Velodyssee Roscoff to Nantes - by Brompton??

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MaccPaddler

Re: Velodyssee Roscoff to Nantes - by Brompton - update

Post by MaccPaddler »

Thanks for all the helpful comments - many of which I missed because I was actually away...

We followed the minor roads route from Roscoff to Morlaix, very quiet, very scenic.
The section of cinder-packed rail route from Morlaix to Carhaix was indeed sticky after a storm - and the fallen trees added interest.
The canal towpath was mostly much better than I'd hoped - far better than the average UK canal towpath.
Surfaces varied between hard-pack cinder, nice tarmac, and rather gritty but hard surfaced (think forest access road) from Redon to Nantes.
We used medium sized Ortleib seat packs and Brompton C-bags for luggage and stayed in pre-booked hotels so clothes and human washing was easy.
I drew up GPS routes mainly to be able to find the next hotel - the route is well signed and it's hard to get lost following a canal. I downloaded the gps files from the Velodysee website - they are not totally accurate as some linking paths have been tweaked but they are a good foundation for route drawing.
We carried the Bromptons onto the ferry at Plymouth and they spent the night in our cabin.
We had no issues traveling with the folded bikes on the French TGV and local trains when we went further south visiting relatives and on the return journey to Paris.
I hadn't read the Eurostar conditions carefully enough so we didn't take our Brompton bags for the bikes - I scrounged some large tough bin bags from a hotel and they were big enough to cover most of the bike but left the saddle sticking out. The Eurostar staff weren't especially impressed by my efforts even though the 'dirty' bits of the bikes were covered, and I was instructed to bring proper bags in future. Strange that buggies/prams/folding wheelchairs don't have to be put in bags.

Very enjoyable trip that would have been a lot more tedious to organise if we had used full sized bikes and then needed to book spaces for them on multiple train journeys.

Roscoff to Nantes is a very lovely route through pleasant scenery and lovely towns. It was very quiet on the route in mid-June, we hardly saw a soul. Recommended on any type of bike!
julian

Re: Velodyssee Roscoff to Nantes - by Brompton??

Post by julian »

Thank you for the post: quite a few useful replies. Like the chap above, we have cycle camped a lot in France with Broms- and felt the benefits of less restrictions/hassle to our Tours.

We're loaded-Bromming it from Chateaulin to Nantes on the canal in August, so it will be fun to compare surface notes
Last edited by julian on 24 May 2022, 11:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

We followed the minor roads route from Roscoff to Morlaix, very quiet, very scenic
I always used to follow the route along the estuary. Every time I did it used to think, "Whoo-Hoo - I'm on holiday!" Nice to hear about your fun & frolics. Must go again (passport just arrived - sent off for renewal exactly one month ago)
along the estuary :-)
along the estuary :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’ve always followed the route along the estuary to Morlaix too- I think the correct term may be the corniche and it is lovely although I haven’t done it recently.

Loved doing the canal- very peaceful and a memorable holiday camping with the kids. The train was the most difficult part.
julian

Post by julian »

MrsHJ wrote: 25 May 2022, 11:38am I’ve always followed the route along the estuary to Morlaix too- I think the correct term may be the corniche and it is lovely although I haven’t done it recently.

Loved doing the canal- very peaceful and a memorable holiday camping with the kids. The train was the most difficult part.
julian

Post by julian »

"The train was the most difficult part."

I've seen people have to struggle/faff with (non folding) bikes on Eurostar and TGV's in France.
But on the "RER" Trains we've used there were large compartments for bikes: big enough for 3 or 4 tag-along/ buggy bikes to stay whole.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Me and him indoors and 8 and 10 year olds with panniers. Youngest kid is autistic. Cycled from ferry to Roscof station (now closed - bus service only) and got the train to Morlaix. TGV to Rennes pre booked for two bikes (and the kids bikes were small enough to count as luggage - that was actually a very calm and easy service). I ended up going to SNCF in Piccadilly to book though as I didn’t realise about the 2 bike limit but they were very helpful. TER to Redon. Major issue was logistics so lots of hanging round in stations and stairs without lift options at Morlaix and Redon. Rennes station and trains extremely busy on a Saturday in August so difficult to get the lift and then we got in the train ok but very, very busy. Quite awkward having 4 of us with bikes in a rammed carriage even though there was bike space- lots of moving stuff and suitcases to get off. Given the ferry gets in at 7 or 8am and we got to Redon around 5 it was also a longish day.

It was all accomplished ok and I’ve travelled a lot by train in France with the bike but I always would advise having time and patience and being adaptable and sometimes willing to spend some money to go round a problem. In retrospect we could have got a taxi to Morlaix and taken one largish chunk of hanging around out. I couldn’t have predicted the problems with sheer numbers of people at Rennes but autistic 8 year old did amazingly well.

Made cycling along and camping along the canal on the way back seem a real breeze even with the occasional “I’m never cycling again” from junior. We had a birds and bees talk on the 2km climb up to Mur de Bretagne and I could never have got him cycling up hills before that trip.

Nice guy with taxi and bike rack based in Roscof collected us from Carhaix Plouguer and took us back to the ferry when we ran out of time to do that last bit. I don’t think it would have been ideal for the kids though. He was too expensive to take us to Redon- I’d asked for a quote before travelling but I think it was north of 400 euros and this was 2014.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

Yes - Taxis are horrifically expensive here. Budget on 120-150 € for an hour long trip and half as much again on Sundays and out of normal working hours (9-5...).

Didn't see you go by us in Gouarec campsite or has my mind going;-)
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
julian

Frenette in Brittany

Post by julian »

For Mr Breton bikes: is Frenette available in Brittany?

Thanks
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

I'm sorry I haven't a clue - a quick Google for 'Frenette' gave me a funeral home...
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've found Frenette bicycles, funeral homes and most appealing, this:

Frenette is a mildly alcoholic drink made from fermented ash leaves. It is an ancient drink, possibly made in Gaul around the time of the Romans, that originates in the North of France and Belgium. Variations on the name include freinette or fresnée frênée.

This ‘Forest Champagne’ was still widely made in Normandy villages (also Picardy, Lorraine, Haute-Marne, Provence and Velay) in the 1950s and 1960s but is not found as often these days. The famous French writer Colette was reputed to love and make frenette.