New bike help

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Applesandpears

New bike help

Post by Applesandpears »

Discussion Starter · #1 · 7 h ago

Hi Everyone
After some advice please, will try to give as much info as possible
So after a hardtail bike through my cycle to work scheme so has to be through Halfords or tredz

Looking at max bud of £500 stretch to 530 max

Before anyone says it not a lover of halfords and voodoo just personal so looking at tredz

I have posted a link below to the selection available through tredz but am struggling with the choice so any help greatly appreciated.

Mostly cycleways but the odd blue or red (maybe) trail and general off road sort of riding

Have ridden before on said trails and that but been a few years

In terms of requirements
So i am 5ft 10 about 16 stone so not the smallest lol
27.5 or 29 not too fussed
Hydro or mech brakes are the hydro still better even at this price point ?
Fork type some are 75mm/80 some are 100 which is the better brand ? as 20mm isnt gonna make much diff i guess

A few different brands but not sure what is better the more recognised brand with lower equip or lower brand with higher equip ?

Anyway before i bore you all to death here is the link and thanks everyone (must be from said list please no other rec)
Jdsk

Re: New bike help

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

I can't see a link.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That works.

Thanks

Jonathan
oaklec

Post by oaklec »

Hi,

If it were me, I would go for the Lapierre Edge 3.9. All the bikes in the link are low end but this one has shimano kit throughout - albeit low end shimano kit. The big plus is that it has shimano hubs rather than no name / extra cheap brand.

Things to bear in mind are that it will be heavy (maybe 28-30lbs) and the bottom bracket will be a cheap no brand item that is unlikely to last very long.

It's likely the tyres will be pretty poor and at this price point pretty much all bikes have suntour forks rather than swisher items from the likes of rockshox etc.

Plus point for this particular bike is that even low end shimano components work well.

I do not work for shimano :D and have no experience of the Lapierre brand but it does look the pick of the bunch.

Hope that helps

Chris
Lynskey Peloton, Ron Cooper, Bates BAR, Yates Expedition, Dawes Sardar, Dawes Edge, Pashley Parabike, Dawes Clubman
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Would agree with that, hydraulic brakes plus the lapierre looks to have the best forks of the bunch (an actual lockout and possibly adjustable rebound damping).
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Those are the sort of thing that MTB hire places often stock. You may well be able to try a few out. Here in the Forest of Dean one place hires Marins.
Try to get as much Shimano as possible, easier to fix or match and I would be looking for hydro discs. Easier to fix and cheap to replace.
billyonabike

Post by billyonabike »

Applesandpears wrote: 26 May 2022, 9:30pm  Discussion Starter · #1 · 7 h ago

Hi Everyone
After some advice please, will try to give as much info as possible
So after a hardtail bike through my cycle to work scheme so has to be through Halfords or tredz
Hi mate, it's worth giving Cycle to Work a call and checking if it really has to be Halfords or Tredz.
I thought my work one was Halfrods till I called the scheme to check and they said I could have the eVoucher issued blank to use at any shop that was on the scheme.
So I did that and then shopped around and got a cracking deal on a new bike.
Give them a call and ask?
billyonabike

Post by billyonabike »

forgot to add that one of my mates has just bought a Merida Big 9 for himself and a Big 7 for his Mrs and they love them, he rides his every day to work and weekend rides in the forest. Both of those are in budget and would be a fine choice if my mate's positive review is anything to go by
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

At that price point good be better if in the second hand market. I'd try the Focus Mares range of it was me with £500 to spend. Gets you a lot of bike for the money