Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Pendodave

Re: Travelling with a touring bike on a train in the uk

Post by Pendodave »

in4time wrote: 24 May 2022, 8:19am Using the national rail website to book a one way from Liverpool to Aviemore (at a very reasonable £48) looked great but the bike booking option doesn’t work, just returns an error message.
With a rohloff hub on my rear wheel there is no way I’ll be hanging my bike from a hook.
I’ll try again.
What route is being proposed?
I think you may need to book the bike on each section individually (others may know better). Also note that not all sections may have bookable bikes, which might confuse it.
A helpful ticket office would see you right. Better visit before they all get shut down...
pal

Post by pal »

Yes: a (not absolute, but recurring...) glitch in the bike booking system is that it can't always cope if one leg of a journey requires a booking and another doesn't: anything involving a Northern train (where no bookings are required) seems particularly likely to throw it into a spin. I think this must be a flaw in the underlying software, not in individual train companies' systems (because the same problem comes up on sites which use different booking platforms - e.g. LNER and Transpennine).

When that happens to me, I usually check the separate legs to make sure that there's a bike space available for the bits where that's an issue; then, depending on how the prices work out, either book the legs separately (with bike bookings where needed), or book the whole thing without a bike reservation, and contact the train companies to add the bike bookings (or, as suggested, just go to a station to sort it out). It's a faff, though I don't hold out much hope of it being fixed any time soon...
PH

Post by PH »

in4time wrote: 24 May 2022, 8:19am Using the national rail website to book a one way from Liverpool to Aviemore (at a very reasonable £48) looked great but the bike booking option doesn’t work, just returns an error message.
Some booking sites are better than others, I use GWR, you don't have to be using their trains. If that fails, I've usually had good service from a booking office, just try and go at a quiet time.
You don't get much choice about the style of cycle storage, I suppose you could research which trains are on which routes, I just accept whatever is provided. I don't get the comment about hanging a Rohloff, mine are hung by the wheel at home!
PH

Post by PH »

My one touring train trip this year was Derby > Peterborough > Derby over the Easter weekend. Not the longest of train journeys, I'd intended to ride but other stuff got in the way, so it wasn’t well planned. I left Good Friday without a reservation, train Derby > Nottingham was pretty full and a family with pushchairs in the bike space, I stood with the bike by the door. The intended train to Peterborough was rammed, I didn't even try and get on. Jumped on the half full Skegness train as far as Grantham, plenty of bike space in a compartment at the end of the carriage, with luggage space above. I thought, if need be, I’d ride from Grantham, but no problem getting the LNER. Made the bike booking at the ticket office 15 minutes before the train arrived, couldn’t have got on without it, plenty of seats free. The cupboard was the modified version with the lower hooks and ramps, no problem getting my large flat bar tourer in there, though a second bike would have been impossible. It's a shame the bike provision is so poor on these new trains, they are, judging from my short experience, excellent in other regards, quiet and comfortable with plenty of leg room.
Return journey Peterborough > Derby on Easter Monday was uneventful, though no trains were running to Derby due to engineering work, so I got a ticket to East Midlands Parkway. I live that side of Derby so it was only an extra few miles home. It wasn't till after I'd bought my ticket that I realised I'd paid more to go to EMP than to Derby, only a couple of quid but galling all the same.
Not the most positive experience ever, but considering it was a sunny Bank Holiday weekend and I hadn’t made plans it wasn’t negative either.
beeb

Post by beeb »

We are booked on the liner from Inverness to Newcastle, we have asked for assistance with luggage and getting the bikes on the train. We'll report back after our trip.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I tried to book a trip with TfW on the Government Train to Cardiff on several train companies' websites last night. When I tried to book a bike space all the websites either froze or said that bike bookings were unavailable. So I went to the station this morning to buy my ticket and the helpful staff confirmed that I could not book a space for my bike and that I should just rock up. We will see how it this plan works out.

A question for the train buffs: how come first class is a lot cheaper than standard on this train? I bought a first class ticket, however, I suspect that it will be rammed and passengers will be migrating to standard class for a bit more space and peace!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

rotavator wrote: 24 May 2022, 1:40pm I tried to book a trip with TfW on the Government Train to Cardiff
What is that??

(I'm assuming TfW is Transport for Wales. That's as far as I can get .. )
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattheus wrote: 24 May 2022, 2:03pm
rotavator wrote: 24 May 2022, 1:40pm I tried to book a trip with TfW on the Government Train to Cardiff
What is that??

I think it's a nickname for "The Premier Service" between Holyhead and Cardiff because some people didn't believe that it was a coincidence that the only TfW service to still have food and first class was one connecting various outlying constituencies and the seat of government. Although I see it will be joined in December by an upgraded Swansea-Manchester service.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

mjr wrote: 24 May 2022, 2:19pm
What is that??

I think it's a nickname for "The Premier Service" between Holyhead and Cardiff because some people didn't believe that it was a coincidence that the only TfW service to still have food and first class was one connecting various outlying constituencies and the seat of government. Although I see it will be joined in December by an upgraded Swansea-Manchester service.
Yes, it departs Holyhead at 05:33, returns from Cardiff at 17:16. I last used it was before Covid when it boasted a guards van with ample space for bikes and a choice of three properly cooked breakfasts, not just microwaved mush. I spotted another first class service on the new timetable too.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

rotavator wrote: 24 May 2022, 4:00pm
mjr wrote: 24 May 2022, 2:19pm
What is that??

Yes, it departs Holyhead at 05:33, returns from Cardiff at 17:16. I last used it was before Covid when it boasted a guards van with ample space for bikes and a choice of three properly cooked breakfasts, not just microwaved mush. I spotted another first class service on the new timetable too.
I'm sure it's just a coincidence!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Just did the Exeter to Barnstaple branch line (GWR, cannot be booked). 6 spaces (in theory- you’d have to top to tail them) but can more or less wheel bike on and they stay level, not hung up. Carriages 1 and 3 of 3 had the spaces each in a block.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

I have read only a small number of comments on this particular diatribe.
My response is, that over many years (I am now old) I used trains for cycle camping trips. Never ever had any problems other than overcrowding in carriages and minimal space for bicycle even if pre booked. In fact attendants on some trains could only be described as very helpful.
My experience for what it is worth.
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

leftpoole wrote: 6 Jun 2022, 12:42pm I have read only a small number of comments on this particular diatribe.
My response is, that over many years (I am now old) I used trains for cycle camping trips. Never ever had any problems other than overcrowding in carriages and minimal space for bicycle even if pre booked. In fact attendants on some trains could only be described as very helpful.
My experience for what it is worth.
I have only been taking Bikes on trains for a couple of years, and it works for us, and all staff have been helpful.
AlanInBangor

Post by AlanInBangor »

hoogerbooger wrote: 12 May 2022, 4:23pm Recently back from LEJOG .....from a base in Swansea.

Outward

Best train for us would have been a GWR from Cardiff to Penzance on which bike and ticket could have been booked online ( as we know now, do this rather than trainline then bike reservations by phone)......However, we were too slow ( 5 weeks ahead) and no bike spaces available. (Swansea to Cardiff usually easy to get bike on).
We used that service for our autumn LEJOG. GWR told us bike spaces were unreservable but six were available and that we should be fine, which we were.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I took the Government train down to Cardiff recently and I am pleased to report that:
1. It still has a guard's van with lots of space for bikes
2. You still have a choice of properly cooked breakfast
3. Plenty of space.
4. And, to cap it all, an advanced first class ticket, bought three days in advance, was cheaper than standard class.

It was a very pleasant, stress-free trip to start my tour.