6p a pint anyone

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PedallingSquares

6p a pint anyone

Post by PedallingSquares »

It's been widely reported that Greene King will be offering it's IPA at 6p a pint on 30/05/22 for the Jubilee 8)
Unfortunately it's only one per customer :roll:
Pity there aren't a few Greene King pubs within walking distance :|
Paulatic

Re: 6p a pint anyone

Post by Paulatic »

Shouldn’t that be 6d?
Nearest GK to me is 20 ml according to their website. Don’t think I’ll bother
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

100 pints of your finest please Landlord!

What has Tim Martin got to say about this?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Paulatic wrote: 29 May 2022, 11:19am Shouldn’t that be 6d?
Nearest GK to me is 20 ml according to their website. Don’t think I’ll bother
Well spotted, but all the publicity seems to say 6p. To trot out one of my hobbyhorses, local publicity includes a pic of QEII looking at a pint of draught Guinness - the origin of a pint of beer including a lot of froth.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/best-in-le ... p-24084128

I doubt Boris Johnson is going to turn back the clock to the days when one pint = one pint, rigorously enforced by inspectors of weights and measures.
sjs

Post by sjs »

PedallingSquares wrote: 29 May 2022, 10:41am It's been widely reported that Greene King will be offering it's IPA at 6p a pint on 30/05/22 for the Jubilee 8)
Lots of Greene King round here. But I've never really liked their IPA. Abbot is a different kettle of fish.
PedallingSquares

sjs wrote: 29 May 2022, 5:58pm
PedallingSquares wrote: 29 May 2022, 10:41am It's been widely reported that Greene King will be offering it's IPA at 6p a pint on 30/05/22 for the Jubilee 8)
Lots of Greene King round here. But I've never really liked their IPA. Abbot is a different kettle of fish.
I don't think Abbott is on offer :|
PedallingSquares

So did anyone take up the offer?
I went to my local GK hostilliery and eventually had 5 pints of GK-IPA!
There was little take-up,it was mid-afternoon and I know the barstaff quite well,so I spent 30p!
I've not been in to see what the evening trade was like.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not going back to dig out the links to the publicity, but last I heard, they'd been notified that reducing the price to 6p was illegal, although it didn't say why, so they were giving it away instead. It was always the case that the offer was only for one pint - the password being 1952.

If some staff have been more generous, perhaps it's a sign of ignorance. Or indifference
sjs

Post by sjs »

thirdcrank wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 11:03am I'm not going back to dig out the links to the publicity, but last I heard, they'd been notified that reducing the price to 6p was illegal, although it didn't say why, so they were giving it away instead. It was always the case that the offer was only for one pint - the password being 1952.

If some staff have been more generous, perhaps it's a sign of ignorance. Or indifference
Or friendship
PedallingSquares

thirdcrank wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 11:03am I'm not going back to dig out the links to the publicity, but last I heard, they'd been notified that reducing the price to 6p was illegal, although it didn't say why, so they were giving it away instead. It was always the case that the offer was only for one pint - the password being 1952.
So technically I could ask for my 30p back!
(I won't obviously :wink: )
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

FWIW, it's occurred to me that the illegality of 6p a pint on beer stems from the fact that alcohol duty is levied at a rate per pint based on alcohol volume (ABV) unlike VAT which is levied as %age of the price.

AIUI, the boozers concerned belong to GK and are managed houses. It's not the staff's beer to give away

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-shopping/alcohol-tobacco
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Aye, in the words of Charlie Mops the King of Hops it's "only 2½d a pint and two and four in tax".
Have we got time for another cuppa?