Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
au8st

Re: Just want to say hello.

Post by au8st »

Last edited by au8st on 8 May 2022, 9:28am, edited 1 time in total.
thomthebike

Re: Introductions - tell us about yourself

Post by thomthebike »

Hullo all.
Thom, 42, married to a very understanding wife. One v2.0.
I like bikes. All bikes. Especially wheels and tyres of bikes, and trying odd gear combinations; current every day bike drivetrain is a lovely mesh of SRAM Red, DA7800, Deore XT and SLX with Spa budget sq taper chainset.
I race cyclocross V40 for a local shop. Member of RSF and AUK. Used to TT with a local club and still ride socially with them when able. Stopped TTing due to the introduction of the helmet requirement this year.
We use a Tern GSD for a lot of things; camping, shopping, school runs.
I like cake, good tea and coffee, camping, bread, chips, cider and beer and woolly clothes.
Employed 4 days a week.
I live in South Wales.
I had a nudge from a friend to join here as I'm after a cape/poncho for the Tern for emergency use. Off to the wanted section I go.
twowheelstwokids

Post by twowheelstwokids »

Hi - I'm new to the forum but did have a login yonks ago (lost!) so now back with a new one.

I was involved in transport campaigning many years ago (back before CTC became better known Cycling UK) and through that got into cycling. I went onto became a Breeze Ride Leader and also initiated several women-only groups in my local area - both for mountain biking and on the road - as well as being in various clubs IRL. Since starting my two-wheeled adventure I've acquired two small children, so that's added a new dimension to life - and not a considerable amount of disruption to my own cycling plans.

That's all really. Hi everyone!
Life on two wheels - with the family and for the holidays and a bit of campaigning thrown in.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

twowheelstwokids wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 11:07am Hi - I'm new to the forum but did have a login yonks ago (lost!) so now back with a new one.

I was involved in transport campaigning many years ago (back before CTC became better known Cycling UK) and through that got into cycling. I went onto became a Breeze Ride Leader and also initiated several women-only groups in my local area - both for mountain biking and on the road - as well as being in various clubs IRL. Since starting my two-wheeled adventure I've acquired two small children, so that's added a new dimension to life - and not a considerable amount of disruption to my own cycling plans.

That's all really. Hi everyone!
Welcome back.
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

thomthebike wrote: 7 Apr 2022, 3:05pm Hullo all.
Thom, 42,
Stopped TTing due to the introduction of the helmet requirement this year.
:lol: you'll be welcome on here all right.
twowheelstwokids

Post by twowheelstwokids »

Cowsham wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 3:15pm
twowheelstwokids wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 11:07am Hi - I'm new to the forum but did have a login yonks ago (lost!) so now back with a new one...
Welcome back.
Thanks!
Life on two wheels - with the family and for the holidays and a bit of campaigning thrown in.
lettersquash

Post by lettersquash »

Hi all,

Bikes:
Sceptre Challenge full suspension - Hahahahahaha! On its way to RedemptionBikes at last - have commuted on the big crappy old lump, good for the exercise!
Scott Speedster S40 - just been given by next-door neighbour - currently getting to know how it's meant to work and making it do so (all gears were seized, bearings rough, head race not sure what that noise is, etc...).
Marinoni Special, circa 1983, been in bits for too long, BB broke and totally seized in frame, but not for long. I intend to continue adapting it for camping/touring, partly done already, replace much of vintage Campag fittings with cheap stuff & flog the bits, keep the frame, smaller crankset for touring, etc. I know that's "all wrong".

Experience: Just casual biking, and not much knowledge of gear. Getting back into it with the hope of doing a lot more cycle wild camping (a few short trips is all so far). Fell in love with the freedom a bike gives when I was a kid, used to cycle for miles all day along the country roads north of Leeds. Longest and stupidest bike ride was from Harrogate to Oxford, on a heavy old bike with 3-speed Sturmey Archer hub, camping and cooking en route and carrying as many of my belongings as I could fit on a large basket on the rear frame I made myself or tied everywhere else, with a guitar on my back. About 40 years ago. :lol:
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

lettersquash wrote: 17 May 2022, 12:23pm Longest and stupidest bike ride was from Harrogate to Oxford, on a heavy old bike with 3-speed Sturmey Archer hub, camping and cooking en route and carrying as many of my belongings as I could fit on a large basket on the rear frame I made myself or tied everywhere else, with a guitar on my back.
Did you write any songs on the way?
https://youtu.be/OABmqwnRq2M
https://youtu.be/mmJo2ylzSNs
Ciminera

