Membership rates

Summer 2020 - Cycle Magazine announcement about membership changes
reohn2

Re: Membership rates

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 2:38pm
reohn2 wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 12:15pm Could it be that circulation figures attracts advertising revenues?
Cynic me :roll: :wink:
I don't know why you'd consider that cynical, I thought it was pretty much the way all publications work. Whether that's the local free paper or the wedge of a National Sunday where you're probably not paying enough to cover the pulp consumed.
Sorry for butting in,but I thought it was worth a mention.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

reohn2 wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 5:51pm
reohn2 wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 12:15pm Could it be that circulation figures attracts advertising revenues?
Cynic me :roll: :wink:
I don't know why you'd consider that cynical, I thought it was pretty much the way all publications work. Whether that's the local free paper or the wedge of a National Sunday where you're probably not paying enough to cover the pulp consumed.
Apology accepted :wink:
I wasn't questioning why you'd mention it. I was questioning why you thought that made you a cynic and the comment warranted a rolling eyes emoji. I thought it worth a mention in response that it's standard practice for most publications - That is they rely on advertising revenue and that is dependant on circulation.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

yostumpy wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 7:19pm Why can't we have an 'opt out' section, so that we can choose NOT to recieve the magazine in the post, thus saving money. I don't even bother to open mine, it goes straight in the bin, it's mostly adverts anyway, which creates an income?????. So, shall we say £10 a year discount without the magazine?
With respect, how do you know that it's mostly adverts if you never open it?
I find that the adverts are something of a directory to equipment and services and I don't find that objectionable.
I always look forward to the Spa advert! :D
However, I think we're getting away from the subject/object of this thread.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 7:28pm
reohn2 wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 5:51pm
Apology accepted :wink:
I wasn't questioning why you'd mention it. I was questioning why you thought that made you a cynic and the comment warranted a rolling eyes emoji. I thought it worth a mention in response that it's standard practice for most publications - That is they rely on advertising revenue and that is dependant on circulation.
It's a "club" magazine and whilst I don't mind the odd page of adverts,but it's a loonnngggg time since I read it as I handed my membership in when the club became a so called "charity",even then the adverts were beginning to encroach on the worthwhile content.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

I shall say this again and when I have sometime next week I shall supply proof that IMHO the magazine could be a lot better more like New Cyclist use to be . The advert question is a red herring I have magazine back to 1966, the space devoted to adverts was about the same
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I know we are the CTC successor but the magazine seems to be devoted to off roading and Ebikes currently with some cargo bikes. There doesn't seem to be anything much for those of us who ride road bikes on the road. I don't want to cycle up canal towpaths with all the dog walkers, who seem to have more right to them, and MTBs with impossibly wide bars. Nor do I want to ride all those trails and bivouac. It took me about 3 minutes to exhaust my interest in the current edition. Couple that with the cancellation of the concession and I see little point in renewing.
Philip Benstead

gxaustin wrote: 30 May 2022, 9:06pm I know we are the CTC successor but the magazine seems to be devoted to off roading and Ebikes currently with some cargo bikes. There doesn't seem to be anything much for those of us who ride road bikes on the road. I don't want to cycle up canal towpaths with all the dog walkers, who seem to have more right to them, and MTBs with impossibly wide bars. Nor do I want to ride all those trails and bivouac. It took me about 3 minutes to exhaust my interest in the current edition. Couple that with the cancellation of the concession and I see little point in renewing.
I understand your point of view but as a central London based cyclist I see quite a few cargo bikes and similar machines. What is the difference to the butchers bike or a long john bike? In terms of gravel bike it's a up market new version of light weight rough stuff machine which the new fashion on GCN. In terms of lightweight camping, that a consequence of bikepacking the new fashion.. It seem the new generation have discoved old ideas. It may be that older members may have forgotten their roots or moved on?
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Philip Benstead wrote: 30 May 2022, 9:32pm
gxaustin wrote: 30 May 2022, 9:06pm I know we are the CTC successor but the magazine seems to be devoted to off roading and Ebikes currently with some cargo bikes. There doesn't seem to be anything much for those of us who ride road bikes on the road. I don't want to cycle up canal towpaths with all the dog walkers, who seem to have more right to them, and MTBs with impossibly wide bars. Nor do I want to ride all those trails and bivouac. It took me about 3 minutes to exhaust my interest in the current edition. Couple that with the cancellation of the concession and I see little point in renewing.
I understand your point of view but as a central London based cyclist I see quite a few cargo bikes and similar machines. What is the difference to the butchers bike or a long john bike? In terms of gravel bike it's a up market new version of light weight rough stuff machine which the new fashion on GCN. In terms of lightweight camping, that a consequence of bikepacking the new fashion.. It seem the new generation have discoved old ideas. It may be that older members may have forgotten their roots or moved on?
Do you mean that CUK is London centric - it gets worse.
I thought our roots were in Cycle Touring. My dad's CTC Cyclists touring atlas c1947 has only roads marked. fashions do change and I know very well that many cyclists try to avoid traffic. However, CUK should be a broad church and not forget it's true roots in addition to modern trends.
You will recall that the much lamented CTC Travel predates the Rough Stuff Fellowship, by the way.
Philip Benstead

