Pictures of your bike(s)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: Pictures of your bike(s)

Post by Cowsham »

VinceLedge wrote: 20 May 2022, 5:53pm Our Marlin 6's in touring mode! Finished the C2C and now to cycle home!
Looked that up and it seems, for 2022 version at least, you can't buy a medium sized bike with 27.5" wheels only 29" -- is that the way mtb in general is going?
I am here. Where are you?
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Seems to be, and the 29s seem to work pretty well.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

A bit VHS and BetaMax -- about 4 years ago when I was deciding but went with the 27.5 thinking it'll be the more popular choice for getting tyres etc. Maybe I was wrong there.
Last edited by Cowsham on 23 Jun 2022, 9:55am, edited 1 time in total.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Also 29 is quite handy coz you can also fit 700c gravel tyres, ideal for the mixed surfaces we did and they roll well on the road.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

VinceLedge wrote: 21 May 2022, 7:40pm Also 29 is quite handy coz you can also fit 700c gravel tyres, ideal for the mixed surfaces we did and they roll well on the road.
Didn't know that. That's a definite advantage there.
Emyr Parry

Post by Emyr Parry »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G4WSc6rj1mAcoX6t8

The bike has actually featured on these pages before, but it’s quite a nice one so I hope it's allowed.
The location has changed, so please …. Have a go!
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

My dad handed me his 1996 DeMayo Scorpione recently. He had problems with the gearing and gave up trying to get it to work.
A 16" 631 frame fitted with 9 speed Campagnolo Veloce throughout apart from the brakes. Those are Acor. I've not heard of these before.
The clearances tell me it was designed to be a lightweight tourer. It's certainly stable enough. If only my Wayfarer handled as beautifully as this.
From some intensive googling, there's very little info on these bikes. A bloke who worked at Raleigh taught frame building to another bloke who in turn allegedly taught Chas Mayo. I've no idea who he is either. But he apparently made a few bike models for a short time before throwing in the towel due to competition from the tinterweb.
I've since fitted a shorter stem and longer mudguards and I'm hoping to replace the cambium saddle my dad fitted.
The Wayfarer is awaiting being built into an etourer so when those bits arrive, it's chainset and bottom bracket will replace the DeMayos. I can't push it's huge gears :|
IMG_20220604_112453.jpg
Attachments
18191.jpg
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

9 speed Campagnolo Veloce
I had their 10 speed gs on a Moulton recently and no matter what I did, I just couldn't get it to index consistantly...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Here's my eBrute, leaning against our barn door:

I've since swapped the tyres for Schwalbe Duranos. Very comfy. The bottle will give me 140k if I don't flog it.

Only trouble is that it has a 1" steerer, and hen's teeth are easier to find.

Here it is in its original avatar:

Have we got time for another cuppa?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Audax67 wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 3:24pm Only trouble is that it has a 1" steerer, and hen's teeth are easier to find.
Here it is in its original avatar:
You can get 1.1/8" steerers with reducers to suit 1" steerers or just buy a shim.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/stems/mpart ... ch-254-mm/
I did this on a Bob Jackson which had a 1" steerer with no problems.
(or is that not the problem ?)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Vantage wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 11:33am From some intensive googling, there's very little info on these bikes. A bloke who worked at Raleigh taught frame building to another bloke who in turn allegedly taught Chas Mayo. I've no idea who he is either. But he apparently made a few bike models for a short time before throwing in the towel due to competition from the tinterweb.
Chas May was a one man band framebuilder who worked from his home in Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh during the 1990s and early 2000s. Custom fillet brazed compact race frames were a speciality of his, with steeply sloping top tubes, threadless 1" steel forks and matching custom brazed ahead stems which in the high rise position gave a set up identical to the rider's normal position on a conventional road bike with horizontal top tube, but which when flipped to the low rise position - and in combination with aero/tri bars fitted to the handlebars - gave a very aero rider set up for time trialling. Your frame is very similar in appearance to those bikes, but obviously was designed with a sloping top tube simply to provide the optimal fit for your father. I think the quality of his frames was generally reckoned to be very good, and yours certainly looks a very nice example.

I am puzzled by the unfamiliar name on the downtube, which I am also struggling to read (Colluti? Colcuti?), but the headbadge transfer is like those I have seen on other De Mayo frames. Maybe the italian name was one that he used before he was more established, when his down and seat tube transfers were like those in this photograph - http://recyclingbikes.co.uk/wp-content/ ... 480301.jpg.

As well as custom built frames, he sold a very small range of parts and components, and did bike fits. Circa 2000 he also started selling off-the-peg aluminium road race frames made by a small company in Italy (there is a limit to how much profit a custom framebuilder can make per week, given that they can typically only make one frame or thereabouts per week, whereas there is no such limit on re-selling off the shelf frames made in bulk by a manufacturer, i.e. a precursor of the modern model of most UK bike brands relying on contract manufacturing in Taiwan, and many buying catalogue frames which are simply badged for them).

Chas May ceased trading in 2001/2002. Maybe commercial pressures were a partial or even the main/sole reason, but he said that it was triggered by health issues caused/aggravated by the work/exposure involved in framebuilding.

Anyway, what matters is that you have acquired a very good handling frame which should give you a lot of pleasure.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Wow thankyou slowster :)
The transfer on the down tube reads "Colluti".
Dad bought it second hand from the tinterweb. Cyclingshop.org which doesn't seem to exist anymore.
The partial ad I see on it says the bike was built in 2008-9 but the headbadge says "since 1996". Who knows.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Cyclo2022

Post by Cyclo2022 »

New Bike Day 😊
Well my Ribble Enthusiast CX SL arrived today after waiting just under 6 months for it to arrive, and thankfully it has come before the start of the new Cyclocross season.
Took it out today on her maiden voyage and I am well impressed with it, there was no feeling that I was sitting on top of the bike like some have reported, on the contrary I felt as if I was part of the bike and it didn't feel at all twitchy which some cyclists have also complained about. Full Carbon frame and level five integrated handlebars make this bike a real mover and I took her on the road, gravel and on rough uneven terrain and she passed every test. I couldn't be happier....👍🏻
Attachments
20220623_155423.jpg
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Cyclo2022 wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 4:34pm New Bike Day 😊
Well my Ribble Enthusiast CX SL arrived today after waiting just under 6 months for it to arrive, and thankfully it has come before the start of the new Cyclocross season.
Took it out today on her maiden voyage and I am well impressed with it, there was no feeling that I was sitting on top of the bike like some have reported, on the contrary I felt as if I was part of the bike and it didn't feel at all twitchy which some cyclists have also complained about. Full Carbon frame and level five integrated handlebars make this bike a real mover and I took her on the road, gravel and on rough uneven terrain and she passed every test. I couldn't be happier....👍🏻
Great when a plan comes together. Health to enjoy.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Everything but the kitchen sink!
20220613_190100.jpg
Us on the way back home to NI -- in the IOM welcome centre sorting out botched up tickets.