Post by Ciminera »

Hello

I'm Dan... I'm in South Wales, and after years away from cycling I've spent the past few years struggling on a mango point r road bike with many many too few gears for my heft :oops: but just sold it last week and promptly replaced it with a dawes horizon

chris661

Post by chris661 »

Hi everyone,

I'm Chris. Getting back into cycling after about 7 years off. Had a Giant Yukon FX2 which I gradually upgraded, did Whitehaven to Sunderland, and then it got stolen. The replacement, a Voodoo Canzo, had a problem with the back brake which never went away (despite going as far as a complete replacement). That ended up sitting in a couple of different garages, being problematic, until I decided to get back on a saddle.

This time, I wanted something reasonably light and fast for commuting, but with enough off-road capability for paths through forests, farm tracks, etc etc. Settled on a Pinnacle Cobalt 3, which I'm mostly happy with. Pic below.

Since that photo, I've swapped out the brake rotors to 180/160mm Shimano ones. The stock Tektro ones juddered quite badly under heavy braking. While they still worked fine, it didn't fill me with confidence. The bigger rotor on the front gives a bit more stopping power, too, which I like: my old Giant bike had Hope M4s and 203/180mm rotors.

Next steps will be to figure out the gearing. At the moment, it has 40/30/22T at the front at 11-36 (9sp) at the back. That setup works okay for mountain biking (although newer mountain bikes seem to be 1x13 drivetrains), but I easily run out of high gears on roads. I think a new crankset is in order, and am hoping I might find some guidance around here about the best path forwards.

Cheers,
Chris
Hornchurch

Post by Hornchurch »

'

Hi, I've just joined-up

Lurked for a while (as folks do), but have just got back into cycling

Gradually advancing in years - Suffice to say that I started cycling in 1968

Up until late March/April this year, I'd only ever owned THREE cycles....

1, Elsewick Hopper - First bike & snazzy little thing - Deep Metallic-Red & Dark Turquoise - stabilizers, to start with (1968)

2, Edwards 26'' racing bike - Bought for me in 1972 as a (much needed) "present" - went everywhere on that bike, very important to me

3, Claud Butler 'Hammer LX' MTB - Again, 26inch wheels, "cowhowrns" - I still have it (Excellent condition) bought in summer 1998

This year I bought a couple more & have recently just got back into cycling, hence joining this forum

Former Lorry-Driver, Car owner, mainly (heavily) into M/cycles & until now, bicycles had always been "stone dead last"

Combination of "keep fit" & daft-rising fuel prices (& age) have led me back to cycling, which I seem to be enjoying again....

Cheers. "Hawny"

Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Hornchurch wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 1:16am '

Hi, I've just joined-up

1, Elsewick Hopper - First bike & snazzy little thing - Deep Metallic-Red & Dark Turquoise - stabilizers, to start with (1968)

2, Edwards 26'' racing bike - Bought for me in 1972 as a (much needed) "present" - went everywhere on that bike, very important to me

3, Claud Butler 'Hammer LX' MTB - Again, 26inch wheels, "cowhowrns" - I still have it (Excellent condition) bought in summer 1998

This year I bought a couple more & have recently just got back into cycling, hence joining this forum

Former Lorry-Driver, Car owner, mainly (heavily) into M/cycles & until now, bicycles had always been "stone dead last"

Combination of "keep fit" & daft-rising fuel prices (& age) have led me back to cycling, which I seem to be enjoying again....

Cheers. "Hawny"

welcome - don't know if you ever toured/camped with your motorbikes but there is of course a fair degree of crossover between motorcycle and cycling camping gear.
Sweep
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Hi, I've just joined-up

Cheers. "Hawny"

Welcome -- into motorcycles too but getting to prefer bicycles -- converted my brothers old town bike to electric cos of his health and what a revelation! That is now a useful machine, so much so I hired a proper purpose made electric bike when on hols and now sorely tempted to buy one just for commuting. At 30 miles round trip to work I can only do that 2 or 3 times a week when weather allows but I think I could make the price of an electric bike in a year at the price of petrol.
Hornchurch

Post by Hornchurch »

Sweep wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 7:04am

Hi, I've just joined-up

Cheers. "Hawny"

welcome - don't know if you ever toured/camped with your motorbikes but there is of course a fair degree of crossover between motorcycle and cycling camping gear.

Hi Sweep & many thanks for the warm welcome, it's much appreciated.