gxaustin wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 6:55am
Philip Benstead wrote: 30 May 2022, 9:32pm
Do you mean that CUK is London centric - it gets worse.
I thought our roots were in Cycle Touring. My dad's CTC Cyclists touring atlas c1947 has only roads marked. fashions do change and I know very well that many cyclists try to avoid traffic. However, CUK should be a broad church and not forget it's true roots in addition to modern trends.
You will recall that the much lamented CTC Travel predates the Rough Stuff Fellowship, by the way.

It should be noted that even though CTC was founded in Harrogate it HQ was often in London ie Fleet Street, Victoria Street and near Paddington Station. Also look at latest article in Cycle the membership, the membership lives where the population is greatest. Regarding riding on roads, it is my understanding past cyclist rode on main roads as there less traffic than today.

Many minor roads say back in 1920 were not surfaced or did not existed as today.

CTC travel in Spring Street, that was closed down due to poor financial losses due to mangerment .

It is important that CTC is well run.

Regarding fashion, at one time the club dealt with mopeds in club magazine.

What I think is important is that the club engenders a sense of belonging and is welcoming to all whatever there background.

But here is the rub, cycling club at least in my experience attracts a narrow social demographic, how do we widen our range ? I welcome suggestions.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

"Is this right?"

The comic - currently titled Cycling Weekly did run for a while as Cycling and Mopeds but I don't remember mopeds in the CTC mag
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Philip Benstead wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 7:30amBut here is the rub, cycling club at least in my experience attracts a narrow social demographic, how do we widen our range ? I welcome suggestions.
Here's one: as a general principle it's smarter for organisations to look to the future rather than the past.

Jonathan
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Jdsk wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 8:43am
Philip Benstead wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 7:30amBut here is the rub, cycling club at least in my experience attracts a narrow social demographic, how do we widen our range ? I welcome suggestions.
Here's one: as a general principle it's smarter for organisations to look to the future rather than the past.

Jonathan
The past has it's lessons - we ignore those lessons at our peril.
One lesson is that the future will have it's needs.
If we only look to the future we have to re-invent the answers to the needs.
That in itself will create more needs - our answers may be wrong and thereby again create even more needs.
Last edited by JohnW on 1 Jun 2022, 10:13am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

thirdcrank wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 7:37am
"Is this right?"

The comic - currently titled Cycling Weekly did run for a while as Cycling and Mopeds but I don't remember mopeds in the CTC mag
Just as you say tc - I don't remember mopeds ever being a subject for the CTC journal/magazine - whatever it's title at any one time.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

JohnW wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 10:08am
Jdsk wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 8:43am
The past has it's lessons - we ignore those lessons at our peril.
One lesson is that the future will have it's needs.
If we only look to the future we have to re-invent the answers to the needs.
That in itself will create more needs - our answers may be wrong and thereby again create more needs.
We should certainly learn from the past. But please have a look at the many discussions of the CTC and Cycling UK.... how many of them are discussing what success would look like in the future? And how many of them are filled with nostalgia, resentment and perceived slights in the past?

Jonathan
Philip Benstead

JohnW wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 10:11am
thirdcrank wrote: 1 Jun 2022, 7:37am
"Is this right?"

Just as you say tc - I don't remember mopeds ever being a subject for the CTC journal/magazine - whatever it's title at any one time.

I will get back on issue after I have a word with who has long historical perspective in regard to the CTC, it may be few weeks before confirmination.