Do you use toeclips?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pq

Re: Do you use toeclips?

Post by pq »

I persisted with clips and straps for longer than most becasue I was mostly a track rider, and most of us didn't trust clipless in the early days. I finally went clipless in around 1991 due to knee problems caused by clips and straps, although for a year or so I used a pair of Binda straps with my clipless pedals when racing on the track. I would never go back to clips and straps - they were fine at the time, but clipless is much better in every respect. I currently use Look Keo on road, Egg beaters off road and SPD for touring.
One link to your website is enough. G
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

simonhill wrote: 26 May 2022, 8:04am
Pendodave wrote: 25 May 2022, 9:46pm
simonhill wrote: 25 May 2022, 5:26pm Useful for me when touring as I can wear the same pair of nearly normal shoes for cycling, walking, travelling, etc.
I use them for exactly this reason. It's nice to be able to jump off a bike and walk up a hill, along a beach etc.
Handy for pushing the steep bits as well...
Another reason, that I forgot. Flat pedals and toeclips are not shoe dependant, which means that if your shoes get damaged, wear out or are stolen, it's a simple trip to the local market for a pair of trainers. Not so easy to find clipless compatible in the middle of India or rural Lao.

Yes it does happen. My friend had his shoes taken after leaving them to dry outside our bungalow in Vietnam.

This is part of my philosophy for long haul touring: basic gear with survivability and replaceability.
But SPD shoes combined with a dual-purpose pedal (clip-in on one side, flat on the other) fulfil all those requirements. Shoes stolen? Use ordinary shoes with the flat side of the pedal. SPD Pedals broken/stolen? SPD-compatible shoes will still work with flat pedals. Want to go for a hike to see the view from the top of the hill? SPD-compatible touring shoes are fine for a few miles (the Shimano ones have already been mentioned). Sure, I'd rather not do long distances on flat pedals but we're talking about last-resort contingency plans here. One could equally well argue that you should always cycle in walking boots, just in case your bike gets stolen and you have to complete the tour on foot.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I can't see much purpose for toeclips without shoeplates (more recently known as cleats.) For riding in ordinary footwear from plimsolls to pit boots, traditional - rubber block - pedals are excellent ime
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

AndyK wrote: 27 May 2022, 10:27am
simonhill wrote: 26 May 2022, 8:04am
Pendodave wrote: 25 May 2022, 9:46pm I use them for exactly this reason. It's nice to be able to jump off a bike and walk up a hill, along a beach etc.
Handy for pushing the steep bits as well...
Another reason, that I forgot. Flat pedals and toeclips are not shoe dependant, which means that if your shoes get damaged, wear out or are stolen, it's a simple trip to the local market for a pair of trainers. Not so easy to find clipless compatible in the middle of India or rural Lao.

Yes it does happen. My friend had his shoes taken after leaving them to dry outside our bungalow in Vietnam.

This is part of my philosophy for long haul touring: basic gear with survivability and replaceability.
But SPD shoes combined with a dual-purpose pedal (clip-in on one side, flat on the other) fulfil all those requirements. Shoes stolen? Use ordinary shoes with the flat side of the pedal. SPD Pedals broken/stolen? SPD-compatible shoes will still work with flat pedals. Want to go for a hike to see the view from the top of the hill? SPD-compatible touring shoes are fine for a few miles (the Shimano ones have already been mentioned). Sure, I'd rather not do long distances on flat pedals but we're talking about last-resort contingency plans here. One could equally well argue that you should always cycle in walking boots, just in case your bike gets stolen and you have to complete the tour on foot.
Yes, two different solutions. And defence in depth is needed for touring.

I use single-sided SPD pedals and shoes with recessed metal bits. Currently Shimano MT-34 (beware the sizing).

My wife uses plastic toe shovels and a range of shoes without metal bits.

