Knee Replacement

pete75

Knee Replacement

Post by pete75 »

Anyone here had total knee replacement? I had a bucket handle cartridge tear in my knee. It was operated on over 20 years ago but with a reduced amount of cartilage it's caused what's described as severe degenerative change in the lateral tibiofemoral compartment. Apparently so far gone total replacement is required. What was the recovery period like? Did you do exercises pre the op to prepare for it?

Given what's said about NHS waiting times etc I've been quite pleased with the speed things have happened. Saw GP end of April, X ray a week later, consultant appointment last Tuesday. He said he could do the op in about 3 months time unless I wanted to have it done in the winter.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Re: Knee Replacement

Post by thirdcrank »

No personal experience but I'm at an age where I know quite a few bionic men and women, including a couple of new knees. Results seem generally excellent. The only really bad result was somebody who didn't follow what the doctor ordered and needed a hip completely redoing. Mrs thirdcrank knew somebody who found their new knee excellent but still depended on a stick, but they had the op in their 80s.

Good luck with this
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

pete75 wrote: 28 May 2022, 1:44pm Anyone here had total knee replacement? I had a bucket handle cartridge tear in my knee. It was operated on over 20 years ago but with a reduced amount of cartilage it's caused what's described as severe degenerative change in the lateral tibiofemoral compartment. Apparently so far gone total replacement is required. What was the recovery period like? Did you do exercises pre the op to prepare for it?

Given what's said about NHS waiting times etc I've been quite pleased with the speed things have happened. Saw GP end of April, X ray a week later, consultant appointment last Tuesday. He said he could do the op in about 3 months time unless I wanted to have it done in the winter.

Due to a skiing injury I ended up with a new knee a few years ago - titanium - and on Thursday I rode 100 miles, yesterday 60 miles, and today will do maybe 80 miles all for training for LeJog. I also hike about 20 miles a week. I hope that answers your concerns.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Its good to hear of these sucessful knee replacements, but perhaps I should caution that they do not always solve the problem.
My sister has had both knees replaced, but walks very painfully with a frame and prefers a wheelchair.
I don't want to discourage, but it is well to be aware that these things do not always turn out well.
My own hip replacement has made things worse.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I could do with a new knee and a new ankle, but when I broke my collar-bone 20 years ago the ortho said casually "diabetic bones don't heal well" so I reckon any surgeon will probably turn me down. Collar-bone did heal, BTW, but that was then.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Audax67 wrote: 29 May 2022, 8:05am I could do with a new knee and a new ankle, but when I broke my collar-bone 20 years ago the ortho said casually "diabetic bones don't heal well" so I reckon any surgeon will probably turn me down. Collar-bone did heal, BTW, but that was then.
The published studies on diabetes and negative surgical outcomes aren't consistent. But diabetes is nowhere near an absolute bar to total knee replacement.

I recommend a consultation.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pete75 wrote: 28 May 2022, 1:44pm Anyone here had total knee replacement? I had a bucket handle cartridge tear in my knee. It was operated on over 20 years ago but with a reduced amount of cartilage it's caused what's described as severe degenerative change in the lateral tibiofemoral compartment. Apparently so far gone total replacement is required. What was the recovery period like? Did you do exercises pre the op to prepare for it?

Have they given you any advice on mobilisation and exercise for before or after the surgery? I'd contact (by email) the physiotherapy team at the surgical unit, and explicitly discuss that including cycling.

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Jdsk wrote: 29 May 2022, 9:18am

Have they given you any advice on mobilisation and exercise for before or after the surgery? I'd contact (by email) the physiotherapy team at the surgical unit, and explicitly discuss that including cycling.

Jonathan
Have an appointment with the physio on the 8th of June so will ask.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pete75 wrote: 29 May 2022, 10:53am
Jdsk wrote: 29 May 2022, 9:18am

Have an appointment with the physio on the 8th of June so will ask.
Great.

Usual advice: write down the questions in advance so that you don't forget any.

Jonathan
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

No personal experience, but I cycle with a friend who has had both knees replaced. He is pretty tough (ex-paratrooper) and insisted on both knees being done at the same time. Recuperation is notoriously painful, at least initially, and he told me that if he had known quite the degree of pain he would have had them done sequentially. Apparently they get you moving/walking almost immediately after the surgery which is the worst bit.

Having said that, after a period he returned to cycling & continues to ride 10,000+ pain free miles a year.
geomannie
groberts

Post by groberts »

Had my left knee done in 2015, here's a record of my initial recovery. It's gone on to do well, though my leg's a little swollen permanenently + I now use a E-converted Trek MTB to help on the hills - more for my right knee which is on the way out and likley require replacement soon.

https://roundthebendpart1.wordpress.com ... -recovery/

+ subsequent progress:

https://roundthebendpart1.wordpress.com ... e-year-on/

+ now with a little e-help:

https://roundthebendpart1.wordpress.com ... ling-e-ra/
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Often what's overlooked is how muscles, that haven't been used in the normal way due to avoiding pain with a dodgy knee, take some time and perseverance to regain strength.
The surgery is often the easiest part of regaining pain free exercise.
Good luck and do the exercises :D
pete75

Post by pete75 »

francovendee wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 8:53pm Often what's overlooked is how muscles, that haven't been used in the normal way due to avoiding pain with a dodgy knee, take some time and perseverance to regain strength.
The surgery is often the easiest part of regaining pain free exercise.
Good luck and do the exercises :D
Yes that's what I've heard. This chap explains it well.

Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Another guy in his 70s had a knee replacement and the consultant told him to go for easy walks after about 2 weeks if he felt up to it. He ended up doing 10 to 15 mile walks week2 to 3 after surgery. You don't tell a long distance walker to do easy walks and expect him to do a couple of blocks walk do you? 15 miles was easy to him before the surgery and not long after he was back doing 20 to 30 mile walks without feeling it.

Another man of a similar age was also up and walking around very quickly too.

My view is that knee replacement a very successful operation and recovery from it is most likely. I think you want to know more about best things to do to help your recovery. Can't help you there but I know enough to say that you will know your body, listen to and be guided by it in your recovery. Speed in recovery isn't as important as a good recovery.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

I'm 75 and had a total knee replacement with spinal anaesthetic on May 3rd. Four weeks or so on, I'm currently at an average of 0.7 miles a day walking without a stick and I can just get the knee to a 110° bend if I grit my teeth! Ten degrees more and I reckon I'll be good to get back on a bike. How long that 10 degrees are going to take, I have no idea.

Based on my experience, the more you do for yourself pre-op, particularly in regards to quads strength, the better you'll be post-op. As regards the actual experience, if you watch any of the online videos of the operation itself, you'll completely understand why the knee feels like it does afterwards, and why recovery from a hip replacement is considered to be much easier. It's very invasive major surgery.

Notwithstanding the above, how do I feel about the prospect of having my other knee done before much longer? Give me six months to put this one behind me, and I'm up for it for sure :) Next time it won't seem so weird going walkies with a zimmer frame five hours after leaving theatre, nor for that matter having a clear recollection of hearing the surgeon hammering in the new joint whilst not caring in the slightest what's going on.

Handy hints - take a grabber/litter-picker thingy into hospital with you, and make sure you have a dressing-gown belt or similar that you can use to pass under your foot to heave your operated leg about until you get some muscle strength back. And buy yourself a kid's skateboard (the type that's about 17" long). Very handy for doing knee-bending exercises whilst seated.

ETA - Meant to also say take your painkillers regularly to keep the pain subdued rather than just when it hurts, and that it's not true that once you get home, your every waking hour will be taken up by exercises. It'll just seem like that ...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.