Riese Muller Birdy

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DAV_1965

Riese Muller Birdy

Post by DAV_1965 »

Wonder if anyone can help me with this...
I bought the above from Bike Recyke place in Newcastle
Basically, sold as seen with the proviso that the rims were shot and probably need replacing.
Taken a second opinion and my long time mechanic-buddy agrees
This is the bit I have come unstuck with, I had 0 experience with small wheeled bikes and was not anticipating sourcing a new set of rims would be so hard, in the UK. It is. No interest from SJS , there is a guy in Glasgow who seems to deal with R & M but he never picks the phone up.
Rim size = 355 x 16
Any ideas from anyone?
For the record I have just spent a week in 2 big, German, cycling friendly cities and only saw one Birdy in that week. They all seem to have gone all in with Bromptons!

Help appreciated
Thanks, David
thirdcrank

Re: Riese Muller Birdy

Post by thirdcrank »

I no longer have my Birdy - 1997 Elox model - but IIRC the wheels were some variation of 18" and that seems to be the size on currently advertised Birdys
Cyckelgalen

Post by Cyckelgalen »

I love Birdy , but one of its flaws IMHO is the unusual rim size, 18". You better try German online shops.

Here you have 24, 32 and 36 spoke Birdy rims for 35 euros. Look at "Birdy Felgen":

https://pedalkraft.de/birdy-ersatzteile

As you can see, this retailer stocks many Birdy spares, including 18" Schwalbe tyres that you may consider.
I checked and they do ship worldwide and will take 19% off the price (German VAT ) when shipping outside the EU. Open "impressum" at the top menu bar and you can see the contact details. You can write an email in English and they should sort you out.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Hello!
It might be worth looking to see if there are any A2B magazines recorded on the Internet. The A2B magazine was a small monthly publication about folding bicycles and electric folding bicycles* and the availability of birdy wheel rims would often be featured.
One article showed that you could substitute the 18 wheel rim with a brompton 16 inch wheel rim (with change of tyres etc) with no considerable loss of performance.
Can't remember what solutions they found to rim braking, but it may be worth a hunt on the Internet.

*hey, I'm trying to remember this from years and years ago. Considering I've recently found my reading glasses in the kitchen sink and my toothbrush in the fridge, the A2B magazine may well have been about goldfish and Japanese art...
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
DAV_1965

Post by DAV_1965 »

Thanks all.
Appreciate you taking the time.
David
DAV_1965

Post by DAV_1965 »

Thanks for this very useful. Not sure if I was losing the plot earlier...did the URL in you post change 15:00 to 15:45?

I love Birdy , but one of its flaws IMHO is the unusual rim size, 18". You better try German online shops.

Here you have 24, 32 and 36 spoke Birdy rims for 35 euros. Look at "Birdy Felgen":

https://pedalkraft.de/birdy-ersatzteile

As you can see, this retailer stocks many Birdy spares, including 18" Schwalbe tyres that you may consider.
I checked and they do ship worldwide and will take 19% off the price (German VAT ) when shipping outside the EU. Open "impressum" at the top menu bar and you can see the contact details. You can write an email in English and they should sort you out.
[/quote]
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

cycle tramp wrote: 21 May 2022, 3:46pm Hello!
It might be worth looking to see if there are any A2B magazines recorded on the Internet. The A2B magazine was a small monthly publication about folding bicycles and electric folding bicycles* and the availability of birdy wheel rims would often be featured.
One article showed that you could substitute the 18 wheel rim with a brompton 16 inch wheel rim (with change of tyres etc) with no considerable loss of performance.
Can't remember what solutions they found to rim braking, but it may be worth a hunt on the Internet.

*hey, I'm trying to remember this from years and years ago. Considering I've recently found my reading glasses in the kitchen sink and my toothbrush in the fridge, the A2B magazine may well have been about goldfish and Japanese art...
https://www.atob.org.uk/
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
BarryS

Post by BarryS »

I may be able to help here, as used to have have bike with this size. I think I still have some spares wheel and tyres - send me a message and I will check