Cash v Contactless use in France?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Psamathe

Re: France - cash or contactless?

Post by Psamathe »

beeb wrote: 27 May 2022, 9:26am agree that revolut is great
I just had a look and you have to pay a subscription! I carry two travel pre-paid cards but recently terminated one (company taken over and Customer Service plummeted) so looking for another but mine are free (and without the limits revolut seem to apply.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 27 May 2022, 12:17pm
I just had a look and you have to pay a subscription!
More on that, please...

Thanks

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 27 May 2022, 12:20pm
More on that, please...

Thanks

Jonathan
https://www.revolut.com/our-pricing-plans
e.g. even if you pay £2-99/m subscription you are still limited to £200/m no fee ATM withdrawls. Pay £6-99 a monthe and it increases to £400/m no fee ATM withdrawls, etc.

Ian
pal

Post by pal »

I use Caxton, and have been very happy with it. (I don't scrutinise their exchange rates v closely, I admit, so I don't know how good or bad a deal it is on that front; but there are no fees, and the 'user experience' is very smooth).
gcogger

Post by gcogger »

For fairly decent terms without a monthly fee, I use https://www.currensea.com/
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pal wrote: 27 May 2022, 1:27pm I use Caxton, and have been very happy with it. (I don't scrutinise their exchange rates v closely, I admit, so I don't know how good or bad a deal it is on that front; but there are no fees, and the 'user experience' is very smooth).
I also have Caxton FX. I used to have both FairFX and Caxton and travelled with both, both with funds - but for no good reason I ended up using the Fair FX most of the time (probably 'cos I could remember the PIN because I used it most of the time). But Fair FX were taken over by some other company and their Customer Services was suddenly a complete disaster so I discarded thaem (hence now looking for a 2nd such card).

I've not used the Caxton enough to recommend it but no subscription and no fees. It does have limits (e.g. two withdrawals per 24 hours, and up to a total withdrawal amount of £300 per 24 hours.)

Ian
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

pal wrote: 27 May 2022, 1:27pm I use Caxton, and have been very happy with it. (I don't scrutinise their exchange rates v closely, I admit, so I don't know how good or bad a deal it is on that front; but there are no fees, and the 'user experience' is very smooth).
From a quick look at the Caxton info it would appear that the free card give a couple of percent less on exchange rates than their paid for card. If that's correct it will come down to how much you use the card.
Revolut I believe uses the same exchange rate for all their cards, the only thing to watch is that you can pay a little extra over weekends which I assume is a de-risk for when the markets are closed.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I use the Halifax Clarity credit card. A regular credit card, but charge free use for overseas transactions. Interest charged straight away on cash, but you can pay it off immediately on the app from a Halifax bank account or a linked one.

You get the almost unbeatable MasterCard rate.

I have used extensively in Asia and Europe and it works fine both for cash and paying for anything and everything. Text service if check required.I even use in the UK sometimes.

More options becoming available, but I see no need to change. Money saving expert has an article on best cards for foreign use.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Pretty sure the standard revolut plan is still free (left hand side half way down the link above). I don’t pay for mine and although I get the occasional hint to upgrade they aren’t really pushy.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The Revolut's £200 cash limit is way too low for me, even £400 would be pushing it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 27 May 2022, 12:26pm
Jdsk wrote: 27 May 2022, 12:20pm
More on that, please...
https://www.revolut.com/our-pricing-plans
e.g. even if you pay £2-99/m subscription you are still limited to £200/m no fee ATM withdrawls. Pay £6-99 a monthe and it increases to £400/m no fee ATM withdrawls, etc.
Thanks, Ian.
MrsHJ wrote: 27 May 2022, 2:59pm Pretty sure the standard revolut plan is still free (left hand side half way down the link above). I don’t pay for mine and although I get the occasional hint to upgrade they aren’t really pushy.
Same here.

Jonathan

PS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolut#Controversies
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

My comment in the atm withdrawals limit with the free account would be that it’s a fair point.

Having said that if you take some cash with you these days you don’t need much in a short trip and if you are with a partner they can have another card. I’ve not managed to get anywhere near the limit on recent 2 week trips even though I didn’t take more than 20 euros with me. Longer trips might be more limiting but don’t forget that anything that can go on it eg shopping, meals, hotels as a card is fine. You can draw more than £200 but there is a small charge. So in reality you probably don’t need to worry about the limit unless you are either in a cash dominated economy or you prefer to use cash.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonhill wrote: 27 May 2022, 3:11pm The Revolut's £200 cash limit is way too low for me, even £400 would be pushing it.
Likewise. And you're into high subscriptions. I find when travelling (rather than cycle touring) that my expenditure bounces around a lot. Something amazing that can't be missed can be expensive so need more but then loads of other amazing places and your on way lower costs. And booking a return flight at end of travelling - even their most expensive monthly subscription would cause problems ...

Ian
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Psamathe wrote: 27 May 2022, 4:01pm
simonhill wrote: 27 May 2022, 3:11pm The Revolut's £200 cash limit is way too low for me, even £400 would be pushing it.
Likewise. And you're into high subscriptions. I find when travelling (rather than cycle touring) that my expenditure bounces around a lot. Something amazing that can't be missed can be expensive so need more but then loads of other amazing places and your on way lower costs. And booking a return flight at end of travelling - even their most expensive monthly subscription would cause problems ...

Ian
I’m feeling a bit stupid here- what’s the issue with booking a return flight? That isn’t cash so doesn’t count towards the limits. My day might go pay for hotel- card, boulangerie- card or sometimes cash, supermarket- card, ice cream- card or cash, museum visit- card, dinner- card, ferry or train- card etc. so total expenditure can be well over £100 a day depending on what I’m doing (also might be £50 if I get a modest hotel and don’t eat out) and I might do this every day for a fortnight so say total costs of £1500. No charges. Admittedly I’d be more likely to use my credit card for my return flight (and some hotels depending on the booking system) but that’s more for my protection and it’s usually prebooked before I leave.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

MrsHJ wrote: 27 May 2022, 4:08pm
Psamathe wrote: 27 May 2022, 4:01pm

Ian
I’m feeling a bit stupid here- what’s the issue with booking a return flight? That isn’t cash so doesn’t count towards the limits. My day might go pay for hotel- card, boulangerie- card or sometimes cash, supermarket- card, ice cream- card or cash, museum visit- card, dinner- card, ferry or train- card etc. so total expenditure can be well over £100 a day depending on what I’m doing (also might be £50 if I get a modest hotel and don’t eat out) and I might do this every day for a fortnight so say total costs of £1500. No charges. Admittedly I’d be more likely to use my credit card for my return flight (and some hotels depending on the booking system) but that’s more for my protection and it’s usually prebooked before I leave.
I've paid for flights in cash on several occasions.

Ian