Catrike mudguards (and flaps?)

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
belgiangoth

Catrike mudguards (and flaps?)

Post by belgiangoth »

I have fitted mudguards to the Catrike, but they catch when I drop off the curb.
from the lowest mudguard attachment point to the ground is 13cm (second picture). I reckon I will re-drill the mudguards to rotate them forward so that they don't go as far past the attachment point. I was thinking mudguard flaps to retain a degree of protection from the crud. I reckon I will ask RAW what they reckon and possibly go with an SKS version otherwise.
Thoughts?

For comparison, here is a Catrike setup where the mudguards are not too low
Here the end of the mudguard is ~ level with the hub, so my mudguard would have more wraparound.

On my fixie I have SKS Longboards and the mudguard ends much lower...
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
rotavator

Re: Catrike mudguards (and flaps?)

Post by rotavator »

I made my own mudflaps out of thick rubber (tractor inner tube) and attached them with pop rivets. It was a quite satisfying job and of course I could make them the exact size and shape that I wanted.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

I used to use rear mudguards on the front wheels. The longer front section kept your feet drier in puddles on corners and the rear section pulled out more to accommodate the arc of the rearward spray. I also found it good to pop rivet/ zip tie some stiff plastic to the inner stays to save splashes to the side.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

If I had the D&T skills and facilities I would create some spads type mudguards that would cover the top half of the wheel and enclose the sides for aero and side splash prevention.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.