Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Mike Sales »

pete75 wrote: 25 May 2022, 1:37pm
Mike Sales wrote: 25 May 2022, 1:17pm Listening to WATO.
The greased piglet is wriggling desperately.
Now imagine if Harold Wilson or Denis Healey was on the opposition benches attacking him along with asides from a peak Dennis Skinner. Politicians ain't what they used to be....
Whatever his failings Harold was very good at skewering the Tories.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The current Private Eye has cleared up something for me. When the Met sent out the partygate questionnaires, the media reporting implied that responding was compulsory, which seemed odd to me but I assumed it was a feature of the emergency legislation. Not so. Answering the questions was optional (although any material answers would have to be truthful.)

The potential flaw for Boris Johnson may be that having escaped multiple fixed penalties, he's a lot of aggrieved Downing Street people who answered the questionnaires in detail and copped for it all.

I fancy that Brian Paddick's reported application for judicial review will founder. If it is allowed to go ahead, then the defence must surely be that the inquiries made - with reported sky-high costs - were proportionate. Taking it any further would have involved potentially lengthy interviews under caution with the suspects.
====================================================
Re Harld Wilson, when I commented on Keir Starmer's leadership of the Opposition it attracted criticism
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

You don’t have to be of any particular political colour to see that what he presided over was so completely wrong, whether in detail each part of it was illegal or not, that presiding over it was a massive, gigantic, huge, enormous, stupendous etc etc failure of leadership.

Unfit to lead.

A b@@dy disgrace to the country.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Andrew Marr on LBC explaining why he's never seen a scandle likenthe present Partygate :- https://youtu.be/C7bdgxpprVU

And yet on the BBC national news tonight I see ordinary voters still trying to say this absolute disgrace as nothing to be concerned about ! :?
Last edited by reohn2 on 25 May 2022, 8:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think a lot of people quickly tire of a political story. This happened with Brexit, when the oven-ready deal appealed to those wanting to "move on." This seems to be happening now with Downing Street shenanigans: people are tired of hearing about it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 25 May 2022, 7:21pm I think a lot of people quickly tire of a political story. This happened with Brexit, when the oven-ready deal appealed to those wanting to "move on." This seems to be happening now with Downing Street shenanigans: people are tired of hearing about it.
People want the Prime Minister to move on:

Screenshot 2022-05-25 at 19.27.01.png
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... esign-lied

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

That Johnson et. al broke the law partying is pretty bad. But for me the main issue is that it has demonstrated his lack of integrity, his repeated lying, his poor judgement, etc. and having a PM with so many failings is a serious problem.

Seeing public on TV saying "it was some time ago ..." and "we need to move on ..." is missing the point. PartyGate was a demonstration of Johnson's flaws and they are all still there and "moving on" wont change his failings (might even reenforce them as he realises he can get away with anything).

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There are various points which may be missed.

IMO, the big one here is that the only real power to check Boris Johnson is in the hands of his parliamentary party. For the moment, they see him as their best bet.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 25 May 2022, 7:40pm There are various points which may be missed.

IMO, the big one here is that the only real power to check Boris Johnson is in the hands of his parliamentary party. For the moment, they see him as their best bet.
I agree, a big failing in our system. I'm no great fan of the French system but ditch the Royal Family and go for a separately elected President with an active role (i.e. not "ceremonial").

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Was Emmanuel Macron a better role model than our head of state? If we were to replace our Monarch with an elected president, then I presume President Boris Johnson would be in that role.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 25 May 2022, 7:53pm Was Emmanuel Macron a better role model than our head of state? If we were to replace our Monarch with an elected president, then I presume President Boris Johnson would be in that role.
He would have been elected by the electorate and not by a few MPs/Conservative Party members. And next Presidential Election those who are staunch Conservatives will not feel so pressured to vote Conservative or get a Labour Gov. i.e. they could vote Johnson out and still vote for a Conservative Parliament.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote: 25 May 2022, 7:35pm That Johnson et. al broke the law partying is pretty bad. But for me the main issue is that it has demonstrated his lack of integrity, his repeated lying, his poor judgement, etc. and having a PM with so many failings is a serious problem.

Seeing public on TV saying "it was some time ago ..." and "we need to move on ..." is missing the point. PartyGate was a demonstration of Johnson's flaws and they are all still there and "moving on" wont change his failings (might even reenforce them as he realises he can get away with anything).

Ian
+1
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote: 25 May 2022, 7:40pm There are various points which may be missed.

Which is even worse as they are only interested in remaining in power and not what's best for the country,a sad reflection of UK politics.
Honour and truth have been ditched in favour of what's best for their party.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Chris Bryant on partygate,Johnson and the treatment of No10 staff:- https://youtu.be/dJb0ZEZTbz4
52seconds of truth to power,
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Jdsk wrote: 25 May 2022, 7:27pm
thirdcrank wrote: 25 May 2022, 7:21pm I think a lot of people quickly tire of a political story. This happened with Brexit, when the oven-ready deal appealed to those wanting to "move on." This seems to be happening now with Downing Street shenanigans: people are tired of hearing about it.
People want the Prime Minister to move on:

Screenshot 2022-05-25 at 19.27.01.png
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... esign-lied

Jonathan
Unfortunately in the short term it's not the 'people' who can get rid of the PM. It will need a defeat at a GE to do this. If there is an election
now or in two years time then only a crushing defeat for the Tories will remove him.
He's Teflon coated and and all the muck slides off and is quickly forgotten by the public.
The Tory 'machine' is very effective. The Gray report was yesterday's news and today measures to ease pressure on household budgets will make it fade away. Johnson must now have his fingers crossed that Starmer doesn't get fined and resign.