Has anyone disabled a Nexus 8 coaster/backpedal brake?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
saudidave

Has anyone disabled a Nexus 8 coaster/backpedal brake?

Post by saudidave »

I’ve just bought a 2020 ebike from a private seller without a test ride! More of that later. When I got it home and rode it I discovered it had a coaster/backpedal rear brake, something the Raleigh tech sheet of the time or ebay listing didn’t state. There is no need for it as the bike has Shimano MT315 hydraulic disc brakes front and rear. I have to say I don’t like it at all! I’ve googled it and it can be disabled by removing the brake shoes inside it and locking the operating mechanisms in place with a circlip/split ring. The question and reason for this post is, if you have done, does it operate OK? The worst case scenario is that I replace the hub with a standard Nexus 8 hub in a rebuilt wheel so no big loss if that is the case

The story behind this is that I had been researching the worth of my 2018 Motus ebike by watching them on ebay and ebay notified me of bikes I may like as a result of that. One was a Raleigh Centros ebike, 2020 model, step thru, 8 speed Nexus, Gates belt drive, Bosch Active line plus mid drive with intuvia display and 500Wh integrated downtube battery (Powertube). It had £100.00 worth of new accessories included with it, all the instruction leaflets you get with a new bike and it cost the seller £3,100.00 when he bought it before the first Covid lockdown in April 2020, according to the original purchase receipt that was provided. I bid £1,800.00 for it on a best offer basis. When I got there the seller was clearly suffering from advanced Parkinsons disease. He had bought the bike for his retirement the week before the first Covid lockdown, had a couple of short rides then didn’t go out for 3 months. In the interim period the Parkinsons symptoms started and his balance was destroyed. It had only 14 miles on the odometer, so I did a few rudimentary checks like battery charging OK, brakes & lights working, all the keys etc., and I bought it without a test ride as it was clearly brand new.
thirdcrank

Re: Has anyone disabled a Nexus 8 coaster/backpedal brake?

Post by thirdcrank »

Are you sure you can't live with the coaster brake? I only ask because IME once you have got used to it - which I did very quickly - it's an excellent braking system. I found that the only downside was not being able to back pedal eg when stopping at traffic lights to get the pedals in the right position for restarting but having learnt to cope with that I think it's a good system
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’d echo what TC says and yes once I’d learnt to stop at traffic lights with pedal in right position I loved it.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

I have to admit I had considered that I may adjust to it, although I think I would rather resolve the issue now rather than later, whilst I still have my existing ebike. Like you I am irritated in being unable to get the pedal in the correct position to start off again when stoppped. I'm for ever inadvertently braking if I coast for a few yards and I struggle if going up an obstruction if I'm on a dirt track, accidentally braking. There is also the issue of not being able to backpedal a bit when changing gears. It's another faff to deal with if I get a puncture etc.

I'd prefer to be done with it on balance but perhaps I should persevere for a bit
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I only did the unintentional braking thing once IIRC. I quickly learned not to do it again. I was only going very slowly so I stopped dead, with no ill-effects other than being surprised. At higher speeds on a road, I don't think it would do much harm. I can imagine that on a loose surface it wouldn't take much to lock the back wheel.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

Its the loose surface issue that concerns me. It also goes against safety logic. Two wheeled vehicle should be 75% front brake and 25% rear, not the other way around.
Last edited by saudidave on 26 May 2022, 2:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
grufty

Post by grufty »

Just to echo what TC and Paulatic said.
Two other advantages I found when I had one were that it was easier to brake and make hand signals down a hill, and I always felt it was less likely to be pinched, as most people in this country have little experience of them.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

saudidave wrote: 26 May 2022, 2:40pm Its the loose surface issue that concerns me. It also goes against safety logic. Two wheeled vehicle should be 75% front brake and 25% rear, not the other way around.
I’m not following :o What goes against safety logic?
Yes we should brake heavier with the front than the rear. Why do you think it can’t be achieved with a coaster brake?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

I used a sram IGH for many years and it was fitted with a back peddling brake. Yes, at times it was a nuisance but the problems became second nature to work around and it was very handy to have a third brake. To be honest I’d advise the OP to persevere with the back pedal brake for a few months and only after then to consider removing it.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

Paulatic wrote: 26 May 2022, 2:49pm
saudidave wrote: 26 May 2022, 2:40pm Its the loose surface issue that concerns me. It also goes against safety logic. Two wheeled vehicle should be 75% front brake and 25% rear, not the other way around.
I’m not following :o What goes against safety logic?
Yes we should brake heavier with the front than the rear. Why do you think it can’t be achieved with a coaster brake?
Because if you accidentally stick it on it is providing 100% rear and 0% front
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

Carlton green wrote: 26 May 2022, 3:25pm I used a sram IGH for many years and it was fitted with a back peddling brake. Yes, at times it was a nuisance but the problems became second nature to work around and it was very handy to have a third brake. To be honest I’d advise the OP to persevere with the back pedal brake for a few months and only after then to consider removing it.
I'm not at one with it and whilst I accept I I'll adapt to it very quickly (I have done to some extent already), I see no need for it at all and would, on balance, prefer to remove it. I've had dozens of bikes and motorbikes over the last 65 years and never needed a back peddling brake so why have one now? I prefer to back pedal slightly when changing gears on a Nexus 8 IGH, I am irritated by the issue of not being able to flick the pedals in to the right position to start when I'ved stopped and it's another component to both maintain and also to remove if I have a rear wheel puncture.

It's a subjective issue and for me there are several negatives and absolutely no positives whatsoever. It's an irritant. So, back to my original question, because this thread is now firmly off piste! Has anyone removed one and if so what was the outcome of that?
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I like coaster brakes. The disadvantages are well known - brake wear particles build up inside the hub, contaminating the grease, and it's best to stop with the pedals in the right place, like you would on a fixie, although you can lift the rear wheel and rotate the pedals if you forget.

The upsides are weather-independent braking, lack of cables (on a normal installation) and, surprisingly, lower weight in most cases. Coaster hubs have heavy shells or brake mantles but the freewheel is thrown in, and you save a lever, caliper and cabling. Go and add up the component weights for a conventional singlespeed vs a coaster hub, Separate freewheels are VERY heavy.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

rogerzilla wrote: 26 May 2022, 9:13pm although you can lift the rear wheel and rotate the pedals if you forget.
I'm afraid that with a 26Kg bike, with the bulk of the weight at the middle and the back, I won't be lifting tha back wheel to spin the pedals in to the right position after I've stopped! Weather independent braking isn't an issue with disc brakes front and rear and now you've given me another negative to consider - brake wear particles building up in the hub and contaminating the grease.

One way or another the coaster brake on my bike is going to be history whether it is disabling the brake or by a wheel rebuild with a "normal" Nexus 8 IGH.

I still haven't had a response to the tiltle of this thread. Everone appears hellbent in convincing me coaster brakes are great. Surely someone in cycling UK has attempted to disable a Nexus 8 coaster brake?
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

I removed one completely from a Nexus 7. Useful, as I didn't want to spread the rear of the target bike's frame :)
"42"
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

Can I take it the IGH hub functioned perfectly without it?
If mine is the same design then perhaps I could just remove it and add some sort of spacer to the assembly? I need to check the hub part nr and view the exploded view on line