French cycle routes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Stun

French cycle routes

Post by Stun »

Hi,

I'm looking ay a port to port ride in britanny, probably north to south coast and back. There are lots of cycle route but lots seem to be next to canals.

Has anyone ridden these, I'm a bit wary that could be getting a lot of punctures if it's anything like around where I am, though hoping not.

Any pointers would be welcome.

Many thanks

Stuart
simonineaston

Re: French cycle routes

Post by simonineaston »

Hi, and welcome. Can you tell us more about yourself - what sort of experience, your bike etc.? Plenty of folks on here have done a lot of rides in Brittany, so it'd be helpful to get a picture of you and your ideas first.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Nantes Brest canal is fine between Redon and Carhaix. Four of us did it and no punctures. I like it, others find canal cycling a bit boring. Not perfect but significantly better quality than the uk canals I reckon and also better than the C & 0 in the US. Being based in south Devon I’ve also cycled across Brittany a couple of times outside the canals and it’s very nice albeit not flat.

Also investigate Breton Bikes who posts here and has a bike holiday company based in Brittany- they do lots of the canal I think.

Not sure which other canals there are but there is a book I have voies vertes that I think covers it. Let me find the link.

This one o think, I’ll check when close to my bookcase later. https://www.cartovelo.fr/la-bretagne-pa ... 2-330.html

I also have a nice map with all main french cycle routes in it.

Here (this wasn’t my supplier, don’t know if they are ok). https://dash4it.co.uk/ign-discovery-of- ... QUQAvD_BwE
Last edited by MrsHJ on 26 May 2022, 9:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
zenitb

Velodessey

Post by zenitb »

I have only cycled from Roscoff..but a nice route. Stuff about the track surface is discussed here viewtopic.php?t=133578
50sbiker

Post by 50sbiker »

My wife and I are currently in Roscoff after completing the EV1 route to LaRochelle and returning by train.The trip was fantastic.Much of it by canal.There is absolutely no conparison between UK canal paths and French canal paths for cycling.We had no punctures,no problems and had a wonderful time cycling.Much of the surface is tarmac or well maintained compacted gravel type.The whole route is well signposted,well maintained and highly recommended.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

MrsHJ wrote: 26 May 2022, 8:10pm
I also have a nice map with all main french cycle routes in it.

Here (this wasn’t my supplier, don’t know if they are ok). https://dash4it.co.uk/ign-discovery-of- ... QUQAvD_BwE
I've used Dash4It lots, good prices sometimes a bit slow for stuff to arrive but then I always opt for their free postage!

cheers,

Keith