The tool you bought that proved a revelation ??

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rjb

Re: The tool you bought that proved a revelation ??

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote: 10 May 2022, 5:36pm Stop it! :shock:

Moulton will go first.

Sadly, not been riding any bike for weeks. Mrs Mick F is away, and I'm walking the lively Border Collie. Cycling has to take a back seat behind dog walking, domestic chores, shopping, gardening, etc etc.

She's not due back until the end of this month ............ a month late as she should have been home 20th April.
Can't you press your CF trailer into service and take doggie for a ride around the lanes. You won't need to cut your grass as it's no mow May. :wink:
Last edited by rjb on 11 May 2022, 7:16am, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Sweep wrote: 10 May 2022, 10:16pm Link please.
Wot is it?
Old ladder now discontinued-
https://www.onlinediystore.co.uk/abru-m ... 4155-p.asp

New one-
https://www.aladder.co.uk/item-abru_blu ... orm52.html
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rjb wrote: 10 May 2022, 10:39pm Can't you press your CF trailer into service and take doggie for a ride around the lanes. You won't need to cut your grass as it's no mow May. :wink:
One, you've not met Sailor the Border Collie!
He's our fifth one over the years, we had one before we had children.
Sailor is five times as much trouble, as all the other four put together!
He wouldn't sit still in a trailer, he's bad enough in the car despite being held down by a seat-belt attachment on the back seat.

Who says it's "no mow May"?
I cut ours on the 6th. Had I not done it then an not cut it until June, we wouldn't be able to cut it again unless by scythe! :shock:
I gets cut fortnightly or even more frequently.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Wildlife organisations are promoting the ,"no mow May" message for the health of wildlife, bees in particular.
large.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 10 May 2022, 10:51pm Hi,
Wot is it?

New one-
Thanks.
Can i ask how stable it is when used as a bench?
Do you ever fix a vice to it?
Sweep
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you are looking for versatility in folding ladders, imo Little Giant is worth a look. (I'd struggle to see a connection with cycling.....)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Sweep wrote: 11 May 2022, 2:18pm
Wot is it?

New one-
Thanks.
Can i ask how stable it is when used as a bench?
Do you ever fix a vice to it?
Its useful because it has good height for working, wood work, assembling things, base for tool box and working on bicycle parts, etc.
Too low a bench, and bench work whilst standing and working on things with hands, gives you a neck ache!

Its an outside tool basically, if you dont have a shed garage etc.
I have added a wooden tray to one end on the top face, half the length of the platform, which contains what you are working on.
It doubles as a ladder etc, ideal for cleaning windows on lower floor.
If you have a garage and that's where you spend most of your time then it isn't required, unless you work on things in the outside in the sun and fresh air.

Its not stable enough for a vice but I do fix a vice and plane wood etc on it, off hand tool grinder.
I do at times place my foot on it to stabilise....................work mates no different, cutting metal needs a fixed bench ideally.
For a diy'er its a boon :) I would be lost without mine.

Who puts there tool box on the floor when you work outside on your bike........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for reply.
Will keep in mind.
Sweep
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 12 May 2022, 11:59amWho puts there tool box on the floor when you work outside on your bike........
Not me. In addition to the workshop bench, the Workmate, the bike stand etc I have a fold-down shelf on the inside of a garage door. This is set to the correct height for tools and components when I'm standing working on the bike on the stand outside. Very helpful.

Jonathan
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've bolted an old door by its hinges to the wall of my garage so it folds up and down and has a pair of legs attached by hinges. When opened up it provides a large work bench. Covered the top with chipboard. When folded flat against the wall it leaves sufficient room to get the car in.

Like this one. Mines too untidy to show you all. :oops:
Drop-down-Workbench-Pic-4-2.jpg
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

rjb wrote: 12 May 2022, 1:35pm I've bolted an old door by its hinges to the wall of my garage so it folds up and down and has a pair of legs attached by hinges. When opened up it provides a large work bench. Covered the top with chipboard. When folded flat against the wall it leaves sufficient room to get the car in.

Like this one. Mines too untidy to show you all. :oops:

Drop-down-Workbench-Pic-4-2.jpg
Solid fire doors make excellent bench-tops, even in the trade. I once asked in a timber merchant whether they had any damaged fire doors going cheap to make a bench; the reply was, 'Well if we haven't, we can soon damage you one'. :wink:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Wot is it?

New one-

I have the old discontinued ladder which is much more useful. I remember thinking what a shame health an safety or possibly cost has buggored a good item. Those bars across the bottom means it won't fit in the van with the same ease -- it would need to be made removable with some kind of clip and fold into the rungs to make it more stowable. I think the new one and every other version went the same way -- big awkward stabilizer bars across the ends.
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

That trangia 25 -- I was recommended to get on this forum. viewtopic.php?t=150713

It's dear for what it is but is a great thing. We used it all day yesterday at the nw200 and ate like slobs testing different meals on it in preparation for the TT.

My brother came up with an idea for keeping the tea ( water ) warm while cooking the food -- simply bring a small flask big enough for two cups ( which I have -- stainless ) then boil more water for the second cup each while we eat.

Means carrying a small stainless flask extra but I've added a front rack to both bikes so have more capacity.

Any suggestions for a light stainless 2 cup flask as mine are quite heavy.
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

The jaws of Mole wrenches are the wrong shape. I have an American Vise-Grip, which is much better. It also cuts wire. The release lever also works the right way round. I've had mine for over 40 years. We use it for cracking nuts, too.

The other tool is the VAR tyre lever. I threw away all the others I had. It even makes fitting 16" Brompton tyres easy.

The third is not a tool: Loctite goes on all my screw threads. They never come undone until I want them undone.

The fourth is a philosophy: buy good tools once. If you buy cheap ones, you'll buy them again, and again...

And tools to throw away? The multi-spanners that used to come with Raleigh bikes and the dumb-bell multi-spanners too - made of some soft goo and too chunky to fit in the space around the nut.
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

plancashire wrote: 22 May 2022, 10:04pm
And tools to throw away the dumb-bell multi-spanners too - made of some soft goo and too chunky to fit in the space around the nut.
Yes these are crap -- although I had one in the seventies which was made of good hard metal ( dull grey in colour ) and lasted many years but any subsequent shiny ones seemed like they were made of plastic.