"Unknown" text. saying restart phone

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: "Unknown" text. saying restart phone

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 26 May 2022, 9:02am
Mick F wrote: 26 May 2022, 8:17amSo, you can't stop messages completely.
Mick F wrote: 26 May 2022, 8:19am If turning off iMessages won't stop SMS messages, the only way to stop them, is to turn off mobile data.
I don't know another way of stopping all SMS messages and have asked Apple Support.
And the first Community response says that there isn't another way.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 26 May 2022, 8:19am Next thought ......................

If turning off iMessages won't stop SMS messages, the only way to stop them, is to turn off mobile data.

Correct?
SMS messages can still be received through Wi-Fi calling (which only needs Wi-Fi i.e. it's not necessarily Mobile Data if you have Wi-Fi Calling enabled). If you get charged for them whilst overseas (beyond any free roaming agreements) is raised above ...)

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 26 May 2022, 9:42am The first toggle is Focus. (whatever that means)
The iMessage toggle is the second one.

It looks like you can turn SMS off as well as MMS.

IMG_1256.pngIMG_1257.png
I believe "Focus" is an enhanced form of "Do Not Disturb". If my understanding is correct (and I don't use it so please correct me if I'm wrong), blocking SMS /iMessage notifications through focus will still allow them to be received on the phone just the phone wont pop-up a notification/mak a sound whilst the "Focus" prevents that. But as the phone handset has received the SMS, your phone company will charge you as they are not concerned whether your phone settings make noises/pop-ups or whatever.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

All interesting stuff.
Just come home from doing a spot of shopping, and going out with the dog for a walk in a few minutes.

Mrs Mick F is flying back on Sunday early hours, and she's more than likely going back to Gambia at the end of the year or early next year. By that time, I'll have got to the bottom of this issue.

We're with Vodafone, so I'll be logging into my account and seeing if you can turn off texts at their end, or ask them if it can be arranged.

Off out now.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 26 May 2022, 11:32am All interesting stuff.
Just come home from doing a spot of shopping, and going out with the dog for a walk in a few minutes.

Mrs Mick F is flying back on Sunday early hours, and she's more than likely going back to Gambia at the end of the year or early next year. By that time, I'll have got to the bottom of this issue.

We're with Vodafone, so I'll be logging into my account and seeing if you can turn off texts at their end, or ask them if it can be arranged.

Off out now.
Might be more useful to ask them (and get it noted on your account) if Wi-Fi Calling calls & texts will be charged when in Gambia. If they say (and note) that if connected through Wi-Fi Calling then just go into airplane mode.

It's not just texts. If she is in Gambia with the SIM and not in Airplane mode and one of those "I'm calling you about the accident you had to get you compensation ..." SCAM calls happens £21 to receive a text will look cheap.

You said it's a new iPhone in which case it's probably dual SIM. Switch her Vodafone SIM to be an eSIM and then she can use a local SIM with the Vodafone eSIM disabled (so local SIM works fine, Vodafone eSim can't receive anything). If you need a One-time PIN, she can switch to Airplane mode, enable the Vodafone SIM and receive the code through Wi-Fi Calling. Very quick, just a few button presses - assuming Vodafone say (and record) that Wi-Fi Calling when in Gambia is free (or rather included in contract free minutes/texts).

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

AFAIK, communicating one-time PINs by this means or any other is taboo and the more tortuous the lines of communication, the more it may be likely to come unstuck. If the baddies did get the details and extracted some funds, you'd be up a gum tree without a paddle. Or up a creek without a prayer
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi guys! :D

I've just spent a "happy" half-hour logged into My Vodafone.
Absolutely rubbish with respect to finding out how much it costs to receive a call or text whilst abroad.
It tells you how much it costs to use your phone when abroad locally, and to call/text to UK, but not anything about how much it costs to receive a call or a text whilst you're abroad from the UK.

Only option is to speak to them on the phone and ask a human being. I'll leave that to Mrs Mick F in the next few months.
------------------------------------------
BTW, she hasn't got a "new phone" as it's me that's got the latest iPhone SE. Her's is like my old one, an iPhone 6s. I'll be suggesting she gets the SE.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 26 May 2022, 2:39pm Hi guys! :D

I've just spent a "happy" half-hour logged into My Vodafone.
Absolutely rubbish with respect to finding out how much it costs to receive a call or text whilst abroad.
It tells you how much it costs to use your phone when abroad locally, and to call/text to UK, but not anything about how much it costs to receive a call or a text whilst you're abroad from the UK.

Only option is to speak to them on the phone and ask a human being. I'll leave that to Mrs Mick F in the next few months.
------------------------------------------
BTW, she hasn't got a "new phone" as it's me that's got the latest iPhone SE. Her's is like my old one, an iPhone 6s. I'll be suggesting she gets the SE.
With EE I've found that different Customer Service people can give different answers to the same question. So if it's a crucial feature I'm going to use that might cost me I ask them to put a note on my account to confirm that "<xyz> is currently going to cost ... (or is free)" - that way if the agent is incorrect I have a good case to argue against any charges. Or confirm by email or record the call yourself (easy to do illegally, just use hands free on the phone and have another phone using VoiceRecorder (built into iPhone).

Ian