Cyclist in Ukraine. Youtube videos

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
hemo

Re: Cyclist in Ukraine. Youtube videos

Post by hemo »

A sniper is needed for put in.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

It's amazing he's not been assassinated, there must have been attempts.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

There are at least 2 long threads in Tea Shop about general Putin/Ukraine issues. Can we minimise spillage into this thread, unless it directly relates to Pokatos, or cycling in his city, etc?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I've only now looked back over this thread (for obvious reasons) and notice all Pokatos' videos have gone "Private" and no longer show. Is this a recent thing or were the withdrawn (or made "Private") some time ago?

Ian
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Psamathe wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 11:55am I've only now looked back over this thread (for obvious reasons) and notice all Pokatos' videos have gone "Private" and no longer show. Is this a recent thing or were the withdrawn (or made "Private") some time ago?

Ian
They were still visible on 24th Feb (when I saw this thread, and posted my comment).

I don't know why they're Private :-/

Meanwhile, I follow [thru Facebook] an Audaxer in Lviv [because he was running an event I was interested in ~4 years ago]. He went totally quiet last week, then popped up with multiple posts yesterday. Quite nice to see, even though I do not know the guy personally.
All the posts were about the war, but none related to any hostilities in his region.
Pokatos

Post by Pokatos »

Hi again to everyone :)

It has been a long time since I posted last video here. Sorry for silence, I didn't expect a lot of interests here because of the war, so I didn't check this thread for a while. I'm ok, thank you for worrying :)

At the beginning of May russian army was throwed back from the Kharkiv area and since that time it is not so dangerous in the city like it was before. We even visited our appartments, just to take some valuable stuff and I even rode on my bicycle in Kharkiv a bit :) Roads were empty and it was not a problem to pass crossroads even without lights - there are really not much cars on the east-north of the city.
I would like to make a couple videos from there, but I was afraid that it is not allowed (I'm not sure), so I didn't shoot anything. I left my bicycle there, because we had a lot of stuff to take from there, but I hope in near future I'll take my two-wheels friend.

Anyway, I still have some unpublished videos, which I filmed during last summer and autumn. Some of them were filmed on the territory which are still occupied. I need some time to edit it and publish, probably it would take a weeks in normal life, but now I don't have so much time, so I cant promise anything. It would be nice to visit them again sometime and compare how it looks after war. Also, I understand that it would be interesting to record some fresh videos nowadays, but again, I'm not sure if it is legal, plus I don't want to give any hints to russians. I know they have agents which can inform them about our positions, blockposts and so on, but I don't to be free agent, they have to pay for it :D

Feel free to ask any questions, if you have any, I'll try to answer.

And of course, in Ukraine we all appreciate UK help. We need a lot of heavy weapons to kick russian asses and UK was one of the first who started to supply us. We will not forget it.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Fantastic to hear from you and I wish you and your country all the best. I hope your very brave country win.

This is outside your embassy/consulate in Edinburgh

And I modified my cycling top to fly your colours - the support you have here in Scotland is huge.
Pokatos

Post by Pokatos »

Thank you Pebble for support thanks to all people in Scotland :) Nice cycling top! How it was before? Was it just yellow?
Also, I just noticed funny sign on paper at the left down corner: "Владимир Владимирович трахет кошек" - which means "Vladimir Vladimirovich f*cks cats" :D
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Pokatos wrote: 29 May 2022, 10:13pm Thank you Pebble for support thanks to all people in Scotland :) Nice cycling top! How it was before? Was it just yellow?
Also, I just noticed funny sign on paper at the left down corner: "Владимир Владимирович трахет кошек" - which means "Vladimir Vladimirovich f*cks cats" :D
:lol:

Very nice to hear from you Pokatos. Look forward to the new videos. No rush - please keep yourself safe first.
Pokatos

Post by Pokatos »

mattheus wrote: 30 May 2022, 12:35pm
Pokatos wrote: 29 May 2022, 10:13pm Thank you Pebble for support thanks to all people in Scotland :) Nice cycling top! How it was before? Was it just yellow?
:lol:

Very nice to hear from you Pokatos. Look forward to the new videos. No rush - please keep yourself safe first.
Pokatos

Post by Pokatos »

The latest video I made from Kharkiv, it was 23th of Jan, one month before war.
Nothing special, but interesting and a bit unusual to see how people walk, run and even don't suspect that very soon it will be impossible to do common things. And who knows when it ever will be possible

Solocle

Post by Solocle »

There's UK wide support, for sure.
March 20th:
I realised that the German made dynamo light on my bike that I got last July had a "Z" marking on the rear reflector. :oops: So I went to town with some electrical tape.
That model year of Cannondale Synapse had neon yellow highlights. Just as well, because blue electrical tape is easy to get. If I wanted yellow it would have to probably be green and yellow "Earth"!

As for the commuter bike, this is what I did:
Pokatos

Post by Pokatos »

Hi everyone. Not much willing and time to record new videos, but here is some news from me

This event took place on 10/28/2021 - 4 months before the russians decided to play a war game.
Kupyansk was occupied for 6 months, but liberated at the beginning of September. Some places from this route are still occupied and, to be honest, it is unlikely to be safe there anytime soon. That time I got really cold and the camera didn't record everything, that's why the video is so short. It was my first (and so far only) 300km ride.

Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Momentarily confused there by your American style dates! But only for a moment. 300km in a day is quite something.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Pokatos wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 2:53pm Hi everyone. Not much willing and time to record new videos, but here is some news from me

This event took place on 10/28/2021 - 4 months before the russians decided to play a war game.
Kupyansk was occupied for 6 months, but liberated at the beginning of September. Some places from this route are still occupied and, to be honest, it is unlikely to be safe there anytime soon. That time I got really cold and the camera didn't record everything, that's why the video is so short. It was my first (and so far only) 300km ride.

Very best wishes to you and all your compatriots Pokatos.

And here's hoping for a future safe for you all, and to be able to enjoy cycling again.