"Unknown" text. saying restart phone

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: "Unknown" text. saying restart phone

Post by Mick F »

In Airplane Mode, Wi-Fi is off, as is mobile signal. No output, no input.
The whole phone is off the air.
Just checked and tested.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 25 May 2022, 4:10pm In Airplane Mode, Wi-Fi is off, as is mobile signal. No output, no input.
Just checked and tested.
On iPhones (I have no idea about Android) you can keep Wi-Fi (and Bluetooth) on when in Airplane mode. I do it all the time at home as no mobile signal (but an occasional bad glimpse of a GSM base station) has a bad impact on battery so when at home I switch to Airplane mode and keep Wi-Fi on and calls and texts go through Wi-Fi Calling.

In Control Centre switch to airplane mode (using the top left of the group of 4 top left buttons) and for me Wi-Fi stays on. If it also goes off maybe it relates to the previous state but press the Wi-Fi button bottom left of the same group of 4 and Wi-Fi should come on leaving Airplane mode off (and GSM data (top right of 4) off). I've been doing this for years right back to iPhone 5 and through all iPhones I've had since.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

To clarify:
IMG_0241.PNG
(phone in Airplane mode, with Wi-Fi on and Wi-Fi Calling connected and all working because the VPN has stayed connected (if no data connection VPN will disappear).

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I went to settings and turned to Airplane Mode.

Tried to make a call. Nope. Wi-Fi or otherwise.
No Wi-Fi, no nothing ......... and that's the way it should be in Airplane Mode.
IMG_1254.png
IMG_1253.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Right, I get it now.
Turn to Airplane Mode, then select Wi-Fi and turn it back on.
It works then, and you can make calls and receive them via Wi-Fi.

It makes a mockery of Airplane Mode though.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 25 May 2022, 4:10pm In Airplane Mode, Wi-Fi is off, as is mobile signal. No output, no input.
Just checked and tested.
Psamathe wrote: 25 May 2022, 4:32pm On iPhones (I have no idea about Android) you can keep Wi-Fi (and Bluetooth) on when in Airplane mode. I do it all the time at home as no mobile signal (but an occasional bad glimpse of a GSM base station) has a bad impact on battery so when at home I switch to Airplane mode and keep Wi-Fi on and calls and texts go through Wi-Fi Calling.
Ian is right.

In iOS you can switch on individual interfaces in Settings while Airplane Mode is ON.

And those settings are now persistent... they will be whatever you set them to be the last time that you used Airplane Mode. This came in with iOS 11. It's fully documented:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204234

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 25 May 2022, 7:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 25 May 2022, 3:05pmOnly way to stop texts (with and iPhone) is to go to Settings and scroll down to Messages, and turn off iMessage.
Checked, and it works.
Messages and iMessage are different things.

Messages is an app on various Apple operating systems.

iMessage is an instant messaging service provided by Apple. It can use its own transport services independently of SMS or MMS. And it can send many types of data that can't be sent by SMS.

Turning off iMessage will not always block all SMS messaging. It might have "worked" because you and your wife were using iMessage.

Jonathan

"What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS?":
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207006

Messages (Apple):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messages_(Apple)

iMessage:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMessage
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Psamathe wrote: 25 May 2022, 4:32pmOn iPhones (I have no idea about Android) you can keep Wi-Fi (and Bluetooth) on when in Airplane mode.
On my Android tablet, selecting Airplane mode turns off wi-fi, but you can then manually re-enable wi-fi independently.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Well, I'm learning!
Thanks guys.

So, you can't stop messages completely.

Airplane Mode should turn everything off output wise.
Airplane Mode, is just that. Turning off the mobile phone but not the screen.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Next thought ......................

If turning off iMessages won't stop SMS messages, the only way to stop them, is to turn off mobile data.

Correct?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 26 May 2022, 8:17amAirplane Mode should turn everything off output wise.
Airplane Mode, is just that. Turning off the mobile phone but not the screen.
It works as described above.

Using persistent settings generally requires the least number of actions by the user. And it works well with what are now very common patterns of use such as in cars and with watches.

If you set your device so that Airplane Mode turns off all interfaces it will stay that way until you change it.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 26 May 2022, 8:17amSo, you can't stop messages completely.
Mick F wrote: 26 May 2022, 8:19am If turning off iMessages won't stop SMS messages, the only way to stop them, is to turn off mobile data.
I don't know another way of stopping all SMS messages and have asked Apple Support.

Anyone?

Jonathan

PS: This doesn't seem to be a common user requirement. My guess is that is because filtering messages from unknown senders and blocking messages from particular senders are commonly used.
Last edited by Jdsk on 26 May 2022, 9:09am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 26 May 2022, 8:19amIf turning off iMessages won't stop SMS messages, the only way to stop them, is to turn off mobile data.
I don't know what you mean by iMessages. There is an app called Messages and a service called iMessage, as described upthread.

You can stop iMessage from using SMS with the Send as SMS toggle in Settings for Messages.

You can turn off iMessage completely with the first toggle in the Settings for Messages.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The first toggle is Focus. (whatever that means)
The iMessage toggle is the second one.

It looks like you can turn SMS off as well as MMS.
IMG_1256.png
IMG_1257.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 26 May 2022, 9:42amIt looks like you can turn SMS off as well as MMS.
The Send as SMS toggle controls the transport service used for iMessage, not the global ability to send and receive SMS messages.

Jonathan