European holidays

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
foxyrider

Re: European holidays

Post by foxyrider »

roberts8 wrote: 28 May 2022, 1:28pm Not this year but it makes sense to pack the bike onto a plane and go longhaul way out of the eu. Lots of great winter places without 90 days max stay.
Swirzerland? Norway?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I accept both are not in eu but I was thinking further afield such as far east.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

According to etiasvisa.com you will need an ETIAS 'visa' for entry to Norway and Switzerland. From what I see/understand this will be part of your 90 in 180. All other get out of jail countries eg Cyprus an Croatia will also be included.

My hopes and plans to spend my winters in Southern Europe rather than Asia are not now possible, so a bit more long haul for me
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

foxyrider wrote: 28 May 2022, 9:11pm
roberts8 wrote: 28 May 2022, 1:28pm Not this year but it makes sense to pack the bike onto a plane and go longhaul way out of the eu. Lots of great winter places without 90 days max stay.
Swirzerland? Norway?
roberts8 wrote: 28 May 2022, 10:07pm I accept both are not in eu but I was thinking further afield such as far east.
simonhill wrote: 29 May 2022, 8:42am According to etiasvisa.com you will need an ETIAS 'visa' for entry to Norway and Switzerland. From what I see/understand this will be part of your 90 in 180. All other get out of jail countries eg Cyprus an Croatia will also be included.
As above. Switzerland and Norway are in the Schengen Area. Several EU Member States aren't.

Keep checking up to departure. There may be some changes to permissions if we stir up threats to the current agreements.

Jonathan
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Psamathe wrote: 28 May 2022, 10:56am
Never needed proof of funds before, never needed proof of insurance before, never been asked for where you're staying nor how long you intend to stay, etc.

Ian
Well I haven't been asked that ever - apart from in 1969 when entering a non European country and in 1967 when the UK had a restriction on the amount of money one could take out of the country and the sum had to be entered on my passport.
Apart from that I've not been asked when entering France.

For most people travelling to the EU it will probably make little difference although different EU countries seem to have their own version of entry controls.

Yes it's a disappointment to some who would like a longer stay but that in the present circumstances seems to me a something of a first world problem.
But I'm sure there are ways and means of getting round the problem - for example I could apply for that Irish passport I'm entitled to - or you may have a "friend" who can arrange any necessary documentation.
You could of course just ignore the ninety days limit and just stay as long as you feel like until you are found out - I doubt you would get more than a couple of days in clink and a deportation - they may no let you back of course.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ANTONISH wrote: 29 May 2022, 9:02amFor most people travelling to the EU it will probably make little difference although different EU countries seem to have their own version of entry controls.
Yes. Member States have the power to control their own borders. And that included the UK when we were a Member State. Unfortunately there was a lot of misleading propaganda suggesting otherwise.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ANTONISH wrote: 29 May 2022, 9:02amYes it's a disappointment to some who would like a longer stay but that in the present circumstances seems to me a something of a first world problem.
What does that mean, please?

Why are you dismissing other people's problems...

... is there some gain that makes this loss worthwhile?

Thanks

Jonathan
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Jdsk wrote: 29 May 2022, 9:11am
ANTONISH wrote: 29 May 2022, 9:02amYes it's a disappointment to some who would like a longer stay but that in the present circumstances seems to me a something of a first world problem.
What does that mean, please?

Why are you dismissing other people's problems...

... is there some gain that makes this loss worthwhile?

Thanks

Jonathan
There are many problems in the world - millions displaced due to war - people on the verge of starvation - in the UK many without adequate housing and heating - how is not being able to have more than ninety days holiday a problem ? to many people its an irrelevance.
I'm not dismissing a problem - I'm just seeing it in context.
I'm sure you are aware of the meaning of a first world problem.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ANTONISH wrote: 29 May 2022, 9:38am There are many problems in the world - millions displaced due to war - people on the verge of starvation - in the UK many without adequate housing and heating - how is not being able to have more than ninety days holiday a problem ? to many people its an irrelevance.
The restriction is not only for holidays! It also limits the freedom of those people struggling in the UK to help themselves by doing an "Auf Wiedersehen, Pet" and finding better work abroad, maybe on their bike Tebbitt-style, among many other things, but this is a holidays thread so understandably people discuss holidays!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mjr wrote: 29 May 2022, 9:55am
ANTONISH wrote: 29 May 2022, 9:38am There are many problems in the world - millions displaced due to war - people on the verge of starvation - in the UK many without adequate housing and heating - how is not being able to have more than ninety days holiday a problem ? to many people its an irrelevance.
The restriction is not only for holidays! It also limits the freedom of those people struggling in the UK to help themselves by doing an "Auf Wiedersehen, Pet" and finding better work abroad, maybe on their bike Tebbitt-style, among many other things, but this is a holidays thread so understandably people discuss holidays!
And visiting and caring for relatives and others.

