thirdcrank

Re: Highway Code revisions: Now implemented 29 January 2022

Post by thirdcrank »

AIUI, somebody could be banned from cycling by an injunction made under the Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 ie a civil order.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2014/12/contents

This replaced the ASBO introduced in 1998. One feature in relation to adults is that the injunction is made by a judge, rather than magistrates' court, which suggests to me fewer being made. My interpretation is that it wouldn't apply to traffic offences as such, but if somebody was cycling around doing something anti-social then perhaps "no cycling" might be part of a move to prevent the anti-social behaviour.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mjr wrote: 4 Mar 2022, 9:55am
Bmblbzzz wrote: 4 Mar 2022, 8:52am However, the same comments apply. If what's suggested is a regular retest, in effect every ten years for most people, then it would make sense to test two things: that you've maintained the competence, knowledge and (as referenced by several people) attitudes that got you the licence initially; and that you've kept up to date with changes in legislation and practice (which might include new road layouts, eg "through-abouts").
I agree in some ways. I still think there is no chance of getting through a retest that is a new test to so many.

Throughabouts have been used since the 1960s. They used to be called hamburger roundabouts. Not a new layout. Diverging diamonds are more recent and disconcerting, driving on the right for a bit.
Throughabouts were not a good example, they were just in my mind because one has been in the local news lately. The specific examples are going to vary with time and place, but the point is there will usually be something new in infrastructure or usage.

As for "no chance of getting through a retest that is a new test to so many" all those retakers were taking a new test 10 (or 20 or whenever) years ago. If they have to study the HC, maybe take some brush-up lessons, and generally pay attention, once a decade – surely that is a good thing?

Or did you mean "no chance of getting a retest that is a new test to so many through [Parliament]"?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 4 Mar 2022, 10:29am Or did you mean "no chance of getting a retest that is a new test to so many through [Parliament]"?
That. How many MPs with driving licences did any Hazard Perception Test, let alone the current post-2015 one? Enough would object from self-interest, even before the gutter media started their "war on the motorist" schtick.

I'd start small with questions that none should get wrong, which means those objecting can be made to look reckless, then see if it raised standards at all or enough and use that to argue for tightening or giving it up as useless.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think it's generally best to start with what I'll term beginners and then consider an extension. I persist in think that what's most lacking is a measure of attitudes (personality?)

An example of what I see as selfishness. Yesterday on a SMART (variable speed limit) bit of the M62 I noticed blue beacons and flashing headlamps in the distance in my mirror. In the circumstances, no need for anything exotic - just leave the overtaking lane clear. Easy peasy. Although no speed limits were displayed on the gantries, the presence of cameras brings typical speeds down to around 65ish mph as drivers keep under 70 using speedos which exaggerate their speed. Now, some drivers, perhaps with GPS speedos want to go faster, particularly between cameras so they were leapfrogging in and out of the overtaking lane, with no certainty that they would be able to clear the overtaking lane if eg traffic suddenly slowed. The emergency vehicle was a fire engine and might well have been attending a pile-up ahead when the tailback would already be building quickly. In the event, no wrecks and nobody drownded, at least not on the M62, but imo drivers who cannot leave the overtaking lane totally clear for a fire engine are unlikely to be any less selfish in other circumstances.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I tried to buy a copy of the new Highway Code with details of these changes. It's not being released until the 16th of April. Seems rather stupid not to have released the new code before the changes were implemented.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 7:20am I tried to buy a copy of the new Highway Code with details of these changes. It's not being released until the 16th of April. Seems rather stupid not to have released the new code before the changes were implemented.
As I understand it from earlier posts here and elsewhere, the changes could have been blocked until almost they were implemented, so it would have been a gamble to start producing the printed code early enough to get it in shops on New Code Day, which I bet the government weren't willing to underwrite for the commercial Stationery Office.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 10:51am
pete75 wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 7:20am I tried to buy a copy of the new Highway Code with details of these changes. It's not being released until the 16th of April. Seems rather stupid not to have released the new code before the changes were implemented.
As I understand it from earlier posts here and elsewhere, the changes could have been blocked until almost they were implemented, so it would have been a gamble to start producing the printed code early enough to get it in shops on New Code Day, which I bet the government weren't willing to underwrite for the commercial Stationery Office.
As far as I can see (checked back in Feb and again today) you can't even download the new HC as a complete PDF for offline reference. It's just an onlink link clicking format where you have to keep clicking "Show" links at several levels to get at the rules. Might be 3rd party complete downloads but the definitive one is from Gov. websites and they should have been able to get a downloadable PDF sorted ages ago. (Assuming I have not missed some page on gov.uk website).

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Has a PDF copy ever been available on gov.uk?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 12:05pm Has a PDF copy ever been available on gov.uk?
No idea but in the absence of a printed copy it would seem sensible. i.e. some means to get an offline copy for reference (given previously the HC was available printed and new one still isn't).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Of the new version or the previous?

For the new one there's a very useful table of changes, and the webbish version of the whole thing. I haven't seen a pdf.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Not directly connected to the new HC but here's a problem caused by trying to alert drivers of a change in advance and being legged up when the change was delayed and possibly scrapped

Clean Air Zone sign updates to cost £186k
Covering over 1,000 out-of-date Clean Air Zone signs in Greater Manchester with stickers will cost taxpayers £186,000, a council report revealed.

The project was due to start on 30 May but was paused to allow for further consultation and a review.

Stickers saying "under review" will be added to 1,194 signs installed across the region earlier this year.

The scheme was put on hold in February after opposition from businesses over the cost of making vehicles compliant.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-60821872
rjb

Post by rjb »

thirdcrank wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 12:17pm Not directly connected to the new HC but here's a problem caused by trying to alert drivers of a change in advance and being legged up when the change was delayed and possibly scrapped

Clean Air Zone sign updates to cost £186k
Covering over 1,000 out-of-date Clean Air Zone signs in Greater Manchester with stickers will cost taxpayers £186,000, a council report revealed.

The project was due to start on 30 May but was paused to allow for further consultation and a review.

Stickers saying "under review" will be added to 1,194 signs installed across the region earlier this year.

The scheme was put on hold in February after opposition from businesses over the cost of making vehicles compliant.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-60821872
£186k to cover a thousand signs. That's £186 per sign. :shock:
Why don't they put a black refuse sack over the sign and use gaffa tape to secure it so they can easily be removed when the scheme becomes live. :wink:
Even employ some job seekers to cycle around to do them.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 1:29pm
Of the new version or the previous?

For the new one there's a very useful table of changes, and the webbish version of the whole thing. I haven't seen a pdf.
The printed version appeared in March, and immediately became the bestselling publication in the UK.

A short history:
https://www.economist.com/britain/2022/ ... ists-again

Jonathan

PS: I don't think that there's a pdf.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

This, while clearly not official, does appear to be the latest version:

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/uploads ... 3-2022.pdf
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

DaveReading wrote: 21 May 2022, 5:48pm This, while clearly not official, does appear to be the latest version:

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/uploads ... 3-2022.pdf
I've never understood that website. The reproduction of the Highway Code does seem to be accurate. There seem to be some promotional aspects. But who runs it, and what is DrivingEd?

Jonathan