GPS computer allowing multiple bikes? (<£150)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
julian

GPS computer allowing multiple bikes? (<£150)

Post by julian »

My 2015 Garmin 500 is on its last gasp....There's plenty of blurb when looking at new cycle computers, but no info on whether multiple bike mileages (that's 3 for me) can be stored on the one computer (?!).

Does anyone know of 3+ bike "profile"computers?

Navigation / heart rate etc I have no need of :)
rareposter

Re: GPS computer allowing multiple bikes? (<£150)

Post by rareposter »

Most modern bike computers are made to be paired with an app or website where they tally your ride data. If you upload the ride to Strava, you can set multiple bikes in your profile there so as the ride is uploaded you simply select which bike it was and it will keep a running tally. This is why you will not easily find this feature on the computer itself.

Old-style computers (the ones getting their info from a magnet on the wheel) frequently used to come with two wheel size options so you could swap the same unit from (say) a road bike to a mountain bike and it would keep two separate odo readings but GPS units just aren't designed to store that sort of info; the whole point is that you clear out activities (or the unit itself will auto-delete them after a certain time) to free up space.
julian

Post by julian »

Cheers. I'll have to keep looking - I'm not about to increase my screen gazing time by mobile syncing / getting stuck into Strava.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Have you considered non-GPS units? Rather than one device with support for 3 bikes you could get 3 low cost computers using wheel sensors. You don't seem to be looking for the features the GPS devices mostly offer (upload routes, etc.) so maybe a traditional dedicated wheel sensor computer would meet your needs?

Ian
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

I have a Lezyne macro GPS which has seperate profiles for different bikes.
Even down to different Bluetooth connections for things like cadence sensors, and different sets of customised data screens if that's your bag. Long battery life on them too.

Gaz
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Lezyne Mega XL I’ve four bike profiles on it. I think five bikes is the limit.
Yes it can measure numerous other things but you don’t have to use them.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Andy Stow

Post by Andy Stow »

Another vote for Lezyne. I use the Mini, under £100.
julian

Post by julian »

Thanks all - collective wisdom cuts through.

I'll have a check thru those Lezyne models.

BTW I never wanted to buy a GPS but about 10 years ago I had several Cateye/Sigma magnet-computers fail on me, so I tried the (then) cut-price Garmin 500 which has been fine.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Just remember that not only the GPS units, but the GPS *satellites* are dependent on their batteries. Just sayin' ...
borisface

Post by borisface »

After 3 Garmin units, been pretty impressed by my bryton. Excellent battery life quite cheap and wireless transfers of data.