Cycling Tourist Competition 1961

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jimlews

Cycling Tourist Competition 1961

Post by jimlews »

gaz

Re: Cycling Tourist Competition 1961

Post by gaz »

The BCTC, IIRC not long after joining CTC I unwittingly took part in one regional heat (1987) without having any concept of what was going on. Not my beverage of choice.

The BCTC died it's death in the early 1990s.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
djb

Post by djb »

A 61 year old dusty, scratchy and jumpy episode of a GCN EPIC bikepacking trip!

Kinda funny how everything old is new again
I'm Canadian but have read of the Roughstuff club or whatever the name was in the UK from this period (probably on here)
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I rode a few through the 1970s and into the 80s and helped in some too. You needed a saddlebag or similar, stuffing things in the pockets of your Greenspot jacket would lose you points. Tools were checked and you had to have 3 tyre levers, no fewer. First aid kit of course. Spare parts might include a few screws and a cotter pin if you used them. The route would entail mapreading where your planned route would be checked for accuracy at the start; a pace judging section where your watch was removed and you had to estimate how long a section would take you; afterwards there would be general touring type question (very widely ranging subject) plus questions on observation (e.g where did you see a pheasant topiary bush?). You might lose points for getting out of the saddle on a climb, or walking, or dismounting where the observer considered it unsafe (e.g a blind bend on a narrow 1 in 5 hill).
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

It all sounds vaguely military, as if the people running it had really enjoyed the disciplined environment of the services, and wanted everyone else to experience the joy of it too. It does look good fun though, for those fit enough, and waterproof enough.
djb

Post by djb »

tatanab wrote: 31 May 2022, 1:51pm I rode a few through the 1970s and into the 80s and helped in some too. You needed a saddlebag or similar, stuffing things in the pockets of your Greenspot jacket would lose you points. Tools were checked and you had to have 3 tyre levers, no fewer. First aid kit of course. Spare parts might include a few screws and a cotter pin if you used them. The route would entail mapreading where your planned route would be checked for accuracy at the start; a pace judging section where your watch was removed and you had to estimate how long a section would take you; afterwards there would be general touring type question (very widely ranging subject) plus questions on observation (e.g where did you see a pheasant topiary bush?). You might lose points for getting out of the saddle on a climb, or walking, or dismounting where the observer considered it unsafe (e.g a blind bend on a narrow 1 in 5 hill).
That is both hilariously nerdy and fun sounding.
Too nerdy for me, but must have been a laugh and a challenge to do.
Thanks for those specific details.