Attaching cable to drum brake

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jezzer_1960

Attaching cable to drum brake

Post by Jezzer_1960 »

Have a rear wheel for a tandem which has a drum brake. However I am not sure where on the drum brake to attach the cable. The cable to use is presumably activated by the lever belonging to the second rider.
PT1029

Re: Attaching cable to drum brake

Post by PT1029 »

If you mean which rider to operate it, it could be either rider, but if the stocker I would say yes as long as the steers person still has 2 brakes.

If your query is how to connect the cable to the drum brake arm, a photo would be useful (fittings vary a bit depending on make/model/age).
if no photo available, the make/model of hub and a description of some form describing what the cable end of the actuation arm looks like.

You will also need a cable stop for the outer cable, which might be on the bike frame, of on the hub's anchor arm (or separate but bolted on/slotted into said arm).
If you need to buy a brake lever, it needs to be for cantilever/road brakes, not linear pull/V brakes/ATB disc brakes.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

If the hub brake is like Sturmey-Archer ones then the cable outer is fixed to the non rotating inner part of the hub and the nipple on the end of the cable inner hooks onto the end of the hub lever.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Post us a picture of the offending item, including the chain stay.

I have a tandem with an arai drum brake - we have it operated by stoker, using a gear lever so it can just be left on longs descents.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Sheldon has a pic and some instructions here.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tandem-brakes.html