Jonathan
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

O solbved knee problem with clipless. My feet can move whereas with clips and shoes plates they can't. Can't see the point of half measures without plates and tight straps.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

thirdcrank wrote: 27 May 2022, 10:32am I can't see much purpose for toeclips without shoeplates (more recently known as cleats.) For riding in ordinary footwear from plimsolls to pit boots, traditional - rubber block - pedals are excellent ime
A shoe with a rugged sole will grip the pedal, no need for a shoe plates. I ride with the straps fairly lose most the the time but tighten them up for climbs. Toe clips and straps help to keep your foot in place on the pedal, but still allow a certain amount of movement that prevents knee problems, at least it does for me. I still have Look Keos and the shoes to go with them, but whenever I use them, my knee pain returns. It goes away again when I revert to toeclips and toe straps. YMMV.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

TrevA wrote: 28 May 2022, 6:47pm
thirdcrank wrote: 27 May 2022, 10:32am I can't see much purpose for toeclips without shoeplates (more recently known as cleats.) For riding in ordinary footwear from plimsolls to pit boots, traditional - rubber block - pedals are excellent ime
A shoe with a rugged sole will grip the pedal, no need for a shoe plates. I ride with the straps fairly lose most the the time but tighten them up for climbs. Toe clips and straps help to keep your foot in place on the pedal, but still allow a certain amount of movement that prevents knee problems, at least it does for me. I still have Look Keos and the shoes to go with them, but whenever I use them, my knee pain returns. It goes away again when I revert to toeclips and toe straps. YMMV.
I'm just the opposite, my knees and indeed ankles prefer not to have too much movement, when i used toe clips it was in combination with some pretty hefty cleats, keeping my feet pretty much locked in place.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I notice some people here have complained that clipless pedals make their knees ache, because they hold their feet too rigidly.
In the early days, when Look pedals were the first and only, I heard the same.
I have a damaged hip joint, with limited movement. As my femur moves upwards it also moves outwards, in a gentle curve which causes my foot to swivel on the pedal.
When I was considering clipless, in the last century, I heard that Time Atacs allowed the most movement. They are also recessed into the sole, which makes walking easier, and I lived in a steep place.
Atacs, then, were the choice.
I found that I was lucky enough to make a good choice, and I have stayed with them.
I find it easy enough to remember to make the slight twist which releases, and the only time they have caused a fall is when I was neglectfull enough to let the securing bolts loosen.
My complaints are that the cleats wear, more so because of my foot swivel, and are expensive.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
ophspeed

Post by ophspeed »

fastpedaller wrote: 25 May 2022, 11:20pm
ophspeed wrote: 25 May 2022, 4:45pm Yes, I use them. I gave SPDs a go as I can see the benefits. However, no end of adjustment of cleat position and angle could prevent a pain developing in my left knee. It turns out that my comfortable foot position while pedalling is with my left foot rotated outwards more than SPDs can offer, so my knee was complaining about the foot being pulled straight.

I went back to toeclips and the pain disappeared. I love them, though need to make sure they're not too tight as otherwise I get tingling toes...
Couldn't you move the cleat on the left shoe to a suitable position?
I tried many times, but never seemed to manage to achieve a satisfactory adjustment.
Mr Tom

Post by Mr Tom »

I gave up on mine when I got my right foot stuck and almost lost my balance and feel into the traffic on a hill. At the moment I normally wear Vans shoes with waffle soles and have DX style pedals which a fine for me and seem nice and big and easy to get my feet onto in traffic and stuff.
esasjl

Post by esasjl »

I do on two bikes (steel, DT friction shift etc) to fit with the 'vibe'. I don't use them properly, just to locate feet on quite small and slippery pedals (Maillard CXC) and for a modicum of up-pull. On other bikes (ATB and transport) I use MKS RMX flats. I used to have 'clipless' pedals (SPD) but didn't really gel with them.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Or sylvan touring, which my exped bike has. No lack of grip with appropriate shoes - have ridden long rides with.
Sweep
Bice

Post by Bice »

I use SPDs and plastic toe clips according to circumstances.

Plastic pedals and toe clips are ideal for a London commuter or short distance excursions where you just want to wear ordinary shoes. (They are much less painful to bang into in the hall, too.)

I have a pair of SPD shoes that are "quite" comfortable in walking short distances, but they are still an encumbrance and I would never go for a 10km country walk in them (or particularly want to walk around a church or museum with a nice floor, either).

If I did do an extended tour, then the question of plastic pedals durability would be a question. I might then upgrade to conventional metal pedals, but not the faff of SPDs and having to carry an additional pair of shoes.

Ordinary toe clips are very underrated. On one multi-purpose road bike I do use plastic toe clips, which I tighten up: I don't think they are much less effective than SPDs. I always use SPDs on weekly club rides, though.
Daily: Carlton Courette 1982 mixte 42, 32, 22 x7
Van Nicholas Yukon titanium 50/34 10sp
Lazzaretti steel 1996 10sp 48/34
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
Marin Bolinas Ridge MTB c1995, 7x42, 34, 24
Scott Scale carbon MTB 27.5 inch