am looking forward to the funeral. Should be some decent military marching bands and who knows, maybe a couple of decent choral events)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

gbnz wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 1:17pm
Jdsk wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 10:58am My preference for abolition is noting to do with any monarch's personal behaviour,
And aside from all that, the absurdity of some old woman, representing the country. And one who's never worked or had a job and has little actual experience of life. That said, the main irritation today, is that I've had to turn Radio 4 off. All they're talking about is some old biddy, rather than interesting reviews of politics, wars and the economy :wink:(Nb. Though to be fair, I am looking forward to the funeral. Should be some decent military marching bands and who knows, maybe a couple of decent choral events)
I'm sure she would speak very highly of you.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike_Ayling wrote: 23 May 2022, 2:49am
Jdsk wrote: 21 May 2022, 3:55pm Albanese is probably about to become Prime Minster of Australia. He's unambiguously in support of it becoming a republic.

Albo has now been sworn in by the Governor General.
AFAIK it requires a referendum to become a republic and as we have compulsory voting nobody really knows whether it would pass.
Not going to happen next week.
First "Minister for a republic" appointed:
https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... 01119688a8

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Yes, all this Royalty stuff is a bit absurd but it gives a lot of people here a bit of pleasure and draws in visitors from across the world.

Can you imagine folk toasting Usula Von de Leyon with hosts of EU flags. In Britain we are prodimently nationalists thats why Brexit happened.

When the Queen passes on I expect the Royals will cut it down to a sustainable size and chuck out a lot of the privelige and other expensive nonsense .

I think Nationist Brits enjoy sticking up two fingers to bland mediocrity

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

That could open-up a multitude of avenues, given that Britain is composed of several nations, and at least as much, possibly more, nationalism attaches to those individual nations as to Britain. A further complexity, of course, is that viewed as individual nations, not all of them voted for Brexit; it might be suggested that in Scotland, for instance, nationalism and favouring EU membership are close bedfellows.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Nearholmer wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 6:02pm That could open-up a multitude of avenues, given that Britain is composed of several nations, and at least as much, possibly more, nationalism attaches to those individual nations as to Britain.
I'd guess that this is how it will play out in practice, much more likely than anything resembling a single vote on monarchy across the whole of the current United Kingdom.

And against a background of Commonwealth countries gradually abandoning the monarchy at their own pace.

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

We are a democracy and every nation in the UK and the Commonwealth can do its own thing which is as it should be.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 6:13pm We are a democracy and every nation in the UK and the Commonwealth can do its own thing which is as it should be.
I'm not sure what you mean by "every nation in the UK" but the 2016 referendum clearly showed that the people of Scotland and Northern Ireland couldn't do what they clearly wanted.

Jonathan
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

In contrast to what al_arpyl seems to be implying, I can well imagine individual nations that currently form part of the U.K. morphing to become simultaneously independent states, members of the EU and continuing to accept the monarchy, especially given that it is a dual monarchy as between England and Scotland anyway. James VI and I, and all that.

TBH, I don’t buy the contention that the narrow majority in favour of Brexit was because we are predominantly nationalists; to me it seemed a great deal more complex than that, despite odd flag-wavers attempting to conflate patriotism and brexitism at the time.

As for English Nationalism, ye gods! As an Englishman nothing could be further from what I would personally want to see, given it’s connotations, so at that level I’m possibly anti-nationalistic.