Bike stolen - help with replacement

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
oxfish01

Bike stolen - help with replacement

Post by oxfish01 »

Hi everyone,

Beginner here. I had my bike stolen from work yesterday and I need a cheap replacement asap.

Can anyone tell me which is the best bike out of these three? I commute 10 miles per day. I just want a solid road bike under 200 pounds.

Thank you

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203964476148 ... media=COPY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255514776958 ... media=COPY

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 841576598/
Jdsk

Re: Bike stolen - help with replacement

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

That's:
Specialized Allez, £106
Trek Alpha 1.2, £150
Giant OCR, £190
all used.

Do you have the opportunity to inspect and ride any or all of them?

Jonathan
oxfish01

Post by oxfish01 »

Hi Jonathan

I don't think I will be able to inspect beforehand. I don't have a car so I need to make my way via public transport to potentially buy / collect.

The Trek Alpha 1.2, £150 and Giant OCR, £190 are accessible via train (I live in Birmingham). The specialized Allez is close to where my dad lives so he can collect for me.

If they were all of equal condition would one stand out in your opinion?

Thank you for responding. This is the last time I buy an expensive bike. Just want something decent to get to work on.

Lewis
gaz

Post by gaz »

Hello Lewis, welcome to the forum.

Wait for a few opinions and remember at the end of the day you're the one who'll be riding it and accepting all the "caveat emptor" that comes with a second-hand purchase.

You may need to factor in the cost of pedals. The Specialized has a clip in system, the Trek listing says it's being sold without pedals, the Giant looks to have flats. You'll know what you want.
oxfish01 wrote: 27 May 2022, 9:13pmIf they were all of equal condition would one stand out in your opinion?
I can't answer that but I don't feel they are all of equal condition. The Specialized looks to me to have had a longer/harder life than the other two.

Are there any community cycle recycling schemes near you where you can view, try and buy from a range of pre-loved bikes?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Hi

At face value the Specialized & the Trek both look ok at these prices, assuming that the size is right for you ( I don't do Facebook so can't see the Giant).

The problem is condition, which only an inspection would show for sure.

Is the frame bent/cracked?
Are the rims worn (ie concave)?
Are the bearings sound (bottom bracket, hubs, headset)?
Do the gears work ok, front & rear?
Does the seat post move (stuck posts can be a real problem)?
Is the drive train worn (eg is the chain stretched, chain rings/cassette worn)?
Tyres ok?

I fettle old bikes & some that superficially look ok can have a lot of expensive problems.

Before bidding it might be worth asking the sellers the above specific questions. If you get a bike & it is not as the seller described in his/her answers, then you will have some come back.

Cheers
geomannie
oxfish01

Post by oxfish01 »

Hi Gaz

I too think the Specialized looks the most worn. Appreciate the comment about the risks associated with buying second hand!

If I was in a better position or actually had some form of transport I'd be able to do a little bit more due diligence.

There's a few second hand bike shops in and around the city centre but I'm not aware of any recycle centres.

Best wishes
Lewis
oxfish01

Post by oxfish01 »

Hi Geomannie

"Before bidding it might be worth asking the sellers the above specific questions. If you get a bike & it is not as the seller described in his/her answers, then you will have some come back."

This is great advice. Thank you I will ask the sellers those questions.

Lewis
gaz

Post by gaz »

oxfish01 wrote: 27 May 2022, 10:29pmThere's a few second hand bike shops in and around the city centre but I'm not aware of any recycle centres.
Google search of "bike recycling Birmingham" gives a number of hits. First on the list is: https://birminghambikefoundry.org/bikes/

I've only been to Birmingham once and know little of its geography, you'll know whether anywhere looks promising.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Out of the three id go for the trek.

The other two look older / worn.

I'm not sure the spez has carbon forks either??

Trek has better wheels imo.
Richard of York

Post by Richard of York »

Hi there, I echo the suggestion of looking for a bike recycling scheme locally. We have at least one in York. The bikes are serviced and worn bits replaced before re-sale at usually well under £200. If you can find such a scheme it would mean you can try a number of bikes for size, condition etc.
Richard of York

Post by Richard of York »

Richard of York wrote: 28 May 2022, 7:44am Hi there, I echo the suggestion of looking for a bike recycling scheme locally. We have at least one in York. The bikes are serviced and worn bits replaced before re-sale at usually well under £200. If you can find such a scheme it would mean you can try a number of bikes for size, condition etc.
You could have a look at this place.
https://birminghambikefoundry.org/bikes/
oxfish01

Post by oxfish01 »

Thanks, I just emailed them. It looks like they only have a handful of bikes available at the moment but I'll see what they say.

Lewis