And studying.

Jonathan
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Yes. Member States have the power to control their own borders. And that included the UK when we were a Member State. Unfortunately there was a lot of misleading propaganda suggesting otherwise.

Yes, Portugal can be extended to 6 months, but I suspect you have to fly in and out, otherwise you will need to pass though other eu countries.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Just about the 90 day plus 'holiday'. Plenty of people overwinter in warmer countries for a variety of reasons. I'd call it part of their life rather than a holiday.

For me, while it started as fun and adventure, it's now become part of my mitigating a long term chronic disease. Being able to cycle tour in warm to hot conditions has kept me relatively fit and healthy, with very low use of a particularly toxic immuno suppression drug. It has also avoided prolonged NHS care and treatment. Yes I do it because like to, but it ain't all sheer hedonism.

Other people, particularly pensioners, have found overwintering in Spain cheaper and certainly more pleasant than staying in the UK. This is something that may become increasingly popular with rising winter cost of living in the UK.

Furthermore travelling by bike in Asia is often cheaper for me than staying at home trying to heat my 100 year old, conservation area house and possibly greener too.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ANTONISH wrote: 29 May 2022, 9:02am
Psamathe wrote: 28 May 2022, 10:56am
Never needed proof of funds before, never needed proof of insurance before, never been asked for where you're staying nor how long you intend to stay, etc.

Ian
Well I haven't been asked that ever - apart from in 1969 when entering a non European country and in 1967 when the UK had a restriction on the amount of money one could take out of the country and the sum had to be entered on my passport.
Apart from that I've not been asked when entering France.

For most people travelling to the EU it will probably make little difference although different EU countries seem to have their own version of entry controls.

Yes it's a disappointment to some who would like a longer stay but that in the present circumstances seems to me a something of a first world problem.
But I'm sure there are ways and means of getting round the problem - for example I could apply for that Irish passport I'm entitled to - or you may have a "friend" who can arrange any necessary documentation.
You could of course just ignore the ninety days limit and just stay as long as you feel like until you are found out - I doubt you would get more than a couple of days in clink and a deportation - they may no let you back of course.
Glad it does not impact you as you qualify for an Irish passport. I don't so I am impacted. We had something and thanks to the extreme Brexit Johnson has required we have lost something significant.

Entry into France now has quite a few "rules" e.g.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/entry-requirements wrote:At French border control, you may need to:

show proof of where you intend to stay, for example, a booking confirmation or proof of address if visiting your own property (e.g. second home). Further information is detailed below
show proof of insurance for your trip. Please check the guidance on travel insurance here
show a return or onward ticket
prove that you have enough money for the duration of your stay. Further information is detailed below
You do not have an ‘attestation d’accueil’ or any pre-booked accommodation - in this instance, you may be asked to prove you have sufficient means for your visit, of at least €120 per day for the duration of your stay.
So for a cycle tour you only need €120 a day! We could have maintained Feedom of Movement but that was not the Brexit Johnson and cronies wanted. And not that many of us qualify for Irish passports like your do.

Ian
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

It's the proof of insurance that worries me. If I could obtain any it would be at prohibitive cost - I always risk relying just on EHIC.
I am finding it very difficult to determine whether or not Portugal insists/checks on it as well as proof of funds, return ticket and booked accommodation.
Flights paid for so I shall just risk it!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I had no problem entering Portugal on a one way ticket with a bike (flying). They only checked health docs needed at that time.

I regularly read TripAdvisor for Portugal and there are no reports of bona fide tourists being stopped. There were lots of worried people asking about this thanks to inflammatory (aka anti EU) articles in certain newspapers. No one reported an actual problem.

I would think a GHIC card counted as insurance.