Bike-Discount.DE order

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
David9694

Bike-Discount.DE order

Post by David9694 »

At the beginning of June I took a punt on an order for a dynohub USB adapter, some Conti tyres and a Cambium saddle (I needed cheering up). I mention the order content because there was a £££ threshold to get over before a UK order would be accepted. £14 postage.

By late on Friday 3 June, the package had been exported to the UK and handed from DHL to Parcelforce. Today, Monday 6 June no further news of its arrival here. I’ll keep you - ahem - posted.

Depressing isn’t is that Rosebikes have stopped shipping to the UK completely and Spa to Europe.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
David9694

Re: Bike-Discount.DE order

Post by David9694 »

2nd update - Tuesday morning - the package has arrived in the UK. Question now is whether I’m going to be hit with some random charge when delivery occurs in a couple of days.

Stay tuned.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

It's not a random charge, it's the VAT, import duty (if applicable), and the processing/handling charge.
Also remember there were two public holidays last week which will have created something of a backlog in the delivery process.
fossala

Post by fossala »

The threshold was because they don’t have to handle tax for exports to the U.K. if over £135. Bike24 are exporting to the U.K. and including the tax at whatever level.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

rualexander wrote: 7 Jun 2022, 10:00am It's not a random charge, it's the VAT, import duty (if applicable), and the processing/handling charge.
Also remember there were two public holidays last week which will have created something of a backlog in the delivery process.
Random = I didn’t know about it when I ordered.
It might be that I’ve been reading too many horror stories, which is a small part of why I’m giving this a whirl now and I’ll let you know what happens. Hoping for plain sailing!
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've ordered and received an ebike kit from Germany. Their website said all taxes paid. I was apprehensive that I may be charged a surpise fee but it all went smoothly with posting taking about 6 working days. The Tongsheng unit and battery kit cost me approx £400. Post was quicker than ordering from the UK. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Tonight’s update
Tonight’s update
David9694

Post by David9694 »

This morning:

Your parcel is being held in our delivery depot awaiting payment of customs charges. The addressee is being sent a letter outlining the charges and how to pay.

So Brexit is now delaying the arrival of my stuff. The charge will be annoying, whether it is significant, or insignificant.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Letter has arrived. Pay up or no stuff.

Is import VAT £35.29 different to regular? Can I grumble about it? if not then caveat emptor on all those tempting £GBP (ex-VAT?) prices just across the North Sea.

So is it fair to say a direct consequence of Brexit is is the Clearance Fee and Customs Duty? Total £15.46?
Attachments
Charges from HMRC
Charges from HMRC
PH

Post by PH »

Your import VAT should be 20%, but the seller shouldn't have charged you VAT so that's a net loss/gain
Customs Duty is something you wouldn't have paid pre Brexit and of course the handling fee.
We have to decide for ourselves whether buying from the EU is worth it, I suspect it will vary depending on what you're buying. The huge Brexit disadvantage is the number of retailers who have decided the UK market isn't worth the aggravation of dealing with, so we often don't have the choice. We can only hope it gets easier, ATM buying from the EU seems harder than buying from other parts of the World, that makes no sense.