I wonder......

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

I wonder......

Post by pete75 »

An old chap in our local said the posh lot weren't telling us cars were a problem when we were all on bikes and only they had cars. He also said they weren't saying being fat was unhealthy when we were all thin and only they could afford to be fat.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
rotavator

Re: I wonder......

Post by rotavator »

pete75 wrote: 26 May 2022, 10:04am He also said they weren't saying being fat was unhealthy when we were all thin and only they could afford to be fat.
When I was in Portugal in the early 1980s it was still quite poor and there were not many fat local people and I got the impression that being fat was considered to be a sign of high status or wealth because only the rich could afford to eat lots of food. Who knows, with rampant inflation and food shortages, this attitude my come back into fashion.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

pete75 wrote: 26 May 2022, 10:04am An old chap in our local said the posh lot weren't telling us cars were a problem when we were all on bikes and only they had cars. He also said they weren't saying being fat was unhealthy when we were all thin and only they could afford to be fat.
Anyone remember which of the TV journalists was thrown out of North Korea 'cos he asked why the premier was so fat when everyone else was so thin ?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Academics and students at Oxbridge have to have ancient bicycles. A bit of rust and battered- even better. A brand new big brand bicycle is a faux pas.
Business people however usually do not take the bus or cycle. They like posh cars.