Has anyone disabled a Nexus 8 coaster/backpedal brake?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
squeaker

Re: Has anyone disabled a Nexus 8 coaster/backpedal brake?

Post by squeaker »

saudidave wrote: 27 May 2022, 11:04am Can I take it the IGH hub functioned perfectly without it?
Yes, but I recall some fiddling with locknuts etc.. Looking at a 2009 Shimano Tech Doc for the 8 a replacement dust shield is needed and I vaguely recall acquiring something similar for the 7, but it was a looooong time ago.
Nex8.jpg
"42"
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

squeaker wrote: 27 May 2022, 12:09pm
saudidave wrote: 27 May 2022, 11:04am Can I take it the IGH hub functioned perfectly without it?
Yes, but I recall some fiddling with locknuts etc.. Looking at a 2009 Shimano Tech Doc for the 8 a replacement dust shield is needed and I vaguely recall acquiring something similar for the 7, but it was a looooong time ago.Nex8.jpg
Squeaker, many thanks for this, however mine is ref SG-C6001-8CD and looking on line at the tech sheet, there is no option for removing the brake. It appears to be integral to the IGH. I shall research a little further however I suspect the only answer is rebuild the wheel with a regular Nexus 8 Hub. That isn't such a big deal as I paid £1800.00 for a brand new £3000.00 bike so if I have to cough up another £250.00 ot thereabouts for a hub and wheel rebuild then so be it
mjr

Post by mjr »

saudidave wrote: 26 May 2022, 2:05pm There is also the issue of not being able to backpedal a bit when changing gears.
That's a feature, not an issue! Backpedalling during changes is unnecessary on most hub gears and actually damaging to a few (including recent NIG Sturmey Archers). It seems to be an urban myth or maybe an overgeneralisation from some now-rare hub.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mjr wrote: 27 May 2022, 5:27pm
saudidave wrote: 26 May 2022, 2:05pm There is also the issue of not being able to backpedal a bit when changing gears.
That's a feature, not an issue! Backpedalling during changes is unnecessary on most hub gears and actually damaging to a few (including recent NIG Sturmey Archers). It seems to be an urban myth or maybe an overgeneralisation from some now-rare hub.
It’s what my Dad told me to do in 1963 with my first SA 3 speed hub. :D
When I grew up and had an SRAM 7 with coaster brake obviously I did it no more.
Sorry Dad :wink:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I learned to ride a bike relatively late, and I was a deraileur user from day one. Most of my contempraries had hub gears - 3 or 4 speed Sturmeys with the occasional BSA. I remember one girl with a nice new deraileur equipped Triumph Pink Witch who got less than ideal results by following standard practice and back pedalling when trying to change gear.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

mjr wrote: 27 May 2022, 5:27pm
My current ebike, a Raleigh Motus Grand Tour changes much better if I do a slight back pedal, so I'd prefer to do it.

As I keep saying I posted this thread beacause I don't like the coaster brake, not because I wanted to get lots of well meaning individuals to respond and try to talk me in to keeping it. Even my daughter who spent two years living in the Hague keeps telling me how good it they are.

The more I use the bike the more I detest the feature. I will either find a way to disable it or I will replace it. It irritates me beyond measure.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If it makes you feel any better, the longer your thread appears high in the list of active threads, the better your chance of it being seen by someone who knows the answer. I promise not to contribute further.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

Thank you, I too was working on the top of the list more responses principle, hence why I keep responding to virtually every responder, good or bad.
I just want rid of the feature!
mjr

Post by mjr »

I disliked the coaster brake on my 3 speed but I replaced the back wheel with a hub braked one. Still don't backpedal when changing and I'm surprised if the Nexus 8 is one that benefits from it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

mjr wrote: 27 May 2022, 8:22pm I disliked the coaster brake on my 3 speed but I replaced the back wheel with a hub braked one. Still don't backpedal when changing and I'm surprised if the Nexus 8 is one that benefits from it.
The Nexus 8 on my 3yrs old Raleigh Motus changes much better if I back pedal a little changing up through the gears. It is quite significant, which is one of the many reasons why I don’t want the coaster brake on the Raleigh Centros that I’ve recently acquired,
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

To conclude for now: In order to be considered as emminently sensible, sure and certain and in order to placate my wife and my youngest daughter both of whom have immeasurably more patience and common sense than I have ever had, I'm going to persevere with the coaster brake for an agreed period of one month or 200 miles. This is due in part to the opinions of the overwhelming percentage of respondents who think it's the dogs nads and also that of said youngest daughter whom it has cost a small fortune to educate.

If at the end of that month I still consider the back pedal brake hub to be a total waste of time, we have agreed that I will have the wheel rebuilt with a new Shimano Nexus 8 hub; Regular version.

I will report back in late June /early July.