Even back my early 20's (when I bought an 'Eddie Lawson' type Kawasaki Z.1000-J, brand new), I much prefered my "creature comforts"

I was married to a very attractive/Good-looking girl & we went EVERYWHERE on that 1,000cc M/cycle, even touring abroad.

I kept "getting it in the neck" about my Military-History-Interests (!), including a FANTASTIC week away, touring Normandy, France.

ImageHornchurch's Kawasaki Z.1000-J at Utah-Beach, Normandy, June 1984 by Hornchurch_Aerodrome, on Flickr

We actually stayed at a BEAUTIFUL 'campsite', in the grounds of a properly "old" French, Normandy "chateau"

Like I say, that was waaay back in 1984 (by then, I wuz already-married) & we "camped" in the Chateau grounds - (full week)

Undoubtedly one of THE very-best holidays EVER in my whole entire-life, it was simply idyllic.

Gorgeous 'Good-looking' Girl//Wife - Gorgeous 'Good-looking' (powerful, then) M/cycle, SUPERB weather & idyllic "Chateau" too.

I believe it was this campsite AND chateau-grounds, located HERE = "Chateau de Lez Eaux" at GRANVILLE, NORMANDY

https://www.normandie-camping.com/en/ ... ez-eaux/

I know it wasn't too far from BAYEAUX (soz, spelling !) & near a village called "MARTRAGNY" an A.L.G Hawker Typhoon airfield !

It was 'done' (craftily, by me), so we could "Tour" the Normandy 'D-Day' beachheads, "Sword", "Juno", "Gold", "Omaha" & "Utah"

You'll note/notice that the photo' of my Kawasaki Z.1000-J was taken at the latter, whilst sitting on the actual 'Beach Wall' (Sea-Front)

Behind me, in the dunes (no lie), was an "abandoned" German Wehrmacht 50mm gun, just laying in the sand (!!!!!!!!)

I photographed that, too, as well as many other 'artifacts', including an L.S.T "abandoned" & sunken in the inland-tides (by 75-90%)

I took a fairly-decent SLR with me (& a $hitload of 35mm Agfa & Fuji film-rolls) - Many have yet to be uploaded

Many of the shots I took, we of our (truly 'quality') "pre-erected-tent", but merely just to call it "a tent", would be insulting.

They were LARGE indeed HUGE 'Blue & Orange' luxury-tents (only a few of 'em), that resembled a "mini-chalet" (double/triple-layer)

Bizarrely (& quite frankly, being honest, gratefully) THERE WERE NO KIDS ('Hallelujah'), therefore "no screaming" :P

It wuz quiet, super-quiet, tranquil & we had some SUPERB nice & kind fellow British tourists as direct neighbours.

Back then, "Canvas Holidays" were a kind of new-venture & as I say, only literally a handful of 6-7 tents, as described.

We were next to a LOVELY couple, the man's name Julian & his wife, who had an adorable Riley.1500 (circa 1963 vintage) = MINT !!!!

So whilst my lovely-wife had been a hardcore-camper (as a young gal), "Hawny" here was more into brick-built accomodation !

I really DO admire you lads who just whack-on a tent, portable stove (whatnot) - Stash on your cycles & go proper 'touring'

Just a few weeks ago, I've fitted a decent quality 'rack' to my Silver Claud Butler & only last-week, purchased some saddlebags.

That, to me, was one of THE most important-parts of "ancillary" equipment that I used to carry on my M/cycles (esp' on Holidays)

SWEEP = If you've done any camping using your cycle, I'd like to hear about it, "if" you have any threads open, provide links ?

Re ; "Cowsham" = Am getting back to you later this eve' mate, to chat about your post & welcome (cheers BTW)

Am munching 'grub', I have a bath already "run" AND an outside 'nagging' job to do, before sunset !

Am also surprised to learn that it's ACTUALLY supposed to rain here tomorrow, what seems like the first-time IN MONTHS !

Blimey, I might even be doing some INDOOR jobs for once...... (which I keep on putting-off, whilst the weather's been good.

I'll post some pix of my various cycles later this week (maybe), "if" anyone's remotely interested ?

Cheers !
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Hornchurch - lots of more experienced cyclecampers on here than me.
If you are looking for info on cyclecamping plus experiences I'd just search the forum, or ask questions in the touring and cyclecamping bits.
Might be worthwhile discovering your inner/latent two-wheel camper. Pedal cycles may not be as fast as the powered variety but far easier to secrete yourself with a bike and folk far less concerned with you.
See you over in the camping bits maybe.
Sweep