Lacing a Brooks B17 Narrow Saddle

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
slowster

Lacing a Brooks B17 Narrow Saddle

Post by slowster »

I have an old Brooks B17 Narrow which is the most comfortable of my saddles. The sides of the saddle are now splayed out by around 10mm or more on both sides, and I can feel them pushing further out against my inner thigh when sitting on the saddle. Adjusting the tension bolt is clearly not the solution (the sag in the middle of the saddle is only 6mm).

Wary of causing irreparable damage to the saddle, I have put off attempting to remedy this for some time, but at some point I am going to have to try. I found no advice on this on Brooks' website.

There have been a few previous threads in 2009, 2016 and 2020 on lacing a Brooks:

viewtopic.php?t=22904

viewtopic.php?t=106373

viewtopic.php?t=138938

Based on those it seems to me that drilling holes is possibly a better option than using a hole punch or a nail, since with the latter methods there may be a higher risk of a split in the leather developing and propagating.

People have used different materials for the 'laces', including flat shoe laces and fishing line, but the option that most appeals to me is a cable tie and making just two holes on each side of the saddle. That was what yostumpy had done with his saddle in the photograph in this post - viewtopic.php?p=1423511#p1423511, which looks very neat and unobtrusive.

However, before I proceed I thought I would post to see if anyone had any other advice or warnings.

If I do go ahead, I have some 5mm cable ties, but I wonder if I would do better to buy some slightly wider/stronger ones, maybe 8mm like the ones Carradice use for their Bagman supports.
Last edited by slowster on 27 May 2022, 1:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonineaston

Re: Lacing a Brooks B17 Narrow Saddle

Post by simonineaston »

You can get some nice leather thongs / laces - call them what you like - off of ebay ect. I used one to lace a Gilles Berthoud some years ago and it's lasted very nicely and looks the part, too :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Really, technology has moved on from pieces of pigskin and springs.
I should coco.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Not in the quirky ol' world of hide-top bicycle saddles it hasn't - try sitting on a saddle made out of almond nuts and see how far you get... :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
brumster

Post by brumster »

Valbrona wrote: 27 May 2022, 12:08pm Really, technology has moved on from pieces of pigskin and springs.
Backsides are pretty much the same though !🤣
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I laced a B17 and used a hole punch like this one https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-mu ... 40mm/293pr which I already had, and it made a very neat job of it. I also have a set of hole punches (the type you hit with a hammer) which would also work but would require a block of wood behind. I wouldn't try it with a nail! A brad point drill bit would probably do a neat job but you would need to get a block of wood behind it. Lacing works well. I also use a B17 Imperial which comes laced as standard.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Hole punch de rigeur, I think. Otherwise the hole is rough and ready.
S
pwa

Post by pwa »

A hole punch made for putting neat holes in leather belts is the ideal tool if you have one. The punch will have a sharp cutting edge. It is what a leather worker would use. A drill bit is a second best make do alternative.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Thank you for all the replies. A hole punch it is then. The leather is 4.3mm thick, and I suspect some of the inexpensive hole punches might only be suitable for thiner and softer leather, e.g. belts. I think my bedtime reading is going to be online reviews of hole punches.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I got a Draper one off of Amazon, (see here) which like most Draper tools, was a good balance of price, features and quality. Just the job for someone who wants a decent basic tool, that will last, if used sparingly.
S
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I'm a bit late to this.
I simply drilled my B17 Special. 2 holes either side and used boot lace to tie. It's been 2 years since I did it and everything looks fine. Be sure to stuff plenty of proofide in the holes to soak in.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Drill is fine.